Error 2

walkerguy

Just to let you guys know, I've got the problem again today. :sad:

I'd should add that it has only happened once today.

ADDED: Nevermind, it just happened when I was posting this ^ :sad:

MAKE IT 3 TIMES SO FAR TODAY...

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

I share this computer so I'm going to have to ask here in a couple hours when he's home, but otherwise yes. Assuming I'll be installing Firefox, I'll report whether or not it helps then. Until then, I'll just have to refresh, click, click, and click. :sad:

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

Doing some more research, I see that quite a few other folks have similar problems, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of tried and true solutions. A couple things I've seen are:

1) Try Firefox as a test to see if it happens with that. If it happens with that too, try #3 below.

2) Try some online virus scanners just to make sure your system hasn't been infected with spyware or virus (even if you already have an anti-virus package installed.) Here's a decent one: http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

3) Try changing your DNS settings to use something like OpenDNS at www.opendns.com. I've had great luck using OpenDNS on personal PC's. They also have instructions there on how to set it up.

Could it be related to this? http://gigaom.com/2008/03/14/the-telia-cog...n-web-for-many/

It's apparantly affecting a lot of people in Europe and the US, depending on how peoples connections gets routed.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, I set up a VPN on accident when I meant to set up an ICS. Anyhow, this was a long while back and I've only had problems for a few days.

this could be your problem though since it does not happen with any other sites, i'd say it is a questionable cause.

the problem with VPN that i have seen (regularly) is that certain sites will automatically bring up the VPN "logon" screen expecting you to connect through it rather than your already dedicated connection. not all sites do this, though when it happens it prevents the current site from loading. i have searched and searched an i cannot figure out a way to disable this so it only appears when i ask it to. it's a total pain. it's also somewhat random when it decides it needs to connect for you.

simply deleting the VPN icon from your desktop is not sufficient for removing the connection, btw. you need to go into your network/internet connections dialog (for XP "control panel"->"network and internet connections"->"setup or change your internet connections") and remove the VPN connection for it to be gone...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Yes, I set up a VPN on accident when I meant to set up an ICS. Anyhow, this was a long while back and I've only had problems for a few days.

this could be your problem though since it does not happen with any other sites, i'd say it is a questionable cause.

the problem with VPN that i have seen (regularly) is that certain sites will automatically bring up the VPN "logon" screen expecting you to connect through it rather than your already dedicated connection. not all sites do this, though when it happens it prevents the current site from loading. i have searched and searched an i cannot figure out a way to disable this so it only appears when i ask it to. it's a total pain. it's also somewhat random when it decides it needs to connect for you.

simply deleting the VPN icon from your desktop is not sufficient for removing the connection, btw. you need to go into your network/internet connections dialog (for XP "control panel"->"network and internet connections"->"setup or change your internet connections") and remove the VPN connection for it to be gone...

taks

How so for vista?

Could it be related to this? http://gigaom.com/2008/03/14/the-telia-cog...n-web-for-many/

It's apparantly affecting a lot of people in Europe and the US, depending on how peoples connections gets routed.

No, I don't use them. :ermm:

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

hmmm, i have that issue on linux systems, which is generally related to poor driver support from graphics manufacturers (which is improving, however), but not with winders systems. i am using firefox (and thunderbird for my mailer) on this machine, which is perfectly clear.

for vpn on vista, "control panel"->"network and sharing center"->"manage network connections" and you should have your vpn listed there. i don't have one set up at the moment though i'd guess that you simply need to click on the icon for it and remove it under some properties tab.

taks

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center

Thanks. :)

The images are of good quality again (:p) I didn't even do anything...

But I guess thats good. Also the "cannot display" hasn't happened today.

:alien:

Twitter | @Insevin

hmmm, never knew that, mkreku. i often turn my browser off when i leave work, but not always. i'll keep this in mind for the future. i'm still using IE at home, so i don't notice this issue, though mostly because i recently rebuilt my pooter after a critical HDD failure around the time of xmas. i simply haven't gotten around to updating all my software.

firefox regularly auto-installs updates, so maybe you picked one up and that was the change, btw. i've got mine set to ask, so i always known when it is updating (which happens rather frequently, btw).

taks

But I guess thats good. Also the "cannot display" hasn't happened today.

mine has been behaving as well. it's almost as if the VPN has "learned" that i don't care. i'm almost afraid to open it again since it might decide it needs to check every time i switch pages again. i need the danged thing since it allows me to access the IEEE Xplore database (lots of papers), which is why i have not deleted it. one more month of that and i'll be done, and VPN will get the boot.

taks

• 3 weeks later...

What is this? I used no [TAG] code. I did use several bolds, underlines, fonts, etc. (If you've seen my posts on the election thread you know what I'm talking about; this is where it happened)

post-23038-1208362311_thumb.jpg

Twitter | @Insevin

Thread Pruned - could we please avoid parallels between a piece of code and a virus that is devastating lives on a global scale ...

/rhetorical comment

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

• 1 month later...

That odd font change thing still comes from time to time, just temporarily for 1 page and then goes away again for a very long time and returns yet again temporarily. Its just odd. :wub:

Twitter | @Insevin

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Some things to try:

2) This isn't meant as a plug - just a tool to diagnose: Install Mozilla Firefox and see if the same thing happens using that. If it doesn't, then there's most likely something going on with the settings in Internet Explorer. If it does happen, then there's a connection issue between your computer, router, and/or our forum server.

i use FFox and everything's great. IE will give me problems occasionally on different sites. so, i'd advise the use of FFox, also.

well

whatever

nevermind