Civ 4 BTS Succession Game

Enoch

I'm not trying to veto the idea, but Free Religion? You goddamn hippies. Give us Theocracy, and an all-conquering army.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Steve's next. After that, I guess Enoch can go again.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I won't have the time to play until late afternoon, but once I can, if no one has taken dibs until then, I will. Remember, financial means cottage spam!

Edit: I created a new image account at http://www.imageshack.us/ for the bigger image size.

username: mca01a password: feargus

Instructions for Steve.

Heja Sverige!!

Sorry, I couldn't get it to accept the username and password, so I gave up. It's just generally uploaded instead. I hope everyone can still see it.

First of all, I'd just like to say, "War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing!". I'm tempted to declare peace immediately on principle, but I shall defer somewhat to the hive mind's plan - this time!

182 (1220AD) - We've entered the Renaissance era, and I see no reason not to continue with Liberalism as the next technology. The bombardment of Opis is underway. War weariness is becoming a bit of a problem in some cities - I think I want to wrap up this war by the end of my go.

184 (1240AD) - We're really getting screwed by Zara Yaqob - he now demands three resources (gold, clams and gems) in exchange for his silk. With an unhappy war-weary population, I felt I had to agree. We don't have any more resources to give him next time he ups the price - aside from horses, which would probably be a mistake. Perhaps we could make a move towards connecting the fur up in the far north-east?

185 (1250AD) - Scumbag Zara Yaqob cancelled his deal selling us fish - he wouldn't accept any trade without strategic resources, and I wasn't prepared to make that deal. So we are without fish for the moment.

186 (1260AD) - The Babylonian city of Opis is destroyed with few losses, and a settler on the way to found NotOpis to the east. I've switched a few cities to non-military production as they've completed military units. Peragus is going for the University of Sankore.

189 (1290AD) - Discovered Liberalism and chose Nationalism as the free tech, just because it was the most valuable one available. I'm research Divine Right now, in case we want to have our own national religion later. I've also made peace with Hammurabi in exchange for Music and Compass.

192 (1320AD) - Islam has been founded somewhere else. No religion for us! :sad:

193 (1330AD) - Zara Yaqob has declared war on Elizabeth :o . I'm going to train an explorer to head over west and see what's going on.

194 (1340AD) - Elizabeth has upped her price for sheep - she appears not to have iron, copper or horses, which suggests her war with Zara Yaqob could be rather brief. It may be too late to help her at all, but I've agreed a deal giving her horses and sent some workers to connect our extra iron resource so we have the option to give her that in the future.

195 (1350AD) - I have founded the city of Hereor1W (sorry, but the name just kind of grew on me - feel free to rename it if you think it's just too weird) in order to get those spices connected.

196 (1360AD) - Peragus has produced a Great Scientist, who's gone to found an academy in Irvine. Less good, someone has beaten us to the University of Sankore. I hate when that happens.

199 (1390AD) - Peace between Zara Yaqob and Elizabeth, courtesy of the Apostolic Palace. Zara Yaqob has built the Taj Mahal and is therefore having a golden age.

200 (1400AD) - The treaty with Hammurabi expires and he becomes a vassal of Wang Kon, so the war will be trickier to resume than I'd thought. Never mind.

turn200fearguscpi3.jpg

Some points to consider:

There's a Great General in Irvine, just because I didn't know what to do with him. We probably ought to do something about that.

Do we want to trade resources with Elizabeth to prevent Zara Yaqob from gobbling her up? The war between them didn't last long enough to get much idea of their real relative strengths, but there's likely to be a repeat performance soonish. At the moment, though, we're paying a hell of a lot for those sheep!

How long can we afford to leave the territory to the north and southeast of Irvine unsettled? I've been building courthouses so that when we do settle there, it won't break the bank completely, but I'm worried Hatshepsut may try sending settlers as she appears to have done in the far west.

Do we attack Hammurabi (and thus Wang Kon), switch and attack Hatshepsut instead, or go for a period of peace and building our strength? We've got gunpowder now, so I'd prefer to churn out a few musketmen and head towards rifling in our research.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Interesting. I hate it when people I'm in the process of conquering become someone else's vassal. Sure, it's a realistic way for them to save their skins, but it's damn irritating.

Suggestion for the Great General: Make a M*A*S*H unit. Take a Chariot with Combat I, and attach the general to it. This gives the chariot lots of experience points. Use them all for the "Medic" line of promotions. At high levels, Medic gives a significant bonus to unit healing for all units in adjacent tiles. I like to use Chariots because they have 2 moves and can keep up with fast invasion stacks, and because they're low strength and thus won't be singled out as the defender if the stack is attacked. These guys are invaluable for keeping an invasion moving without waiting to recover after hitting one city (or after taking a few shots from enemy seige engines). I've had my Medic Chariot riding along with invasion forces of Modern Armor and Mechanized Infantry.

I should be able to take a turn this sometime this weekend, but probably not today. If someone else wants to cut ahead of me, feel free.

I've heard of someone who likes to use Scouts for medics. They will NEVER be attacked until the stack is destroyed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I should be able to take a turn this sometime this weekend, but probably not today. If someone else wants to cut ahead of me, feel free.

I got a bit tied up this weekend. The earliest I'll be able to play a round is tomorrow. If someone (Pi?) has the time to take a run before then, I'd have no problem with that.

I'll be able to play out the next turn 3 or 4 hours from now.

Heja Sverige!!

Here we go. I don't really want to go to war immediately, so I'm going to concentrate on building up the empire, financially and scientifically. The settler being finished in Meatytown will be settled in the Southeast.

Turn 1: Nothing much. We are the largest empire in the world. Go ahead and rejoice.

Turn 2: Optics is done. Chose Printing press for the nice coin boost from all the cottaging we've done. Wang Kon did the Magellan dance.

Turn 4: Made the M*A*S*H with an explorer popped out of Irvine.

Turn 5: Elizabeth asked for Nationalism. Mindlessly thinking of Cate Blanchett, I caved in and gave it to her. I've also been starting universities in most cities. Oh, and National Epic was finished in Port Avellone.

Turn 6: Enoch's Fault has been founded to the southeast. Two workers are now near the city to get it up to speed.

Turn 7: Printing Press is done, which got us to +3 gold. Research on Banking has begun.

Turn 8: Wang man offered us Astronomy and 35 gold for Education. I said yes, because the stars are the future, and pretty and stuff.

astroman0000qk9.jpg

Turn 9: Wang Kon asked for Guilds. I told him to fork off, despite his awesome facial hair. Exconomics is next.

Turn 10: We finally meet the Japanese. They are worse off than Hammurabi!

tokuman0000ny1.jpg

Turn 12: A barb longbowman popped out of the fog of war.

Turn 13: Economics is done. Changed to Free Market and Bureaucracy. Replacement parts is next in line.

Turn 15: By the way, with the civics changes (why the hell were we still in barbarism??), our economy is now able to support another city. As such work has begun on a Settler in Irvine. I'm going to place it here. It gets the three resources and a bunch of water tiles for the dike. Colorful women will take our production capacity to new heights.

placing0000hu9.jpg

Turn 17: A Pytheas is born in the Land of the Urquharts. I'm going to send it on a quest for cash, because I like upgrading.

Turn 18: Now we go for Rifling. Chemistry and Steam Power should be up next, for the wonderful dikes. Because we love them. Also, I recommend we research constitution, and then change to Representation and Pacifism, to get those great people going.

Turn 20: Furry Clams is founded in the previously shown location.

Set up for the next guy: Some bastard poisoned Urquhartburg, and Babylon is a free state once more. I say we attack the bugger. Akkad and Nippur are pretty awfully placed, though.

The year 1550AD beckons.

Heja Sverige!!

Did someone say War? When's my turn?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I didn't, sorry. Good thing you noticed or I wouldn't have been able to upload it until Sunday.

Here it is:

God_Emperor_Feargus_AD_1550.zip

Heja Sverige!!

Walsingham, as a sign of loyalty to the Empire, when it comes your turn you must declare war against... Britain.

Isn't England at the other end of the continent?

-Elwood Blues

Yes. All that would happen is that she'd send half her army all the way over to attack us, then just as they arrived Zara Yaqob would declare war on her and conquer her undefended territory, thus emerging as a major rival to ourselves. Let's not do that, eh?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Yes. All that would happen is that she'd send half her army all the way over to attack us, then just as they arrived Zara Yaqob would declare war on her and conquer her undefended territory, thus emerging as a major rival to ourselves. Let's not do that, eh?

At which point his main cities would be undefended and we could take them!

I see no flaws in my stratagem.

Edit: Okay, okay. I doubt anyone will like my idea despite how perfect it is. BUT! I still don't trust Wals not to sell us out to Elizabeth. So, he still needs to prove himself! Perhaps he could try extortion and threats against England. He needn't declare war directly, but he should undermine them in some fashion to our benefit.

Edited by Tale

No, we should try to keep those two balanced with each other, while taking out Babylon and Egypt.

Heja Sverige!!

Righto. Threats and intimidation. Check.

-Elwood Blues

Enoch.

Heja Sverige!!