E3 Microsoft Conference

Llyranor

it still seems to be the new console with the most actual worthwhile games.

I agree. I'm hoping Sony pulls out a bunch of surprises today or they're going to continue to have a hard time in the US.

I want some bloody competition, dag nabbit. At least a reason to ponder getting the PS3 beyond MGS4 (which I'll get if I have to buy a PS3 at the time of MGS4's release, but I want to have something before then).

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I would be surprised if ME wasn't better than KoTOR. Then again...

Of the various current gen consoles I have to agree that the X Box 360 seems to have the most bang for the buck, even though the Wii seems to be more stable, and the PS3 has a greater potential, however overall none of the current gen consoles have games that I would buy their console for at full price. If I can get a X Box360 premium or elite for a $100 I would consider it, but not for its current price tag.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

We all know Volo hates Kotors but I really want to know what makes ME much better than kotors ;)

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

For me:

ME might be better than KOTOR because it's not an awkward bastardization of a beloved franchise, now only with everyone and their mother packing steel. KOTOR rubs me the wrong way a little because it behaves like those ripoff toys at the supermarket that call themselves STAR BATTLES to get around licensing, but they actually have the danged license so they don't need to play with that nonsense. Also, the female companion sounds like Dizzy Flores from the Starship Troopers: Roughneck Chronicles animated series.

KOTOR might be better than ME because KOTOR doesn't feature JACK BAUER IN SPACE! OMG, this guy is so XTREEEEEEME!

Edited by Tale

I want some bloody competition, dag nabbit. At least a reason to ponder getting the PS3 beyond MGS4 (which I'll get if I have to buy a PS3 at the time of MGS4's release, but I want to have something before then).

According to an article at Gamespot, Konami is apparently underwhelmed by the recent PS3 pricecut and doubts it will have a large effect on the growth of the Sony system's user base. Thus, they are strongly considering bringing MGS4 to other systems so as to recoup their development costs. This seems even more likely considering Sony's unwillingness to shell out for exclusivity on any game.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Konami has only said that it might have to take steps. People like to misinterpret this as a statement that they're considering going multiplatform. It's a possibility they may be considering, but not what they're saying as it could be among several. It'll be very awkward if Konami decides to do 360 as Kojima has been pretty adamant in his stance. It might go to Xbox eventually, but it'll almost assuredly have some exclusivity on PS3, even if it is time limited. The game would require serious reworking for the 360, at least, and I don't see them holding back the PS3 version if they were going to work on a 360 version.

Edited by Tale

"We all know Volo hates Kotors but I really want to know what makes ME much better than kotors"

Eh I don't hate either KOTOR. I think they are both good games that are overrated. The reason I believe ME will be better than the KOTORs is simple - it will likely have the stuff that made ther KOTORs fun games - characters, solid role-playing, flashy combat, and a cool story; but much improved since I expect BIO to learn from their past games. And, since ME is just BIO's own version of a space (Action) RPG; it should be superior.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I thought what made the KotOR's cool was that they were the first SW-rpgs. If they'd been some random scifi-trite, I don't think I would have bothered with them.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I thought what made the KotOR's cool was that they were the first SW-rpgs. If they'd been some random scifi-trite, I don't think I would have bothered with them.

What I dislike about the KOTORs (I like them, this is just a facet I dislike) is that they do a very poor job of being SW. The Star Wars elements come in two flavors in KOTOR: 1) Completely unrecognizeable and unlike the movies. (everyone running around with swords, Mandalorians that look like Gorillas wearing giant condoms) 2) Recognizeably Star Wars, but they beat you over the head with it to try to give the game Star Wars flavor (1/4 of the game's population are either Jedi or Dark Jedi, everyone who is a bad guy is a Sith and will be called a Sith everytime they, Sith, remotely reference that character, Sith, or who he works for, Sith, Sith Sith).

Also, some utterly redonkulous dialogue.

There is actually some good Star Wars elements, though. The ship designs were beautiful and seemed like they could have existed somewhere along the universe's timeline. The SITH troopers had a good design. The Jedi robes were a reasonable adaptation, though they could have just gone with the standard movie designs.

Edited by Tale

Personally, I'd like if they had just gone with the Assyrian, Tales of the Jedi(which was supposedly in the same continuum as KotOR)look instead of trying to imitate the movies. K1 especially had it bad, as Exar Kun(originally imagined in the comics) had supposedly died 50 years ago and all the cool ancient stuff that made the comics reasonably decent had just disappeared in that time. It's like all the designs just jumped 4000 years forward, the Exchangy, ship designs, cities, everything. Even I had time imagining a universe staying in a cultural and technological deathstage for four millennia, not to mention everything changing in five decades.

In any case, the Assyrian look was way cooler than this semi-SW.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I would have liked it if they had at least been reasonable with their designs. Bioware's Mandalorian designs were ridiculous. Obsidian's Mandalore design was perfect.

They do look like condoms, don't they?

kirottu said:

"We all know Volo hates Kotors but I really want to know what makes ME much better than kotors"

Eh I don't hate either KOTOR. I think they are both good games that are overrated. The reason I believe ME will be better than the KOTORs is simple - it will likely have the stuff that made ther KOTORs fun games - characters, solid role-playing, flashy combat, and a cool story; but much improved since I expect BIO to learn from their past games. And, since ME is just BIO's own version of a space (Action) RPG; it should be superior.

While the productionvalues certainly are over the top with Mass Effect, there's two things that worries me: The story and the implementation of the dialogue-system (Will my Shepherd actually do what i expect him to do?).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

From what I have seen so far of ME the dialogue system is the only thing I really dislike about the game. I prefer to know exactly what my character is going to say.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

That's exactly what I thought, at least for KotOR1.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Same for me. Well, I've yet to play K2.

kirottu said:

I'm still very skeptical about the dialogue system in ME.

I mean, if you look at the gameplay footage that just came up, here are the 3 dialogue choices available to the player:

1. You're right.

2. I'll stop him.

3. Not if I can help it!

Repeat after me:

1. You're right.

2. I'll stop him.

3. Not if I can help it!

Another time, now:

1. You're right.

2. I'll stop him.

3. Not if I can help it!

One last time for good measure:

1. You're right.

2. I'll stop him.

3. Not if I can help it!

Ahh, Bioware, will you ever stop pushing the envelope for interactive storytelling?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

You see, if someone else had posted that it would have been entirely ironic. But as you did it, I am merely obligated to mention, that though I too have doubts about the conversation system in ME, the options are merely summaries of the spoken lines and thus far the critics seem to like it.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

That's still several steps up over Oblivion, which you completed.

And therefore, should be the standard for any RPG :bat:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy