World of Warcraft

Mine would be a sandbox game like EVE (which has near infinite RP opportunities) just without the Dev and GM corruption.

I'm going to avoid saying Blizzard should turn WoW into EVE.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I don't really want a game where the players control the content. First of all, I think content will then suck. Second of all, I think the people most likely to pursue that kind of power have the built in tendency to abuse it. It's not just that the top echelon willl abuse the system, as some have said. It's that the folks who make it to the top of the pile will do so with the intent to abuse it. Put in failsafe measures to prevent that? How about this one? Don't allow it in the first place.

At any rate, the very idea underscores my point. Human interaction is inherently more meaningful and designers must pick up the pace if they want CRPGs to keep up the pace with MMORPGs.

Farb, you also demonstrate the characteristics of one of the WoW groups. You fall into the "I used to be a WoW loser like you, but I realized it sucked after playing for months. Now I'm not a loser like you" category. It's not that you don't enjoy WoW. That's a personal preferrence. However, even at the advanced age of 33, and even having friends who work, you played WoW for some time. I completely agree with Hurlshot on this issue. You played a game and got your money's worth. Then you moved to other things. I can respect that. However, at the even more advanced age of 37, I can tell you that what I play of WoW these days is remarkably like what you cite as your experiences with NWN. I have a group of friends who play together when they can. Unlike you, however, I don't find that kind of fun in the NWN franchise.

Will there come a day when I stop playing WoW? Undoubtedly so. I just hope that I keep my perspective a bit better than you.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just going to say that probably the best gm event games is probably COH/COV. In a couple of instances The "Legends" of the world would go out and get into a massive fight which the characters could participate in. Admittedly this was generally in the world of open beta but every so often it happened in the real world (like the Raluruu invasion that preceeded an opening of another zone) where the devs and GMs would make a character and use the "boss monster" level to fight against hordes of players. In the COV beta ending event, you had the devs suit up as themselves (their board names where the characters in the faux JLA that they loved) and the GM's running around as "Agents" which were suped up basic mobs. it was quite fun.

HOWEVER, what every mmo cannot do is have the game world be affected by the players in a significant way because, quite simply, anyone who had just started a character would scream if, for example, in WoW we were to have Naxx come crashing down on Strat and completely demolish strathome because a single group of players mopped the floor with everything in there. heck EVERYONE would start crying about that because then they couldn't get a super special mount, and they wouldn't ever be able to experience Strat at any point. because then you'd have the devs working overtime to find things that they could change only to have the same group on each server change it asap.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"You fall into the "I used to be a WoW loser like you, but I realized it sucked after playing for months. Now I'm not a loser like you" category."

I resent that remark. I'm not calling anyone a looser, and I did get my moneys worth. I still think that WoW is a decent game but I just wanted more than I could have. Having said that I did get my fill of kids that go "You still got greens? Wtf n00b!", people who jump guilds for more loot and those I met quite a few of. Maybe my experience differs from yours.

-Farb

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

"You fall into the "I used to be a WoW loser like you, but I realized it sucked after playing for months. Now I'm not a loser like you" category."

I resent that remark. I'm not calling anyone a looser, and I did get my moneys worth. I still think that WoW is a decent game but I just wanted more than I could have. Having said that I did get my fill of kids that go "You still got greens? Wtf n00b!", people who jump guilds for more loot and those I met quite a few of. Maybe my experience differs from yours.

-Farb

That's the trick with MMO's, they put on the box "Game experience may vary" because you can have a vastly different game depending on the server, the players you run across, your guild, etc. There isn't any right or wrong way to play an MMO.

Ah, I was just in an angry Eldar moment. Hate that guy. Okay, so you've got a point and reading your comments anew, I take back my mean ol' words.

...And I respect the idea that there's a 'right and wrong' for you. That makes sense.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't really want a game where the players control the content. First of all, I think content will then suck. Second of all, I think the people most likely to pursue that kind of power have the built in tendency to abuse it. It's not just that the top echelon willl abuse the system, as some have said. It's that the folks who make it to the top of the pile will do so with the intent to abuse it. Put in failsafe measures to prevent that? How about this one? Don't allow it in the first place.

I'm not following your logic.

If certain players group together (as they do now), then what harm could be done if they had some of their own special (non-magic) items. More like "diary icons" than weapons, if you follow my meaning.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

As a new guy to the WoW I decided to share revelation that came to me when I had to buy my first pre-paid game card(30

If certain players group together (as they do now), then what harm could be done if they had some of their own special (non-magic) items. More like "diary icons" than weapons, if you follow my meaning.

I think one concern Cant has is that it will take away from the atmosphere of the game by injecting ridiculous content that doesn't fit the setting.

I think one concern Cant has is that it will take away from the atmosphere of the game by injecting ridiculous content that doesn't fit the setting.

I think it's more of an interest in professional seriously developed content from those with experience and a vested livelihood in attempting quality as opposed to content that results from a bunch of random people over the internet who, by majority, lack experience and have limited investment.

Also "power corrupts."

Additionally, there's a vast difference between players controlling the content and players getting "diary icons."

Edited by Tale

I played WoW for little over a year. And given the number of jerks and extremely immature players I encountered I wouldn't want most of them posting on a forum the developers read, let alone given ANY control of the game.

Edited by tripleRRR

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

Hmmm... *ahem* I hate MMORPGs.

It had to be said. Really.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

*pats Sand on the head while speaking in soothing tones*

There there, we know, it's okay. :verymad:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Additionally, there's a vast difference between players controlling the content and players getting "diary icons."

Exactly. (To be clear, what I meant by "diary icons" is just non-critical content, such as custom side quests that result in token rewards.)

I played WoW for little over a year. And given the number of jerks and extremely immature players I encountered I wouldn't want most of them posting on a forum the developers read, let alone given ANY control of the game.

The type of player you are referring to would not be interested in creating trivial custom content for others, merely killing things for ph4t 1ew7.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

But they would do it for a power trip. And I wouldn't really trust many of the decent, polite people in that game to know what to do with creating content.

If you want to enjoy player created content with other people stick with the NWN2 modules.

I would very much enjoy seeing some nice GM run events though.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

It's funny how separated a lot of folks feel from their team-mates online. I was playing with a friend the other day when someone who'd teamed with us before asked to join our group. He must have thought that we were good folks, because he asked to join our guild. Now, my guild, and that's a pretty loose term, is comprised of family and friends and one online friend who just decided we were great and has become a regular. When this person joined, I started talking to one of the guildies who wasn't on guild chat at the time and addressed him by name. Comedy. The new member said, "you know each others real names?" hahaha I think it's funny that folks can be in a guild and team with one another on a regular basis but NOT know each other's names.

WoW has become its own separate little universe. Like here, folks know each other in WoW as someone distinct from their real life personas. It's like the person playing WoW is somehow different from the person on this message board who is also different from the person walking through life. Now, my attitudes, and my opinions, are largely the same in both places, but I'm sure there's some difference. I'm sure that some folks prefer the anonymity that MMORPGs grant them. I can't imagine not sharing something of myself with regular guildies.

Obsidian Plays

My only two MMO experiences were DAoC and WoW, both very shortly.

When I entered DAoC, people stood around and chatted the whole day --> How exciting. I quit after 2 minutes.

When I installed the WoW trial, I sorta was attracted to the quirky funny rabbits and graphics first, so I gave it a go. But after ~5 min, when I figured out all game mechanics, I questioned myself "There certainly must be more". When people started jumping at me and silly messages popped up everywhere, I got annoyed and quit.

Bottom line: I leave that stuff to the school kids who have time for that nonsense. Unless some developer won't fundamentally change this genre, I won't get into it.

Bring on some fine Singleplayer RPGs. Fergie, I'm looking at you!

I see MMORPGs as the future. If you can get a game that is successfull enough to get people to actively take an interest in the game and the creation of extra content (as in NwN) the sky is the limit. Forgotten Realms, Planescape and other RP worlds have great potential for making a killing if the right environment is created. More so if many people freely donate their work and skills to be a part of the experience.

Take RogueDao. They are banding together to do something for FREE for a whole community. We are talking a group of people who in their free time are making a game module that seems to be compareable (at the very least) to premium modules. These people have different motivations, but bottom line is, the gamer wins. I get more for less, in this case more for nothing. I dont see that stopping with NWN. I can see it going on in the MMORPG world.

If you are serious about getting experience in the gaming world, hoping to get your product and abilities discovered you would be very very disciplined indeed. Temting as it might be to reward friends and famely, if you could prove by some standart that you are "dependable" to produce and mantain a good product without ****ing it up, you will be interesting ( I should hope) to people who make games. The hobby CAN become a paycheck. If you put in the time, the effort and have the dedication.

Why did people voulonteer as GM's in EQ ? Why do people make modules for NwN ? Why do people give a good god damn rats arse about a game outside of the flatscreen ? It gives them nothing... short of the experience of participating and creating, instead of just being idle_ragdol_36039356. ! For that experience alone, some people will work wonders.

-Farb

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!