new problem

hi i just joined but im haveing a problem with kotor 1 AND kotor 2 runing on a dell xps 410

all of the hardwere is beond the recomeded so thats not the issue but whats hapaning is the insalation goes just fine and the luncher screen comes up but when i click play th ebon hawk comes up then i get a "this program has preformed an illegal operation and need to close" thats not the worst of it ether the disk wont eject it slows down and stops and isent doing any thing but it just wont eject.

i know its hard to dignose a problem without any tecnical info but all help is welcome

what i know is

1gb of ram

512 mb nivada 7200 vidio card

about 4gh dule core proceser

yes i know i suck at spelling

o and when i instal the updates from the game kotor 1 dosent work but kotor 2 is so slow that you move the mose and a miniet later the curser moves

Edited by whitrzac

You don't suck at spelling. Your spelling is actually awesomely entertaining.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I know it isn't much help, but just a suspicion. A quick search on dual + core in this particular forum reveals quite a few threads where people have similar symptoms. They all have dual core cpu's in common.

Can't say for sure if it applies to your particular situation, or even what the fix might be though, sorry :sad:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It should be perfectly possible to tell the computer to run this one game using only one of your two cores, without it affecting any other program or in any way harming the computer. The problem is I can't remember how to do it on XP, and the computer I'm using at the moment is Vista. I hope someone else can help, or perhaps you could google it?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Try the following:

1. Launch KOTOR2.

2. Before starting a new game, or loading an old one, ALT-TAB back to Windows -or do something else to bring up the Task Manager-.

3. Bring up the Task Manager, unless you have already done so (CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination or right-click on the taskbar).

4. Click "Processes".

5. Right click Kot0R II process (swkotor2.exe), and somewhere there should be an option Set Affinity - select CPU 0 or deselect CPU 1 (Windows should now only be using one core for KOTOR2).

6. Go back to the game and see if this helped.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

First of all you are not turning off a core, you are just not letting the core use kotor2. When you use the task manager to change the Affinity (what cores that the process {game} can use} you block access of one of the cores to kotor2. Every thing else still uses both of the core's.

Edited by mkg

i know i could do it but my parents wont let me :mad::bat:

Could you get them to post why they are prohibiting you from trying the fix? If not, could you post why?

i also know that thers go tto be some other way

That is the only solution I have heard of, so I really think you should ask them why they don't want you to try it.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

IIRC KOTORS WON'T WORK unless you take one of the cores off

luncher screen

:bat:

WIN

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Could you get them to post why they are prohibiting you from trying the fix? If not, could you post why

no offenes but thats comman sence parents buy i new $2000 computer do you realy think thel let me mess around with it?

and i just tryed them on an older dell with a normal pentium 4 and they still dont work

I've got a core 2 duo processor, and I ran into this problem with kotor 2 as well. funny thing about it was, it didn't happen right away, but only after i'd played almost all the way through peragus, after having exited and restarted the game several times. anyway, i didn't have to turn off one of the cores to fix it. all i had to do was uninstall and re-install the game, and it's worked fine ever since, including 2 complete playthroughs and perhaps 1/3 of another. could try just doing that.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Could you get them to post why they are prohibiting you from trying the fix? If not, could you post why

no offenes but thats comman sence parents buy i new $2000 computer do you realy think thel let me mess around with it?

and i just tryed them on an older dell with a normal pentium 4 and they still dont work

I understand your hesitation with regards to the switching off of a core, but what you would be doing is not opening up your brand new computer with a srewdriver, you are simply modifying available options; in any case, it only affects that one application, not everything else too. I mean if you are willing to test people's homebrew software to sort this problem out, I think you're better off tinkering with the cores. I highly doubt your parents would understand it or for the matter figure it out (unless they are the sort of people who monitor everything you do on your computer, 24.7) Just a thought.

unless they are the sort of people who monitor everything you do on your computer, 24.7)

do you know my parents?? im not evan alowed to post on fourms enless there waching or the teachers arent :-

Well, as I said before, you should get them to post on this topic and explain why they do not want you to try the only suggested solution.

-Hurlshot