Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The year's half over...

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Well, I am looking forward to the new NVidia cards. Those will be my next purchase.

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3136 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Where are some of the other regulars? Angshuman? Enoch? More opinions, please. Thanks to Bok and mkreku for the ideas. My latest cost test included evga for both the mobo and video.

Oh, I'm hardly any authority on this stuff. I did enough research to build my rig 5 months ago, and haven't been paying too much attention since. (I find the speed at which all my new stuff starts looking less and less new a bit depressing.) The only thing I have to add is that I had an excellent experience with evga tech support. If that's important to you in your shopping, they're a good company to buy from.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
It's one of the reasons I decided against Abit, even though they have an otherwise solid product. Once I looked into it, evga looked like a good choice. One thing I'm wondering if having the same manufacturer for the video and motherboard is even a factor. All things being equal, should I?

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
To tell you the truth, during the five years I've been using Abit I haven't had a single hardware failure (or problem) so I don't even know if they have support. But they do build sturdy stuff, that's for sure.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Dito, my Abit AV8 hasn't shown any problems in the 4 years I use it. OK, the CPU-Temperature sensor works a long way from reality (9░C when idle :) ), but that's about it.

As my next pc is at least one year away, judging by my currently available cash, I hope that AMD is getting competitive in the higher end segement again with Phenom... If anyone plans to buy a new PC by the end of the year, I'd wait until the release of those to see how they perform, and wether Intel will have to cut prices - or the new Core-Generation is even better.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
A lot of the motherboards coming out now/about to come out have some not-yet-implemented features, like DDR3 RAM. This means that you have a choice to buy a slightly cheaper bunch of components that do everything that can possibly be done right now, OR you buy a [limited] future-proof solution containing a lot of very expensive parts that aren't implemented yet and might even be implemented better in six months. I haven't had a moment to look into tech for a while: I was planning to build a new PC about now, but it looks like I'll be waiting on that for a little while.

PS The Phemon is not given warm encouragement in the runes that I read.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I recently visited a friend who works for AMD. He's adamant that their product is better than Intel, and, all things being equal, I will buy AMD. However, I think Intel might still have the advantage on AMD. I don't like it, but it, but I suspect it's true. Thanks for responding, my friend.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
The Phenom not being well received?

http://www.theinquir.../?article=41970

It managed to break the 30,000 point barrier in 3DMark06, according to the Inquirer. That's pretty good to me.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I'm hoping AMD will bring home the bacon, as we need a competitive marketplace.

Interestingly, I read (about a year ago) that Intel was scaling / has scaled back its R&D facilities / expenditure from the monolithic state it had achieved in recent years to a vestigial amount. If it's true, that's really sad (I haven't heard since).

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Anyone know of a good case? I was thinking Thermaltake.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
got a tt myself (tsunami). its ok, though it doesn't look as good as on the pictures, since the front leds are not dispersing their light as shown there. plus, the front intake fan sometimes causes the case to resonate, which could easily be cured by decoupling (?) it from the case by some rubber washers.
tt is a known brand, can't go really wrong. also, antec might be worth a look. google for some reviews if you like the looks of a case.

btw, are you going to buy a phenom when they come out? the baršelona opteron does very well in the first few short reviews, but it's a server cpu. otoh its strong point besides scaling are floating-point operations, and iirc, those is common in games, which would mean that phenom might put some pressure on higher-end intels again :lol:

Edited by samm, 10 September 2007 - 06:18 PM.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm probably going to get a quad. I'll have my initial system specs up for review before I purchase anything. By that time, there might be new developments.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
I still think the Antec Performance P182 is the best looking case out there.

Posted Image
http://www.antec.com...p?ProdID=09182#

It even comes in a new Stainless steel finish!

Posted Image
http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=09183

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah. It's pretty. It also comes with three 120mm fans, two top and one bottom. I think the PSU at the bottom is strange, off the cuff, but it doesn't really bug me. It's under $200 (barely) so it fits my price range on the case (again, barely).

I've read that it's actually tough to work inside the case, but the quality looks quite good. It's only a bit more expensive than the Thermaltake. I'll have to think about it.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts
Yeah, it's quite a hassle working with the P180. Because the PSU is located in its own "wind tunnel" below the actual computer case, you get lower case temperatures so it's perfect for air cooled overclocking. But it also means you have to have a PSU with long cables and you have to pull them through this tiny hole just in front of one of the fans. If you don't do it properly, the cables connect with the fan and either stops it or makes it sound like a plane crashing..

Once you've done the annoying installing though, you have a case that's something extra. The entire case stands on these soft rubber feet to reduce sound. The case itself is built out of three different layers of plastic and metal to reduce sound. It's really sturdy. Everything on the inside is fastened using these soft rubber thingies to reduce sound. The built in fans are adjustable from low to medium to high and if you put them on low they're inaudible. I bought an extra silent PSU (Cooltek 600W) and a huge, silent CPU cooler. The only thing that screams in my box is my GPU (ATI Radeon X1950XTX) but that's only when it's under full load.

I also happen to think it looks very cool :) But I've never been much for the "MORE SHINING DIODES AND PLEXI GLASS WINDOWS EVERYWHERE!!" fashion.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5891 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Its beautiful but I think the stainless steel one would drive my crazy with fingerprints and smudges. Yeah, Im anal like that. :mellow:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8547 posts

Its beautiful but I think the stainless steel one would drive my crazy with fingerprints and smudges. Yeah, Im anal like that. :mellow:

I've been feverishly polishing my girlfriend's new case (Piano black.. shiny!) ever since I bought it for her. You're not anal.. unless I am too :*

Slowtrain

Slowtrain

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5299 posts
Good Lord, Cant just buy the freaking thing already. :woot:

It took me a little over a day to research, buy, and build my new system. And its awesome. You guys spend way to much time pondering this stuff. :woot:

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
You know, it's funny. My video card bit it on my desktop. I installed an 8600 on it, since the wife is getting the old system anyhow. In the meantime, my sister decided she wanted a new system. She had a budget of $1k. I suggested the build, which includes an 8800 evga video, 2 gigs of ocz memory, a core 2 duo, and a seasonic psu. After taxes and shipping, it came out to $1,080. So, I did buy the system. I just didn't buy MINE yet. :D

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2903 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Your sister's build looks very similar to my own. Substitute OCZ for Corsair and the 8600 for an 8800gts. I would also recommend a seasonic power supply. Its cord is definitely long enough for the Antec p180 series.

I have an unorthodox way of building a rig. I start with the peripherals first.

Keyboard: IBM Model M
Mousepad: Ratzpad
Mouse: Logitech G5
Speakers: Cambridge Soundworks -Soundworks 2.1
Monitor: Samsung 215tw 21.5" 1680x1050

I got those components and put them in storage months before my machine was assembled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users