Headphones

Azure79

I'm looking for some adequate headphones that have surround sound. I've looked around the net and can't seem to find one that really stands out from the crowd.

I want to increase the sound when I play games, but I'm pretty sure my neighbors won't appreciate me bringing in speakers and a subwoofer. :lol:

Any suggestions or experiences for headphones?

Thanks!

I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80 ohm version). I use them myself, and I absolutely love them. Granted, I'm no audiophile, but they sound very good.

They're closed, so they don't leak much sound, and the bass is a monster, which makes them perfect for movies and games. It's like wearing a subwoofer on your head.

You can read some reviews of them here.

definitely sennheiser. You don't have to pay a lot either. I got phones for about 70, including shipping and they are amazing. It feels like the band is in the room with you when I listen to music.

"To be, or not to be a real RPG, that is the question.

Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows

or outrageous action... or by taking up arms against a sea of crap and by opposing: end them."

I feel outclassed - as I just use a ten-dollar pair of Skullcandy earbuds I got on sale (They're normally twenty-to-thirty) or an old set of iPod earbuds.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

We use AKG at work (I work at a sound studio):

http://www.akg.com/personal/cproducts/powe...anguage,EN.html

These are kind of expensive though, but if you want the best non-pro headphones.. At home I use a pair of Philips and it's like night and day.

AKG has less expensive ones too. These are surround and wireless:

http://www.akg.com/personal/cproducts/powe...anguage,EN.html

Not legal in the US though so you'd have to import, if that's where you live :thumbsup:

Anyhow, I can recommend AKG as a brand. I have yet to be disappointed with them.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I dont think they make surround headphones anymore, I know a friend of mine had a pair of Sony 5-channel but I havent seen them for sale anywhere.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

yeah, it seems to me like 5-channel surround in a 2-point speaker system would be a waste. i'm not sure how it would split the signals up to do 5-channel since you can't get any spatial separation. my guess is that sony dropped them because they didn't sound any better than stereo. i suppose with DSP some spatial tricks could be played, but you'd either need big earphones, or a system capable of doing the emulation on 2 speakers anyway. imagine testing those: "press 5 if it sounds like the following tone is coming from behind you to the left"... :sorcerer:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The thing was that those headphones had 6 tiny speakers, two big ones on each side and then two small besides those. The sound was good but I never got to try them properly

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Why would a set of headphones be illegal in the us.

Incidentally, I use Senheiser HD212, mid range, kinda deal it's just grand. I guess if you spent thousands you would get something noticeably better, but who has that kinda money, and I have moderate hearing loss in the high frequencies anyway, would be a waste.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Why would a set of headphones be illegal in the us?

Probably because of the radio frequencies these wireless headphones use.

My little foldable travelling headphones Sennheiser PX 100 sound great for their price class. At first I thought it was a little weak in height-reproduction, but after you get used to the strong bass, you can hear every detail.

It could be better of course, but it was the best sounding "portable" pair of headphones I had heard at that time, about three years ago.

edited for grammatical reasons, hope it's better now...

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Probably because of the radio frequencies these wireless headphones use.

864 MHz, that's a fairly standard phone frequency (e.g. 900 MHz phones)... about 100 m in distance, so maybe it's not so much the frequency, but the power (they don't mention what the transmit power is).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I use a pair of Sony headphones that I think I paid about $75 for. They're nothing super-special, but sound pretty good for both music and games. They are a little light on the bass, tho.

But I'm really into high quality bass and tend to think all headphones in the $50-$125 range are generally light/wimpy in that area. They're a lot better than little earbuds, absolutely, but they certainly don't "boom" imo - the cones just aren't up to it. I'm happy with headphones that don't turn my ears to mush on the high frequencies, which I'm extremely sensitive to.

I think any "decent" quality/brand headphones in the $80-$150 price range will serve you more than adequately, unless you're a very demanding audiophile. I didn't even know they had made "surround" headphones. That sounds odd...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think any "decent" quality/brand headphones in the $80-$150 price range will serve you more than adequately, unless you're a very demanding audiophile. I didn't even know they had made "surround" headphones.
A demanding audiophile would probably have to invest in a separate headphone amplifier, and would never consider such a thing as "surround headphones", I guess :lol:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Ideally, I'd like to be an "audiophile" but when I see the probable cost my lips pucker up in distaste and suddenly I decide I'm not very demanding, after all. :ermm:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Your health and comfort is a big concern with headphones as well IMO, especially if you use them a lot. I only use behind-the-neck headphones, and they can really hurt the back of your ear after a time, for example. The high frequency thing also applies to nearly everyone really.

Right now I have no headphones for the computer as it broke, and for the mp3player, it came with a set of behind-the-neck bluetooth headphones that are decentish. Unfortunately, the blinking light keeps blinking for the entire time it's on, so to avoid looking like a complete clown I had to put some duct tape over it. Now I'm only sort-of-a-clown.