Alone in the Dark 5

Zoma

Very very impressive.

http://kotaku.com/357366/alone-in-the-dark-5-tech-demo

I certainly love the inventory system. If the abilities shown in the game about merging stuffs like McGuyver plays a huge interesting role in the game instead of a one trick pony, a plausible enemy AI, good Cthulhu inspired story,it could well be better than Resident Evil 4.

It certainly managed to capture the atmosphere in terms of graphics and music at least. Will this game finally be a true sequel of the original Alone in the Dark, that scared many players sleepless back then?

If pulled off correctly, this game may very well save Atari.

Edited by Zoma

Most impressive.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks really interesting and impressive, but the real kicker will be in how this stuff is actually used in the game, and how the actual experience of using a system like will be. If the controls are not good enough, then I believe this will be mainly an experience of extreme frustration, regardless of how impressive the physics are. It kinda looks a bit clunky to me, though obviously it's always different to play the game.

If they manage to pull it off, then it could be great though..

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

It's rare enough that games are actually dark enough to warrant player-held ligthing.

Actually, games are going more and more that route. Splinter Cell (try the multiplayer with 2 or 3 if you don't believe me), Doom 3, even Metal Gear Solid 3 had it at one point (and gradually brightened the area to simulate adjusting to the darkness).

Those are limited examples, I grant. But "rare enough" isn't so rare that I can't pull examples of popular series off the top of my head.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am now convinced "sticky tape" is the one thing you don't want to run out of in the case of evil demon-thing invasions.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

It's rare enough that games are actually dark enough to warrant player-held ligthing.

Actually, games are going more and more that route. Splinter Cell (try the multiplayer with 2 or 3 if you don't believe me), Doom 3, even Metal Gear Solid 3 had it at one point (and gradually brightened the area to simulate adjusting to the darkness).

Those are limited examples, I grant. But "rare enough" isn't so rare that I can't pull examples of popular series off the top of my head.

I probably did exagerate somewhat. I'm just tired of the amount of games that do it mostly as a two gig gimmick, the witcher would be an example of that since there were two or three dungeons at most where I needed to us some kind of ekstra lighting. There are so many more examples of games that give you tools to fight the darkness and forget to actually give you a logical point to use it, I finished Crysis and while the credits were rolling, I couldn't stop thinking about never getting to use that nifty night vision. Enough of my ranting though.

I'm still wondering about the chair-torch though. I realise that it could be mostly a way to show that stuff is possible, but it will be interesting to see if they can manage to make logical enviroments, that are usefull in the way that the videos are advertising.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif