Question about the dialogue in Gameinformer

But what bad did Hot Coffee mod do agai? :ermm:

Hot_coffee.png

The Hot Coffee mod unlocked a hidden interactive sex mini-game in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that had been included on the disk by Rockstar North but not implemented in the final release. The content was proved to be original when it was found on console versions of the game, where it could be accessed by using certain codes. Jack Thompson, of course, got involved, and Hillary Clinton and other prominent politicians attacked video games to get public support. In other words, it made the nightly news and the general American thought that most games were like what they saw on the TV - an offensive blood and sex fest. The game was also re-rated AO.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I see no serious harm done

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't know why. They're not even naked. Fahrenheit got away with nude mouse operated lovin'. If only real sex was that easy.

Except they removed the nakedness and the sex scenes for the Indigo Prophecy version. According to Wikipedia it was as a direct reaction to Hot Coffee even.

If only Hot Coffee didn't happend.

Yeah, a "BIG THANKS" to Rockstar for that... ;):down:

Well I think that Rockstar was in the right. The content was locked out so, I don't think the game's rating should have changed.

And because of a mod Oblivion's rating was changed from T to M. The ESRB are way out of line.

What I wanted to know about the diolog was will diolog choices effect the result of a conversation? Will mission objectives change based on conversation responces?

The problem with that stance is that you would have to do console hacking or modding to get to it, and as such be intentionally looking for it. It isn't quite as simple as what the ESRB ussually rate, which is stuff that can be easily installed and as such accessed.

Should the ESRB also rate a bloodless game higher if blood can be accessed via an obscure and not documented console-hack?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

No - the ESRB should not. But I also do not think the ESRB should be rating games at all, at least not to the degree that they are the only source of rating in the USA... :ermm:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Someone's gotta do it (the ratings) - lets face it, there are much more mature-themed games than there used to be; as technology continues to advance so will the complexity of the games we play. Games like GTA are not what impressionable young preteens should be playing and yet, they'll do pretty much anything to play the game simply because they shouldn't.

Now, you could argue individual cases of youth who are mature enough to realize that what they see and do in-game is totally unacceptable in reality, but a great many of them may have trouble telling the two apart. THAT is a huge problem and it doesn't boil down to games, because as you all know, games don't kill people- idiots do. Idiots who draw inspiration from a video game were more than likely to have had some sort of mental issue to begin with- blaming it on a game is a cop out. Yet, thats what misguided crusaders like JT and HC would have you believe, its the game's fault.

Total rubbish; makes you wonder how anyone in their right mind would want these people in positions of power; however, I still stand by my original line - ESRB is a good thing and if they were not in existence, something else would be.

Speaking on Hot Coffee hey, it wasn't like they put it on there and explicitly told everyone NOT to touch it; I didn't even know about it til some nitwit hacked the game and put it out there for all to see.

To address Moat: blood and sex- two totally different animals, man.

No sig necessary.

That wasn't my point though. I could change my example though, if it makes it easier for you guys on the other side of the pond.

Should the ESRB also rate a sexless game higher if a leisure suit larry naked lapdance can be accessed via an obscure and not documented console-hack?

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

No - the ESRB should not. But I also do not think the ESRB should be rating games at all, at least not to the degree that they are the only source of rating in the USA... :thumbsup:

Only because of hypocrisy. :thumbsup:

How so?

Moat: I think the ESRB should rate a game based on what they are presented with; the bad thing with the Hot Coffee mod is that someone was able to figure it out earlier than they may have anticipated - I am quite sure they were aware it was still present in the code but it could be one of those things where they just want to see if anyone would find it. You have all kinds of investigative types who play the game so...there you have it. That it came out and caused so much controversy was something they should've planned for in hindsight; but who knew that Jack Thompson would seize the opportunity to get his 15 minutes of fame?

No sig necessary.

No - the ESRB should not. But I also do not think the ESRB should be rating games at all, at least not to the degree that they are the only source of rating in the USA... :thumbsup:

Only because of hypocrisy. :down:

How so?

You can have gallons of blood, but a little bit of sex or nudity automatically makes a game either a high-M or AO. :thumbsup:

-Hurlshot

Yeah, it is funny, hypocritical american thing

It is okay to slaughter half population of baddies, cause havoc and destruction in the streets but OHMYGODISTHATANIPPLE OUR KIDS ARE PERVERSED

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't equate blood with sex, I just don't. I think sex and its depiction are generally 'mature' - and you can beg to differ but a great many children, especially American children, are far from mature enough to view such and be objective about it.

No sig necessary.

Yet they are mature enough to be constantly influenced by violence and gore of the video games?

Sex is natural and positive part of human beings. You know there's a lot of studies about children's sexuality around too. And kids should be receiving sexual education since late years of elementary school, not to mention books, films and tv-shows are full with sexuality - hell, even merchandising has been very sexist for god knows how long

And nakedness =/= sex

It's not like seeing some bare skin forever corrups you or something. It is absolutely ridiculous showing a nipple can bring game's age rank higher. In Europe (and in many other parts of the world) attitude toward nakedness is a lot more natural ad uderstandable.

As for America, well, I blame puritans

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't equate blood with sex, I just don't.

Why? How is copulation, or even nudity, worse than slicing someone's head off with a gigantic sword or stabbing them with a blunt dagger? Oh noes, did little timmy see a titty? Well, that's going to scar him for life, not like all that good blood and gore that usually fills his games. If anything, we need more sex in games - make it as common as violence and maybe people will stop overreacting and use their damn brains for once. ****, we might as well teach children that they really come from cabbages and leave them to discover the truth for all the "good" most of our sexual education programs are. :lol:

-Hurlshot