NMA Fallout 3 preview and Q&A session

aVENGER

:o

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Donny eventually stops talking, though, so the reference is misfired. :p

I read it, and while I'm very conscious of their inherent bias (and I say that without negative connotations), the dialogue descriptions are probably pretty on the mark, and it is what I expected - Oblivion dialogue with a bit more talking/choices and everything else a bit suped up. Doesn't make me feel so good about it, but it's not a surprise.

Still, I remain firmly in the camp of wait-and-see.

Edited by Tigranes

Better (and more objective) preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=82323

Actually, the link above leads to a real preview, not some lame attempt at disguising irrational hatred against a computer game.

One quote:

"In Leipzig last week, we were given another chance to see the very first demo of Bethesda's interpretation of this beloved universe (for details, see John Walker's preview), and it was no less impressive the second time around - gorgeous, violent and extremely faithful to the series' legacy, it was a personal game of the show by a long, long way."

Now you decide which to trust.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"In Leipzig last week, we were given another chance to see the very first demo of Bethesda's interpretation of this beloved universe (for details, see John Walker's preview), and it was no less impressive the second time around - gorgeous, violent and extremely faithful to the series' legacy, it was a personal game of the show by a long, long way."

Based on the quote alone, I definitely wouldn't trust that guy.

beloved universe - beloved by who? The gamers who loved the universe or the people who are calculating the net worth of the universe in hard currency?

faithful to the series legacy - based on what criteria?

He uses way more words than necessary to basically say, "I liked the demo" without any substance as to why other people should like (or dislike for that matter) it.

Now I may have to read the rest at the end of the link... :sad:

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Better (and more objective) preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=82323

Actually, the link above leads to a real preview, not some lame attempt at disguising irrational hatred against a computer game.

One quote:

I will trust the guys who know Fallout. NMA and DAC.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

One quote:

I will trust the guys who know Fallout. NMA and DAC.

I've always had a rule of thumb sort of thingie: never trust those with extreme viewpoints and axes to grind, regardless of the subject.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've always had a rule of thumb sort of thingie: never trust those with extreme viewpoints and axes to grind, regardless of the subject.

I think in this case you need to take both the mainstream gaming press view and NMA. I don't think there is a middle ground yet. You have the gaming press which seems to be trying it's hardest to hype the game like no tomorrow and on the other side you've got the NMA that we all know and love.

I think in this case you need to take both the mainstream gaming press view and NMA. I don't think there is a middle ground yet. You have the gaming press which seems to be trying it's hardest to hype the game like no tomorrow and on the other side you've got the NMA that we all know and love.

I don't disagree. We need look no further than Oblivion to see the gaming press hyping something as just about the the greatest thing ever when anyone who has been playing games for more than a week knows that such a claim is beyond absurd. I have no doubt we will see the same thing with Crysis and Halo 3 and Mass Effect et al.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, I think if you hated Oblivion, you will hate Fallout. It's not that I agree Fallout will be Oblivion with guns, but the fact is developers do have certain styles that they stick to. Personally, I enjoyed Oblivion enough, particularly the expansion. It proved to me that Bethesda can tell a decent story in their games, and they've always been at the top of the graphical game. Sure, it had issues, but nothing that made me hate the game.

Well, I think if you hated Oblivion, you will hate Fallout. It's not that I agree Fallout will be Oblivion with guns, but the fact is developers do have certain styles that they stick to. Personally, I enjoyed Oblivion enough, particularly the expansion. It proved to me that Bethesda can tell a decent story in their games, and they've always been at the top of the graphical game. Sure, it had issues, but nothing that made me hate the game.

I didn't hate Oblivion at all. Truth is I rather enjoyed it nad have been playing it on and off since release until my pc died the other day. But I can find a game enjoyable without pronouncing it the greatest thing since sliced bread, which the gaming media seems to be unable to do with some of the major releases.

I thought this was the best preview I had actually read about the game, because it actually described how things actually are about the game and how things worked completely clearly, without the usual PR spin certain sites put on things [OMG THE XPLODIN HEADS R SO AUWSUM!!!!]. It actually answered a lot of the things I had already thought quite clearly but it also gave me a good indication that, at the very least, this game will be better than Oblivion (mind you, I don't think terribly much of Oblivion anyway).

mkreku: I really find you hard to take seriously when you just attack the site and not bother trying to actually find flaws in the descriptions and information given in the article. You're the one coming off as a complete twit.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Thank you for your input. I happen to value your opinions very highly, especially after reading that you take NMA's "journalism" seriously.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thank you for your input. I happen to value your opinions very highly, especially after reading that you take NMA's "journalism" seriously.

Well, as seriously as any other computer game website. ;)

Yeah, because other 'journalists' are so much better who don't even seem to understand basic things about the original Fallout games? I'm sorry you want to read nothing but the brainless PR hype machine and don't exactly want to read what is a level-headed description (considering this is from NMA, I was surprised at how generally reasonable they sounded, they could have been a lot harsher) of how things actually work. I guess you much prefer reading the endless previews that talk about "awesum blood effects doods!!!" and such. Obviously that's far more useful.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

NMA's "journalism" is thought provoking and a good read. Preaching the truth to the Wasteland.

How many Che shirts do you own? Seriously.

The suggestion that NMA/DAC is more trustworthy than "mainstream gaming press" is patently ignorant. In this corner, a probably lazy, probably compromised reporter for a gaming mag. In this corner, a blogger with an axe to grind. Why trust either of them? Because the blogger "knows" Fallout? Bull****.

Edited by Pop

The mainstream press don't know ****. NMA/DAC are the only trustworthy sources when it comes to the Fallout series. Besides of the original designers of course.

Yep, the fanatical minority are always way more reliable than the gaming press. The gaming press is all wrapped up in what the majority of gamers want and such. That's ridiculous, it's amazing that they can stay in business catering to such an audience!

When it comes to games and movies, I don't look for objective reviews. I look for reviews by people with the same taste in games/movies. Regarding Fallout 3, I'd put more weight on the opinion of someone who hated Oblivion and loved Fallout rather than someone who loved Oblivion and never played Fallout.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Fortunately, our choice is not that limited.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

True, but this game is suppose to be the contiunation of Fallout and not Oblivion, thusly it should be judged as such. I wouldn't judge the worth of Oblivion based on if I liked Baldur's Gate, but if I liked Morrowind.

Edited by Sand