Your favorite game

The Owner

It changes a lot...

The best I've ever played are the Halo series, Ace Combat 6 and KotOR 1... oh and Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 is the best GBA game ever created.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Lords of Midnight"

Best game ever! :-

"Elite" would be a close second.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Gamerhelp has produced a list of 18 genre-defining 'pinnacle' games. I'm not sure that defining a genre and being the highest achievement in that genre are quite the same thing.

As a case in point, the best Adventure is Quest for Glory I. Now, I love the Quest for Glory series (I named it my favourite in this very thread), but how did it define the adventure genre when it's an adventure-RPG hybrid, and perhaps the only true adventure-RPG hybrid? :)

I also notice that Fallout 3 is declared a 'worthy heir' to Fallout, impressive since it hasn't even been finished yet. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Honorable Mention: Planescape: Torment; Oblivion

Oblivion? Right, all credibility right out the window then.

And as Steve points out, considering how little is known about FO3, calling it a worthy heir is obviously a prediction of nostradamus-like magnitude. WHich is to say, total BS. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

And as Steve points out, considering how little is known about FO3, calling it a worthy heir is obviously a prediction of nostradamus-like magnitude. WHich is to say, total BS. :)

I think that by "worthy heir", they meant games that haven't been released, but that they feel will keep that game's particular genre alive.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think that by "worthy heir", they meant games that haven't been released, but that they feel will keep that game's particular genre alive.

Obiously the Codex and NMA were not consulted when this list was put together then.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Of course.

Anyway, I just read through the whole article, and I have to say that I think it's mostly an uninformed take on the nature of game genres. Just pointless.

Heja Sverige!!

Of course.

Anyway, I just read through the whole article, and I have to say that I think it's mostly an uninformed take on the nature of game genres. Just pointless.

I thought the choices for turn base strat games were pretty decent, althought I think personally I would put Civ-type games in a different category from games liek XCOM and Jag 2.

Also, even though I am not a terribly enthusiiastic fan of Half Life (Hi Alan!), I do agree that it was a pretty important game for bringing major change to the FPS genre. Though of course the original System SHock had already done all that and more years earlier, but Half Life brough tthose changes to much wider audience.

I thought the choices for turn base strat games were pretty decent, althought I think personally I would put Civ-type games in a different category from games liek XCOM and Jag 2.

Also, even though I am not a terribly enthusiiastic fan of Half Life (Hi Alan!), I do agree that it was a pretty important game for bringing major change to the FPS genre. Though of course the original System SHock had already done all that and more years earlier, but Half Life brough tthose changes to much wider audience.

Actually, in my opinion, as far as Civ games go the defining game is the original because, well, duh!

Another problem I had with the list was calling RE2 a survival horror game, as I've always felt that RE games, despite all their qualities, were never really horror games in the same way that Silent Hill or SS2 were.

Also, a few sentences really struck me as dumb:

"Half-Life is, and still remains, the shining example of what can be done with the FPS genre not only in terms of narrative storytelling but in terms of overall design."

"Yes, we know hardcore PC RPG nuts will no doubt lament the choice of Fallout over other notable titles like Oblivion"

Gah!

Heja Sverige!!

"Yes, we know hardcore PC RPG nuts will no doubt lament the choice of Fallout over other notable titles like Oblivion"

That's almost eternally quotable.

Gamerhelp has produced a list of 18 genre-defining 'pinnacle' games. I'm not sure that defining a genre and being the highest achievement in that genre are quite the same thing.

As a case in point, the best Adventure is Quest for Glory I. Now, I love the Quest for Glory series (I named it my favourite in this very thread), but how did it define the adventure genre when it's an adventure-RPG hybrid, and perhaps the only true adventure-RPG hybrid? :huh:

I also notice that Fallout 3 is declared a 'worthy heir' to Fallout, impressive since it hasn't even been finished yet. :p

They sound like a bunch of idiots saying that. The game is not out and by all of the information that has come out, its nothing like the old games but in name only.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Games that significantly influenced me and which I will always adore:

Jazz Jackrabbit (1 and 2 are equally great)

Fallout 1 (I first played this in year 6 so it was a very unique experience)

Half-Life 1 (Made me start to enjoy shooters... plus the science in the game was weefun)

Deus Ex 1 (I used to go around quoting the game... hell I still do... it also inspired my interest in chemistry)

Planescape: Torment (Sent me on a philosophical rampage at one point)

KoTOR1 (Got me interested enough in Star Wars to watch the movies... the old 3 were good, the new 3 were ****)

Age of Empires 1 & 2 (Seriously the best RTS's ever)

Games which I adore but wouldn't say influenced me overly much me:

Baldur's Gate 1

Icewind Dale 1

Fallout 2

System Shock 2

Vampire: Bloodlines

HL1: Opposing Force

Jedi Knight 2

Edited by Krezack

Actually, in my opinion, as far as Civ games go the defining game is the original because, well, duh!

alphaCentauri1.PNG

DUH

It's my favourite too, but not the defining one.

Heja Sverige!!

Age of Empires 1 & 2 (Seriously the best RTS's ever)

And here I was, thinking you had good taste

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

- Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 (Jedi Academy sucks)

- KotOR (first one)

- Microprose Soccer

- Sensible World of Soccer (SWOS)

- Fallout Series

- Icewind Dale

- Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

- Freedom Force series

- NOLF

- AVP2

- Tron 2.0

centinexx.png

KOTOR being my fav game at the moment and since it came out, here is my list.

- KOTOR I

- Halo 1 & 2

- Morrowind & Oblivion

- Unreal Tournament (all of them apart from Unreal III)

- C&C (all of them apart from Generals)

- Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonshrad

- Dungeon siege I & II

- America's Army

- Praetorians

- Summoner I