Um... Crysis.

Sand

I haven't really followed this game too closely. I have a Radeon X1900 XTX and it ran Bioshock silky smooth. I still use Windows XP though, so I won't have DX10 (that I know of anyways).

Should I wait until I move on to Vista before getting this game?

Even though I do have Vista I am using a DX9 card. Radeon 1900 GT to be percise, and its playing very smoothly on medium to low settings.

In case any one was wondering my Windows Index is...

Processor: 4.2

Memory: 5.4

Graphics: 5.9

Gaming Graphics: 5.7

Hard Disk: 5.5

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

@Bok: Post 'em biatch!!!!!

I can't really see what a bunch of hacked shaders would really improve...

It's not hacked shaders really, it's an autoexec file that lets me customize my settings to a very high degree. So i remove gay stuff(like motionblur) and push up the sweet stuff like the semitransparent-foliage shader.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There are many things I like about this game, but I'm afraid my general feeling is "frustrating". It's no wonder the Yanks need nanosuits in the future, considering a normal korean can take several bullets to the head and still be fit for a fight.

The destructable enviroment is an obvious plus, especially buildings. I also like to carry a coffee pot in one hand and a rifle in the other. It's much more fun bashing poeple with a coffee pot than the stock of your gun ;P

I was sort of expecting more Bok, it simply looks like a glorified Half Life 2 to me...

If someone from Crytek heard you saying that, they would kill you.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Naw this game is 5 years ahead of HL2

Technically yes, it is, but I can only see a slight improvement when I compare two screenshots side-by-side - although that might change if I viewed the two games... :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There's a huge difference, not the least of which is the polycount in the enviroments. Where half-life has matte images in layers around the level, Crysis actually has terrain. With trees and stuff.

But there's a slight difference in application when it comes to Crytek and Valve's engines, I think... although Crysis is more linear than Far Cry.

Anyway, you'd definately see the difference if you play the game. Especially if you're able to run it on High and up. Of course, both or aiming for realistic or semi-realistic design, so the difference will mostly be technical (apart from the design of sci-fi elements).

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I find annoying so far is that the North Korean soldiers all appear to have bionic vision, but I guess its only fair since I can turn invisible.

The AI seems a little iffy. More so than in Far Cry. Sometimes it seems to be lost as to how to react. I do miss the mercs from Far Cry though, they were a lot more entertaining.

Needless to say it looks great as well. I'm playing in 1024*768 with no AA and have everythign set to high except shadows which I have on medium. It drops a few frames from time to time, but mostly it runs sweet. Better than Oblivion does, and it looks better.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Technically yes, it is, but I can only see a slight improvement when I compare two screenshots side-by-side - although that might change if I viewed the two games... :brows:

Yup, they sure look the same to me.

Face it, HL2 is a two year old game, while Crysis was made with computers that arn't even available on the home market yet in mind. Saying that the two games can compare graphically on their highest settings is pretty dumb.

post-4636-1197134659_thumb.jpg

post-4636-1197134691_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Is Half Life 2 still worth playing at this point? It was one of those games I bought but never got around to playing. I stil having it sitting unopened on my shelf.

On a happier note, I just fell through a mountain in Crysis. At first I thought that I had gone too the near the edge and fallen off the mountain, but no, it was through the mountain. Now I am inside it. There's a lot of water down here. Its like Tomb Raider.

*reloads*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I always found Half Life series extremely over-rated. I played both the first and the second game but didn't manage to finish neither of them because of the boredem. I have been playing SW: Republic Commando for 3 or 4 days now and it's great. Actually, I've added it to my all time fave. FPS games list:

1- No One Lives Forever

2- Tron 2.0

3- AVP2

4- Republic Commando

centinexx.png

Is Half Life 2 still worth playing at this point? It was one of those games I bought but never got around to playing. I stil having it sitting unopened on my shelf.

On a happier note, I just fell through a mountain in Crysis. At first I thought that I had gone too the near the edge and fallen off the mountain, but no, it was through the mountain. Now I am inside it. There's a lot of water down here. Its like Tomb Raider.

*reloads*

If you haven't played it, then yes you should. Just be aware that you're not going to be as amazed as people like me were, three years ago, since Crysis has dated the game considerably

I always found Half Life series extremely over-rated. I played both the first and the second game but didn't manage to finish neither of them because of the boredem.

I agree, although I have played every game in the series and the expansions. Episode one almost bored me so much that I quit. Hl2 is a very average shooter with fun story elements while Crysis is a top-notch shooter with average story

p.s

and no, I dont like the ***ing gravity gun. It's a shooter and in ushc a game I want to shoot stuff, not faff around like ponce and toss my enemies to death with random objects. You can toss stuff in Crysis too, but they're smart enough not to base the whole ****ing game on it.

Well, I am enjoying Crysis quite a bit. Not an all time classic but it certainly seems to achieve what it sets out to do. I'm playing on hard and it is challenging without being overwhelming. The game certainly thows a lot of enemies at you. I don't know now many soldiers I killed in the first big village where you rescue the hostage, but it must have been more than 100. There appeared to be some respawning going on until the hostage was secured. If I had known that I would have gone right for the hostage rather than trying to clean out the opposition, which I eventually decided what to do.

I've been conserving the ammo for the SCAR since it seems like it's going to be pretty rare. Do you ever get more SCAR ammo in the game? Beyond what you start with? And your team? (I vultured some of the dead squadmates scar ammo!) Or is it best just to use ithe weapon up then dump it so you can use that weapon slot for somethign else?

Well, I've stopped playing at the alien levels. The game has lost a lot of its fun quotient for me, becoming very linear and repetitve. (The whole "Defend Prophet" section did me in.)

the first 2/3's of the game were quite stellar though.

Check out the awesome pic on this thread. THis is from the village where I ended up killing a lot fo soldiers, but not THIS many, tfg. :)

http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.p...ic,16185.0.html

Why with the Aliens!?

It's not the aliens themselves, per se. Rather the game seems to undergo a rather drastic gameplay change, moving from a relatively open freelance tacitcs FPS game to a pretty linear, do-this do-that do this, mess it up and the game ends thing. COmbine that with a nasty bug with reloading quicksaves that produces unkillable enemies and the whole affair became rather tedious.

They did the same supernatural **** in Farcry.

Yeah, I didn't like it there either all that much. The trigens were much less interesting adversaries than the mercs. But the gameplay didn't change nearly as drastically, and Farcry wasn't nearly so good as Crysis (imo) so the decline is enjoyment was not so noticeable there.

Edited by CrashGirl