Mask of the Betrayer III

Walsingham

Original thread:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...5&start=465

I just want o say I'm only in Act II, but god DAMN it's a fine game. Absolutely fantastic.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Beat it a few days ago and loved it. I especially loved (don't read until well in Act III)

when you get to confront/destroy the dead god Myrkul. Awesome music, amazing background and one of the coolest evil voices I've ever heard.

Overall the game had a great story, characters and music. I'd have to say my two main disapointments are the handling of what happened to your companions from the first game and the how the spirit eater function was handled. Its not that I didn't like the function, it added urgency to the situation, but I absolutly see no reason Satiate gives you lawful points. It made playing a Bard/Shadow Thief of Amn/Invisible Blade a pain. I wasn't using satiate to follow some rule of the land... I was using it to prevent myself from having to devour a spirit and boost my craving level. :lol: Heh, discussion on the Spirit Eater alignment changes have probably been discussed to death, but like I said I just recently beat the game and have ignored discussions on it till now.

I also really wish some of the new features of MotB could be retrofitted to NwN 2 OC, like being able to see how much NPC's like/dislike you under their portrait, have text pop up telling you during face to face conversations if their feelings about you changed etc. I also loved how NPCs in MotB each had their own specific level/experience and the companions didn't ALL level up at the exact same time you did.

I agree with GDM that it was very hard to roleplay a tough self-serving stance without falling into either far too godo or far too evil. I justified this to myself by the

rather intriguing soul aspects of the ailment *moustache*

I found two moments of perfect hilarity.

1) The epic spell 'mass fowl' came in at the absolute last minute in one of the final fights which I was getting minced in. I really just coudln't nail the sucker, until I remembered I still had the epic spells left. I used all the others then in a final desperation I drew on mass fowl. In a sudden flash BOOM the guy is a chicken. I literally just ran around for a bit being chased by deadly chicken, enjoying it. I'd have let him go if it had been an option.

2) My character's name is Sorrow. I fashioned an altered mask, and in honour of the game called it the Mask of Sorrow. It took me about a minute before I realised the inadvertant pun.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on creating a Favored Soul for the MotB campaign. Which is the best weapon in the game so that I may pick the most appropriate deity?

Thanks for your answers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I plan on creating a Favored Soul for the MotB campaign. Which is the best weapon in the game so that I may pick the most appropriate deity?

Thanks for your answers.

The

COMPLETED Sword of Gith - its even more freakin' awesome than it was in OC when it still had a bunch of shards AWOL

. Uber stats and special abilities FTW!1

manthing2.jpg

I really, really dont like this engine. I got MotB for Christmas and I just flew home and installed it on my brand spankin awesome HP laptop (Intel C2D 2gHz, 2gb ram, 8600gt) and it stutters when I play on medium... medium for pete's sake!

The only way the game gets decent FPS is if i play it in 800x600 :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I really, really dont like this engine. I got MotB for Christmas and I just flew home and installed it on my brand spankin awesome HP laptop (Intel C2D 2gHz, 2gb ram, 8600gt) and it stutters when I play on medium... medium for pete's sake!

The only way the game gets decent FPS is if i play it in 800x600 :lol:

*prods Kaft good naturedly in the groin with a fence post*

I don't think it can have been that bad. Before my card expired (7900GT) I was zipping around with few probs.

-Elwood Blues

Im going to have to turn off some graphics features, any tips on performance hogs that doesnt add much estheticly?

The only way I can get my FPS to approach playable (40-60) is to completely turn off all shadows and normal mapped terrain. And this with a computer that can run Gears of War on medium without a hitch. gaaah...

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The only way the game gets decent FPS is if i play it in 800x600 :(

I know exactly what you mean. It was an even more depressing realization for me because looking at the screenshots before NwN 2's release I was thinking, "Awesome! The graphics look decent, but not amazing, which means Ill be able to run it on high settings with little trouble!". Overstatement... er thinking... of the year. :lol:

Obsidian has become MUCH better at creating better looking areas that perform better with MotB though. The areas look better, run better and are just as large if not larger than NwN 2 OC areas.

I wish we could stick with a single engine for long periods without completely reworking it, like we did with IE, though its no longer feasible now. The way IWD2 abused and squeezed the engine was delicious, and Electron is surely capable of whole new degrees of optimisation and efficiency.

That said, I'm so used to playing games at Very Low and 7fps anyway. I defy Gamer Savings Time. :huh: I've already finished both OC and MOTB twice though, so won't be going back for at least half a year, or until Westgate comes out.

Im going to have to turn off some graphics features, any tips on performance hogs that doesnt add much estheticly?

The only way I can get my FPS to approach playable (40-60) is to completely turn off all shadows and normal mapped terrain. And this with a computer that can run Gears of War on medium without a hitch. gaaah...

Maybe it doesn't like your computer or laptops in general?

i have much worse computer and MotB run just fine :)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Maybe it doesn't like your computer or laptops in general?

i have much worse computer and MotB run just fine :thumbsup:

It runs excellently on my laptop in 1024x768, water effects, far distance clipping, highres textures, 2xaa and just about all other bells&whistles (only simple shadows though). Not quite 40fps, but good enough.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My native resolution is 1440x900 and it looks really blurry if I try a res that low

That resolution is pretty painful.

Try turning off the mystical water and removing the shadows completely. Also, reduce drawing distance by at least 50%. If you get it to run above 20fps at all times, it should be good enough for nonhitchy performance. MotB isn't GoW.

Edit:Oh, and check this out, and don't forget to turn off VSync.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I noticed that TAB no longer works to see what objects are interactive, is this function gone or has it been reassigned to another key? I cant seem to find it in the key mapping options

I noticed that TAB no longer works to see what objects are interactive, is this function gone or has it been reassigned to another key? I cant seem to find it in the key mapping options

It's not gone and it hasn't been reassigned. It is Z, as it's always been. TAB is a different game.

I've had the same problem a few times.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I got so sick of NWN2 the last time so I deleted all my modstuff, so now I have to do some new custom hair, armor etc. because the ones that come with the game doesnt please my exquisite esthetical senses.

I got so sick of NWN2 the last time so I deleted all my modstuff, so now I have to do some new custom hair, armor etc. because the ones that come with the game doesnt please my exquisite esthetical senses.

Tell it how it is, Brother K!

What does a guy have to do around here to get some decent dwarven beards styles?

Edit: Also, has anyone noticed that like have the deities from the OC have been changed. So no Eilistraee, Aerdrie Faenya, etc, etc. Just compare the current MotB deities with teh original list and see for your self: http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights2/deities.php

I'm not happy about this (nor my lack of Dwarven bearding for that matter). And don't get me started on "so where did the cool Ammon Jerro FMV intro go?"

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

I know Elistrae is still there, make sure you're not trying to pick a deity that is restricted by class, alignment, or race.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My character is a divine champion of "no deity", which is kind of fun. Kind of like a crusading agnostic. Ive always thought religion to be quite [insert negative adjective of choice] so Ive never given the gods any thought in nwn.

My mod attempts turned out to be horrendously complicated, Brother Jags. 6-8hours of work just to get a single hair model into the game.

[Edited by SteveThaiBinh to remove unacceptable language]

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

You might want to consider getting in on Dwarven beard premium mod making business Brother K. There's a substantial market out there just waiting to be tapped. They're simply watering at the mouth at the prospect of custom mutton-chops, braided handles, and for the more adventurous ones out there, Clangeddin's Bushranger style. Theres also a market for, uhh, "female beards" if you catch my drift.

This is all pure speculation based merely upon what I've been told. :aiee:

manthing2.jpg

Female beards, ey? I might be too busy with my Gears of War "fanart", but Ill look into it, Brother Jags.

http://krotma.com/img/apa3bloom.png <-- teh GoW

The only way the game gets decent FPS is if i play it in 800x600 :bat:

The old NWN2 badger engine.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me