Peter Jackson to produce two Hobbit movies

aVENGER

Some stupid things that Jackson did was making Legolas into some lame action hero. Sliding down the stairs at Helms Deep was one of those WTF moments.
I thought the portrayal of Aragorn was off as well, the reluctant/whiny hero of the films bears little resemblance to the character written in the books and don't even get me started on the comic relief.. I mean Gimli the Dwarf.

Gimli's treatment farking annoyed me as well, even tho I also admittedly laughed when I was supposed to. :)

I still find Elijah Wood's performance the most cringe-inducing thing about the films. Gah.

I didn't find Aragorn whiny, however. Brooding, maybe.

Firmly in the McKellan camp, too.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know I sure got a "but I don't wanna be king" vibe from him, while in the book he knew what he wanted and went and took it. Could just be me however.

How is not wanting to be king "whiny?" Did he ever say "I DON'T WANT TO, DAD!"

Even Bruce Campbell didn't want to save people from legions of the undead, but that doesn't make him a whiner.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't know I sure got a "but I don't wanna be king" vibe from him, while in the book he knew what he wanted and went and took it. Could just be me however.

How is not wanting to be king "whiny?" Did he ever say "I DON'T WANT TO, DAD!"

Even Bruce Campbell didn't want to save people from legions of the undead, but that doesn't make him a whiner.

The restructuring of Strider as a reluctant hero didn't feel out of place to me, it fit the purposes of movie adaptation. I had been sort of disappointed if the characters would have been exactly the same as in the book.

Actually, it felt that Jackson had actually breathed more life to the characters the Tolkien. His strong point never was character creation. For instance, Legolas was almost a blank sheet compared to the movie version.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Legolas, while entertaining, wasn't much better defined as a character in the movies than Gimli, I'd agree. He was the semi-straightman to Gimli's laughtrack.

But ensemble cast films can't give everyone depth - there's just not enough time. It's more possible in TV shows that last for seasons.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speaking as an irascible stumpster myself I for one thought Gimli should have been a lot more dangerous and a lot less funny. But I guess it was 'necessary' for the film to attract the widest possible audience.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yup, he definitely missed the genuine mean streak from the books and instead was more of a stock 'dwarf with scottish accent' type deal.

Well, much as I am fond of that guy who played him, he was hardly a great actor. I think they should have got Anthony Hopkins to do it. But I say that about everything.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yup, he definitely missed the genuine mean streak from the books and instead was more of a stock 'dwarf with scottish accent' type deal.

I think they should have got Anthony Hopkins to do it. But I say that about everything.

what about Marie Antoinette? With enough make-up?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I think they should have got Anthony Hopkins to do it. But I say that about everything.

what about Marie Antoinette? With enough make-up?

Hell, I'd suggest he remake Buffy the Vampire Slayer with him as Buffy.

-Elwood Blues

Well! We have a particular here!

kirottu said: