Mass Effect Reviews

Volourn

"'Action RPG' is a near oxymoron IMO. its a poor attempt on the publishers part to put a RPG cover over a shooter to try to coax CRPG fans into buying it. If you wish to fall into that PR/sales pitch trap by all means, I wont nor do I subscribe to it."

Actually, ME is opposite. It's a (Action) RPG which has shooter elements that BIO pushed in order to get Shooter fans to buy it. In fact, most combat issues that reviewers seem to have is that it's not shootery enough. Stats/skill influence combat too much, it's too 'slow', to get the best out of your and your compnaion's abilities you have to pause a lot.

And, many games fit into the Action RPG section as Sand mentions. Action RPG = mix of action and rpg. That describes ME perfectly.

" really my concern unless it comes to the PC anyways. I just wanted to point out the buzz/spin on it seems > then the actual product from what (little) I read. Could be wrong but theres nothing 'wrong' with that. thats the publishers job to make their game seem like the best thing since sliced bread. I was merely pointing that out."

You don't make sense. The reviews are mainly praising the game yet you say it's not living to the hype. The only really critical review of the game was from the same guy who bashed NWN2 because it was 'too D&D'. L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That was such a really bad review on NWN2. Gee, a DnD game that is actually a DnD game! Who would have thunk it?

That reviewer has to be really thick or missing some brain cells.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Saying deus ex or bloodlines is a 'action rpg' is a insult to both titles. I consider them CRPGs. If you define a 'CRPG' as turned based only or/and little to no combat (as you seem to be defining 'action') then ALL 'CRPGs' are really 'action rpgs' under your view.

'action RPG' is one that has some RPG elements but primarily not a CRPG but a shooter or combat focused game that a players actions have little effect as its a near total linear game. Such as dungeon siege or diablo like games.

I am perplex by how 'action rpg' is being defined here.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

By your defintion then, ME is a 'full fledge RPG' then because it's right where BL. In fact, BL combat is less stat heavy than ME seems to be.

To me an Action RPG is a game that has real time combat (no 6 second rounds ala IE or Aurora) where player ability *and* character ability is important. It also has story, role-playing, characters, and C&C that you'd fine in any RPG. G3, BL, JE, and ME all fit this category. An action game to me is something that BGDA or the newer BT.

P.S. being called a Action RPG. a shooter, a RPG, or a sports title shouldn't be an insult anyways. It's a classification. It's only an insult if you hate that type of game.

Edited by Volourn

> You don't make sense. The reviews are mainly praising the game yet you say it's not living to the hype.

I was implying but I'll come right out and say it, many 'reviewers' are not critical and buy into the hype and PR like some teen aged fanboi consumer. Just the way the business is now a days. When was the last time a major site gave a big studio game title a below average score or/and scathing review? ALL the latest shooters past 4 months have been given very high marks. HL2 orange box, CoD4, that underwater FPS, crysis, hellgate, etc... and I'll save you the suspense for the upcoming UT3 review 'best game evaaa!!!!!1111' just like all the previous titles I mentioned.... *smirk*

Over the yrs I recall reading several articles being critical of sites like gamespy and there, on average, very high scores across the board to big name/publishers. Sadly its the nature of the beast.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Actually, Hellgate has not been getting universal praise... In fact, at Gamerankings it is rated, on average, 71.5. ...

Do, I now have to check the others out to make sure you aren't taking stuff out of your hat. btw, The only gam,e of those you mentioned that I've played is the 'underwater FPS thing' (aka Bioshock).

It's an okay game to me; but I'm not much of a shooter fan myself.

Edited by Volourn

I was off on the hellgate one, mixed reviews, but still I think my point is well made none the less.

However getting back on topic what does ME do to set it apart from the many of other FPS with RPG elements that I mentioned above that have gotten 'best eva!!!11' reviews? I see with just the handful of people posting here mixed opinions about the story, gameplay and FX engine. If such a small sampling cant even come to terms with it what does that say?

I am sure it has its pros and cons like most of other games of the type but it is a 80%+ or ground breaking game/must buy the hype machine is trying to make it sound like? Seems thats easily debatable.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

"However getting back on topic what does ME do to set it apart from the many of other FPS with RPG elements that I mentioned above that have gotten 'best eva!!!11' reviews? I see with just the handful of people posting here mixed opinions about the story, gameplay and FX engine. If such a small sampling cant even come to terms with it what does that say?"

Because, it's more of a RPG with shooter/action elements exactly as BIO described. It has more in common with games like BG, FO, KOTOR2, and BL.

ME has as much dialogue as any other RPG (in fact, i've read it has over a million words which definitely surpasses most RPGs), it has C&C like any RPg should have (and, just like any RPG I have ever played some dialogue choices are just glitter and are fake), it has mutliple so0lutions to quests as well as multiple ways to get, it has dialogue skills, it has non combat skills as well, it has a focused story with oppurtunity for plenty of side quests (from all accounts, ME's side quests/missions while not as deep as its main story have as much hours to be played if not more). What do role-playing games really have that ME doens't have? ie. What makes BL a full fledge RPG in your eyes yet ME 'just a shooter with RPG elements'?

As for mixed opinions. Big deal. that's what the internt is all about. Mixed opinion.

Some people love FO. Some hate it. Some love PST and consider it God of Gaming. Same with BG2, NWN2, and a host of other games.

Example: I like BL a lot; but I hate its combat. However, there are others who absolutely LOVE BL combat. Go figure. *shrug* Conversely, some people dislike BL's story and writing yet I love those. Ah well.

NEWSFLASH: Don't listen to hype. Hype is unimportant. Hype doesn't tell you anything. Statements like 'best game ever', 'it's evolutionary', or even 'game sucks worse than x game' or 'this is just an Oblivion wananbe' means absolutely nothing.

The meat is more important.

Its not an insult. They are action CRPGs because they are indeed action oriented when it comes to combat, relying on as much on player skill as on character skill to get the job done as well as being real time. Traditional CRPGs the skill in combat, determining if you hit or miss, damage done, and the like is solely based on character skill and be turn base in some form. NWN2 is in that catagory. You an have a story intensive action CRPG such as Bloodlines just as well have a story intensive Traditional CRPG.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Also, just because you have a lot of shooting does not make a game a shooter.

I'm having trouble making a character with a good looking face. I can't get into the game if my character doesn't have a good looking face.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

So I just ran across the lines

You're right.

I'll stop him.

Not if I can help it!

Good times on the Obsidian Forums.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

You know that collar-grab scene in the trailers? Where you collar-grab Garrus? That doesn't exist. Neither does the bar scene where you pull out a gun. Those kinds of things don't happen in Mass Effect.

Those kinds of things don't happen in Mass Effect.

Those kinds of things don't happen in Mass Effect

NOOOOOOOO

Also, Best review so far IMO. Or maybe I should say honest.

edit: No zomgbestgameevecanwegetsmoneynow or "baww consoles sucks so ME is suckage". Maybe disappointment to (?) hype has had some effect, but not much. By far most honest review so far. And fits in picture I've got from game. Solid title, but nothing special. And definetly no revolution of RPG's.

'Sides, it looks like game isn't extreme. Bleh.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Wow. That review pretty much killed my desire for the game.

I like that review as it's fair, and it's a perosnal opinion. But, he loves KOTOR and thinks it is awesome. Make me suspicious that he just doens't want BIO's new space rpg to be better than SW. HA!

If ME is worse than KOTOR, it's not worth an 8. KOTOR only deserves around an 8.

P.S. Ther eis no way the combat is worse than KOTOR.

No worse combat than KOTOR? Its the same bloodly combat found in NWN1 and NWN2 practically. :(

What gets me is that we have this huge galaxy to explore and only one freaking city. Hell, even NWN2 had more than that and its all on one section of a coastline.

Edited by Sand

Kotor's combat was way too easy, but it was entertaining enough to keep me interested in game. Propably because of awesome animations (KII has best attack animations in CRPG IMO :( ). Also, "combat is teh suckage" definetly IS NOT main point of criticism.

What was worst for me was part about party interaction.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"What gets me is that we have this huge galaxy to explore and only one freaking city."

One city; but lots of towns/villages/other civilized places. How many actual cities does NWN have? Or either BG game have? Or KOTOR?

And, no, KOTOR's combat is not like Aurora (or IE combat). It's way too simplified. Heck, it's the same basic system as NWN 9d20); but with far less options. I agree with xard, though, that KOTOR's combat animations were fun to watch and made the combat at least fun to watch.

You are refering to games that are at least 4 to 7 years old. Get with the times. Take NWN2. It has Neverwinter, West Harbor, Port Llast, Highcliff, and Crossroads Keep was starting to be a town in of itself by the end of it. Oblivion has several cities and towns to explore.

Mass Effect is suppose to be a game which we are exploring a GALAXY andnot stuck in a single psuedo-medieval world. There should be quite a number of large cities to explore. Hell, do we even get a chance to go back to and visit Earth?

"It has Neverwinter, West Harbor, Port Llast, Highcliff, and Crossroads Keep"

Only city here is Neverwinter. The rest are towns, and villages.

And, while having tons of towns/cities would be cool; it's just likely not to happen unless BIo were to cut out worlds (which they likely should have).

btw, Despite this, ME has millions of words (dialogue and otherwise) as well a splenty of shops, and more than likely as many npcs as most other CRPGs of its length.

Again, ME has more than one civilized place.

BTW, You do explore the galaxy in ME. probably too much 'cause BIo seemingly added a lot of fluff to pad the number of worlds. HA!

P.S. No earth visit; but a visit to our solar system, and a drop off on our moon.

P.S..S games with lots of cities/towns tend to be lttered with npcs that add nothing to the game, anyways.

P.S.S. My ideal would plenty of towns and crap with deep detailed npcs. I'm still wishing myself luck on that one. l0l

Edited by Volourn

I want to visit multiple towns and cities on one wrold then hop to another. Maybe be able to explore part of a continent in an area of Oblivion, but with detailed characters then hop to another plaent to do the same.