mac vs. windows

The Owner

Well, first of all, macintosh is for jerks and people who are too dumb to handle a regular PC. Second, people like you like them.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Kaftan, behave yourself.

Macs tend to be overpriced pieces of crap.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Im sorry, it's just that the only six people I know who use Macintosh are incompetent jerks so I always get mad when people bring it up.

-I got sick of my PC getting viruses and trojans so I bought a mac and it rocks! Apple are gods!

-You could hav just stopped downloading cracks from russian war3z-sitez and saved $2000

-But with my Mac I dont even have to worry about that because its so awesome!

-You know what i think is awesome? That you'v just spent $2000 on a machine that cant run the software you need to pass the class

-Yeah, but games suck anyway. Im gonna be a web-designer instead!

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've never owned a Mac, but I can see how it would appeal to someone who mostly games on consoles. If I only needed a machine for internet/work, the Mac has a good reputation for reliability (or at least, it did about a decade ago which was the last time I seriously looked at buying one). :)

And yes, please keep the discussion civil. It's a perfectly valid topic.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Ah, another cool topic *g*

I prefer PCs, though macs certainly are not as bad as people seem to think they are. I program on them frequently which works well, and some look stylish. It's a matter of how much money you're willing to invest, and for what purpose you need the computer. As I like to change hard- and software parts every now and then, as well as gaming, there's not much choice but a PC (with XP and Ubuntu).

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Macs suck. The only good platform is the PC with Windows XP.

There's a modicum of merit in that post. XP is definitely the best revision of Windows, and Vista sucks monkey balls - and some version of Windows is necessary for games, so XP is fine for that. But for any sort of advanced applications or programming I'd choose a Unix based system like Mac or Linux (go Ubuntu!). Thank god for dual boot.

Hell if games didn't exist, I think Windows would be completely redundant.

well, the government is probably the single largest purchaser of windows/microsoft-based software. they like to say they're "in with linux" but in reality, nearly all of their systems are running Win2k or earlier. they might be starting to upgrade to XP by now, perhaps on newer systems as they buy them. it's simply so much easier, and cheaper (if you count learning curve) to use the standard offered by winders. granted, linux has gotten to the point where it is fairly user friendly, but there are still some things that require a little bit of knowledge about linux. i had my linux guru in the office today helping me with an install (on a dual-boot machine) as a matter of fact... :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Macs suck. The only good platform is the PC with Windows XP.

Windows Vistaa, dear. Windows Vista.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

burn in hell XP and its 32-bit inferiority

Why're you so hyped on 64-bit Vista, anyway? I've got it installed - in a dual boot config with good ol' XP SP2 - and yeah, it's a pretty damn nifty-looking OS, but I can't see it bringing you all that much benefit unless you really need that 4 gigs of RAM for multimedia work or whatever.

burn in hell XP and its 32-bit inferiority

Vista is garbage. I'll stick with WinXP any day. If people want to be free BETA testers for Vista keep buying computers with it installed. When Microsoft decides to get their act together and get Vista right, I may give it a chance.

Back on topic, I prefer PCs. My only encounter with a Mac was way back in high school. I recall they used it for their drafting and graphics classes, which is something Macs are good at.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Lucian, XP was great but Vista is better. Vista is very stable on my system and more than gets the job done.

well, the government is probably the single largest purchaser of windows/microsoft-based software. they like to say they're "in with linux" but in reality, nearly all of their systems are running Win2k or earlier. they might be starting to upgrade to XP by now, perhaps on newer systems as they buy them. it's simply so much easier, and cheaper (if you count learning curve) to use the standard offered by winders. granted, linux has gotten to the point where it is fairly user friendly, but there are still some things that require a little bit of knowledge about linux. i had my linux guru in the office today helping me with an install (on a dual-boot machine) as a matter of fact... :)

My government-issued laptop runs XP. I think we'll be getting newer ones in another year or so, but I don't know what OS they're planning on going with.

As for Macs, I haven't used one extensively since high school. As I understand, they're dominant in a few industries, like publishing and advertising. But outside those areas, the premium they charge on their hardware makes them tough to recommend.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=48568

Says it all for me. BUt I'm not happy with the recent Apple world domination plans either. Can you say 'i-phone'? I knew you could.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Geez, everybody who is trashing Vista seems to be stuck in 9 months ago. Get with the times. XP wasn't all that stable in the first year, either. You can expect a a year of growing pains from any OS.

I have a Macbook that I got from work. It's not bad, but it's limited by the available software. PC's tend to require a bit of know-how in order to be effective, whereas Macs are built to be easy. I think there is plenty of room in the world for both.

What would I want with that bug infested platform? You might as well use Windows 95.

What bugs? I have yet found or experienced any major bugs, or even minor ones, in Vista. It is, so far, the best Window OS I have used and I have pretty much used them all.

To Vista proponents:

Justify to me why I, an average Windows user, should change from XP to Vista. Consider that XP is stable and essentially bug-free, while Vista is simply growing stable and bugfree. Further consider that Vista offers no new innovations in word processing, gaming or multimedia compared to XP. And don't go quoting "dual cores" and "64-bit" like you actually know what they mean or could actually name a way they've made your life as an average user easier.

Vista may not be bad as such. What it is is redundant, bloated and for all intents and purposes, unnecessary.