Capturing video

Walsingham

Being oldskool I want to grab a five second clip from Blackadder for use in a presentation. HOW? Tell me how, oh wise forum baboons!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

whats the format, dvd ?

BBC section of Youtube.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

whats the format, dvd ?

BBC section of Youtube.

Download firefox internet browser. then go to the Tools option on the top tool bar. Then find new extensions.

Fast Video Downloader and VideoDownloader work great!

:thumbsup:

Youll need a program to play the FLV file formst I recommend VLC Media Player It plays everything.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Note that editing the clip may be a bit tricky, if the original is longer that is. I'm not sure how .flv does it, but mpgs (as in the stream, not the file type) is constructed in such a way that you can only cut at specific frames (keyframes).

If that is also the case with .flv, you'll need to find a way to convert it to a raw format first.

Of course, if you're using the clip in it's entirety, feel free to ignore this post.

Note that editing the clip may be a bit tricky, if the original is longer that is. I'm not sure how .flv does it, but mpgs (as in the stream, not the file type) is constructed in such a way that you can only cut at specific frames (keyframes).

If that is also the case with .flv, you'll need to find a way to convert it to a raw format first.

Of course, if you're using the clip in it's entirety, feel free to ignore this post.

No. You've hit the crux of the matter. I only want a quick five seconds. It's the short bit where Capt. Blackadder tries to explain to Baldrick why the war started.

-Elwood Blues

No. You've hit the crux of the matter. I only want a quick five seconds. It's the short bit where Capt. Blackadder tries to explain to Baldrick why the war started.

Actually, forget the rush. I've timed the clip and it's too long. I'd have to do clever editing to make it zip properly at the speed for the presentation. I'm going to use a still photo. But I'd still like to know how to do this for future reference.

-Elwood Blues

Which part are you stuck at mate?

what browser are you using?

Using Firefox. And thanks for the offer, but I'm going to go with still images. No video is better than the usual setup where the presentation becomes a farce because the video doesn't work properly.

-Elwood Blues

I use HyperCam when I want just a bitty clip of some net video. It's a desktop-recorder - I define/outline which pixel area of the desktop to record (just the YouTube window vs. the whole browser page/desktop, say) and let it do it's thing. If you use the right settings, it comes out looking just about as good as it does viewing it in the YouTube window. The program isn't really designed for this purpose, and anything longer than a minute or so and it starts to eat up too much memory etc. (on my computer anyway) and traditional methods of gaining the entire video would be better, anyway.

But it saves your short recording as a basic avi instead of whatever format the video on the site is, which is easily editable/convertible in most any editor I've ever tried. Downside is you have to buy it if you don't want the watermark logo, ala Fraps.

...disclaimer: that's what I do if I want a tiny very specific fragment in my own internet or home videos, but such is probably different than your presentation application (?), so I'm not actually sure if it'd work/is applicable, in terms of the format converting stuff and all...

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i use tunebite for capturing DRM content, and it appears they also have a version that will capture video streams targeted for media players. it's not free, but it is relatively cheap and works quite well (at least, for copying CDs it works well).

http://tunebite.com/en/remove_drm/index.html

the one thing about such programs: DO NOT do anything else with your computer while ripping something. make sure this is the only major program running and simply walk away. even moving the mouse can have detrimental effects since tunebite actually performs a significant amount of signal processing in software to implement the copy operation. this is the only way to rip DRM content without violating copyright laws (it's essentially the same as tape-recording a radio station).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Firefox has a good add-on called 'unplug' that works well. It finds or rebuilds the imbedded links in the webpage and downloads the video directly from that link. The add-on places a green fish in the upper right corner of your screen. See a video, hit the fish, it displays the new links ( or best guess ). Hit the new link and here it comes.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Easiest way is:

1. Use the aforementioned plug-ins to lift a .flv directly from the Youtube clip.

2. Use some form of audio converter (look one up online) to convert the .flv into some format that your video editing software will recognise.

3. Import the converted clip into the software and cut, etc.

This is the simplest way, but of course, depending on the format you convert into, and because of the original quality of those .flvs, they will look pretty horrible. But you wouldn't be looking at lifting youtube clips if you wanted good resolution, you'd be looking at acquiring the originals from a library or something, I suppose.