Exercise

Walsingham

Terribly hungover today. Was out last night celebrating the fact that I did my timed run (2.4 km) in 9 minutes. I am still fat, but man do I move fast for a fat man!

I've also pipped my targets for situps and pressups.

How's everyone else coming on? Sando?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well I think I got lots of exercise last night according the a) the stories, b) the cuts and bruises.

But yeah I need to get back into shape. I like to be able to do 20km in 1.5 to 2 hours minimum without straining myself. Ideally up hill.

I'm not much of a short distance runner, but I think 2.4km in 9 minutes is pretty good. What's that, 16km per hour? Nice.

Well I think I got lots of exercise last night according the a) the stories, b) the cuts and bruises.

But yeah I need to get back into shape. I like to be able to do 20km in 1.5 to 2 hours minimum without straining myself. Ideally up hill.

I'm not much of a short distance runner, but I think 2.4km in 9 minutes is pretty good. What's that, 16km per hour? Nice.

You're aiming for 8.5 miles in 1.5 hrs? That's what the regulars do as the combat fitness test (with 15kgs of kit). It's a tough target, but you're young and it's good to set your sights high. If you're doing that sort of thing for fun I'd seriously suggest you consider the Forces, mate!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

well its not running, but I have rediscovered my love for pickup games. I've finally gotten to the point where I can run two games back to back without sucking air the whole time. As far a weight goes, earlier this year I was around 200lbs. now I'm around 170lbs.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I've totally fallen out of shape since my daughter was born a year ago. I stopped climbing and I've only run a couple times. I still play hockey once a week, which is probably the only thing keeping me from going completely to hell.

Oh, purely for the sake of showing off, I forgot to mention that I ran it in 9 minutes, rested for two, then ran it again in 9:30! :thumbsup:

Of course, some would say this just proves I should have been trying harder the first time!

-Elwood Blues

I lost almost 13 kilograms(yes, you sweduclown) of weight during last autumn. It was also the autumn when I hopped on to the winds of student lifestyle to try out my still-wet wings. Go figure.

I have been very lax on exercise as(s) of late, but the prospect of having a steady job during the summer and excelling in it(graveyard bushboy lol) will give me impetus. Not to mention, I miss running and workout.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I walked to the nearby gas station to buy beef jerky today. Hey, I walked very fast. ;)

More seriously - I've been riding the exercise bike an hour a day, 30 min. twice a day, since so far it's the only thing that keeps the weird spongy-weak-knee thing from being a constant pain. It's odd how walking or weights doesn't help that problem at all. Doing the light weights/exercises for the back/upper body strength, hand exercises for the finger/wrist joints. Since I got "serious" about doing all of that consistently, it's improved my physical health/pain/abilities a lot, after so many back/knee/joint issues blah blah. I've lost a few pounds I guess, but since I haven't really altered calorie intake, that's about it. Losing that 15 or so pounds that I constantly struggle up and down with is not my specific goal anyway...the joint mobility/flexibility stuff is.

Bottom line: After six months, I'm finally starting to feel like my joints/tendons/spine aren't 200 years old. Which is a good thing. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest The Architect

Yeah I usually run 3.5-3.8km 3-5 days a week. Takes me 20-22 minutes.

But **** me, 2.4km in 9 minutes is bloody impressive, Walsingham.

I'm not sure at what point 2.4k's is on my regular route, but I'll look into it and have a crack at beating that. I think I can.

Edited by The Architect

You're aiming for 8.5 miles in 1.5 hrs? That's what the regulars do as the combat fitness test (with 15kgs of kit). It's a tough target, but you're young and it's good to set your sights high. If you're doing that sort of thing for fun I'd seriously suggest you consider the Forces, mate!

I've been doing competitive cross-country running and cycling since I was 6 years old... well, insofar as a 6 year old can compete. It might help to explain the quirky condition my body is in, which is that I never really lose or put on weight and never really get unfit. I can fluctuate about 5kg up if I do lots of weights though. Right now I'm at 70kg at about 6 foot. Which is why I suspect I wouldn't work in the Reserves (too small).

But yeah for the past 2 years I was doing training for Inward Bound, which as the link describes is very intensive. We carry a minimum of 5kg by rules, but mine usually ends up about 8-10kg (2kg food, 3kg water, then various misc like thermal blankets and a change of clothing). I've participated in division 4 both times. We ran 50km and 80km the first and second time. The first time took us 5.5 hours and we came 2nd out of 6. The second one took about 10 hours before we pulled out because we were lost. It turned out we were 10km from the endpoint and would have come 3rd because 3 other teams had already pulled out. Oh well. As division 4 being in the middle, we started running at about 2am both times.

Guest The Architect

Do you think it's too late for me to do cross-country? I've never run more than 5km but I think I could do long distances.

Nah man go for it. Start at 5 to 10km first and see how you go. In cross country it's more about getting to the end (endurance) than speed. Speed can come later.

Here are some articles I've bookmarked about the benefits moderate exercise in youth can have for you now and later in life:

Exercise fights disease and cancer: http://www.physorg.com/news126282509.html

Exercise fights dementia: http://www.physorg.com/news117303719.html

Exercise speeds up your regeneration rate and increases skin health: http://www.physorg.com/news115485563.html

Exercise cuts fatigue by more than half and increases energy levels - sedentary lifestyle implicated in fatigue: http://www.physorg.com/news123419982.html

Edited by Krezack

I know what you mean, Archie. I can hardly believe it myself. But it makes sense for two reasons:

1. I have been stepping up slowly but by inexorable degrees.

2. I made an initial mistake in measuring the distance and was trying to run 3.2 km in 10:30. ;) The benefits of being a moron!

-Elwood Blues

I lost almost 13 kilograms(yes, you sweduclown) of weight during last autumn. It was also the autumn when I hopped on to the winds of student lifestyle to try out my still-wet wings. Go figure.

I have been very lax on exercise as(s) of late, but the prospect of having a steady job during the summer and excelling in it(graveyard bushboy lol) will give me impetus. Not to mention, I miss running and workout.

You bloody bastard, it is hard to get work from graveyards and at least around here they pay well :shifty:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

heh some dude i met the other day and had drinks with on the weekend misunderstood when i said i did a graveyard shift

he thought i worked at an actual graveyard

saw him when we had drinks and he was like "how was working at the graveyard? do you like, loot the corpses and stuff?"

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

heh some dude i met the other day and had drinks with on the weekend misunderstood when i said i did a graveyard shift

he thought i worked at an actual graveyard

saw him when we had drinks and he was like "how was working at the graveyard? do you like, loot the corpses and stuff?"

But as an Obsidian/Black Isle player we know that tombs and graves are full of zombies and stuff. For which you need a mace or something.

-Elwood Blues

That would depend on the mythos of the zombies you were facing - for you would want dramatically differing weapons for, say, a World War Z style outbreak than you would in a 28 Days scenario. If you were fighting the more classical issue undead, a trench knife would be a nice weapon for hand-to-hand combat.

658px-Model1917_knuckle_duster.jpg

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Well, as the rest of you, I've been pretty lax with my exercise this winter. I recently started up again and today I tried running 3 kilometres, timed. I ended up crossing the finish line at 12.41. That's an average of 14.1 km/h.. which means I'm slower than a fat man :(

Still, I'm just starting to get ready for Beach 2008! I will improve!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That's an average of 14.1 km/h.. which means I'm slower than a fat man :(

:(:lol:

Never mind. Ultimately we all get old and wind up dying with a mouth full of soup or what have you. Main thing is we have a crack at it.

-Elwood Blues

Guest The Architect
That's an average of 14.1 km/h.. which means I'm slower than a fat man :)

You should feel right at home with every other Swede. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

So I thought I'd ask the exercise guru's - what's the best way to exercise the hands/finger joints?

I gently squeeze rubber balls ... is there anything better?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts