British Humour is in the Genes

Humodour

I'm in the camp that believes that differences in types of humor aren't based on country.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I wish I'd seen this, despite the awful reviews.

The best thing you can say about Laughing in a Foreign Language at the Hayward Gallery is that it raises a couple of questions about the nature of humour. Can it transcend language and cultural difference? Can it exist independent of shared experience? Unfortunately for any potential interest the show might have, the answers are pretty self-evident.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Off-topic I really ****ing hate the modern "hur hur genetics r teh answer" trend going on.

Ah? Not a subscriber?

Bit of a Earth is 6000 years old fan?

Trolling gone wrong? :thumbsup:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Yeah, you were both trolling.

So how do people describe American humor compared to British humor?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I wasn't trolling :sad:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

My real problem with american humour is your crappy sitcoms, which arn't so much humour made for people who enjoy humour, but humor for people who enjoy watching soaps. The writing (and concept) in Friends, for example, is technically brilliant *for what it is*, but you look at the fan base and you find a bunch of giggling schoolgirls and other assorted losers who would turn their noses up at anything resembling actual humour.

It's really your animated comedy and latenight talkshows that show the real funny side of america.

Incidently, it seems that adaptations of more recent experimental british comedy, such as The Office and Peep Show have suddenly become very popular over there, but I find it amusing that they need to be remade for the American audiance.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Anyone ever watch Arrested Developement or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

You know who else didn't think that joke was funny?

Hitler.

EDIT: and yes, i'm familiar with Barry Humpheries, though I hadn't actually realised he was australian. Live and learn.

Hitler says your face is funny. Got any untapped green gold? ROFL.

My real problem with american humour is your crappy sitcoms, which arn't so much humour made for people who enjoy humour, but humor for people who enjoy watching soaps. The writing (and concept) in Friends, for example, is technically brilliant *for what it is*, but you look at the fan base and you find a bunch of giggling schoolgirls and other assorted losers who would turn their noses up at anything resembling actual humour.

It's really your animated comedy and latenight talkshows that show the real funny side of america.

Incidently, it seems that adaptations of more recent experimental british comedy, such as The Office and Peep Show have suddenly become very popular over there, but I find it amusing that they need to be remade for the American audiance.

I said Americans only care about sex/poop jokes! God, get that into your head! :woot:

Twitter | @Insevin

Anyone ever watch Arrested Developement or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Yes, and I enjoyed them both. I get US sitcoms on satellite here. Sadly, I've also seen 'Yes, Dear' and 'The War At Home', though I am trying to suppress.

For every good British sitcom, there are half a dozen sad unfunny tired derivative excuses for comedy that should have been strangled at birth and that the US never sees, thank goodness, or what would that do to our reputation for comedy? If you really like great British comedy, the place to go is BBC7 radio, where you can usually hear The Goons, Round the Horne, Radioactive, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue and many others on demand. :woot:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

You know whats a joke on british-english? That they've kept the "u" in words such as "favourite" and "behaviour" while we americans are trying to get speaking english as easy as possible such as petitioning to switch "through" to "thru". Ha. Sorry, don't know who Benny Hill is.

+1 ignorance walkerguy

dammit!

>:woot:

Twitter | @Insevin

I love American comedy, when it's done by Americans and not some weird minimum wage committee.

Will & Grace = lousy

Garrison Keillor = fantastic

Morthern Exposure = great

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Will and Grace is comedy ?

I thought it was just one of those things you wind up watching out of force of habit, like King of Queens or Raymond.

Seinfeld wasn't bad in its day.

I can't believe anyone would mention Friends and Futurama in the same sentence.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I love American comedy, when it's done by Americans and not some weird minimum wage committee.

Will & Grace = lousy

Garrison Keillor = fantastic

Morthern Exposure = great

Are those last two American? Never heard of them.

Yeah.

Twitter | @Insevin

You know whats a joke on british-english? That they've kept the "u" in words such as "favourite" and "behaviour" while we americans are trying to get speaking english as easy as possible such as petitioning to switch "through" to "thru". Ha. Sorry, don't know who Benny Hill is.

Dropping the u is stupid. It's part of a general Americanisation to dumb the language down. Exempli gratia: 'thru'.

Heh heh heh.

Dropping the u is stupid. It's part of a general Americanisation to dumb the language down. Exempli gratia: 'thru'.

Heh heh heh.

Dropping the 'u' from an increasing number of words may cause some confusion down the line. Just imagine dropping it from words like Mourning, Counting, Route, About, Soul etc.

Although (with a 'u') it seems like it is more words derived from french that gets the short end of the ou -> o deal.

Ungrateful louts not appreciating all the trouble William the Bastard went through to teach the english proper french.

Anyway, I am a fan of british humour. I liked series like The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf and shows like Benny Hill (Hills Angels might have influenced me a bit) and Monty Python o:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Although (with a 'u') it seems like it is more words derived from french that gets the short end of the ou -> o deal.

Dropping the 'o' would result in funnier words. Also, Futurama is funny. So are Flight of the Conchords. And Monty Python. I must be genetically messed up.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Dropping the 'u' from an increasing number of words may cause some confusion down the line. Just imagine dropping it from words like Mourning, Counting, Route, About, Soul etc.

Ungrateful louts not appreciating all the trouble William the Bastard went through to teach the english proper french.

Anyway, I am a fan of british humour. I liked series like The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf and shows like Benny Hill (Hills Angels might have influenced me a bit) and Monty Python o:)

I didn't say I was in favour of dropping u's. I said its funny how americans are just dropping everything, like Krezack.

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin