Crashed Computer

ghosta

I was playing RCT3 on my computer when the mouse froze for some reason. I then closed the game whith windows task manager. My computer then for some reason froze. I thought if I turned off the computer it would be alright but, the only it would turn off was if I turn of the mainpower switch in the back of the tower. So after hiting the switch off and back on I turned the computer back on. When the cumputer loaded up I found everything on the desktop had bean deleated. Luckly everything directly on the hardrive was still there. So what happened to my computer?

Edited by ghosta

Your not all ways being honest when your telling the truth.

Everything slows down when water's around.

no I didn't refresh the desktop. Are you saying that might restore the desktop, or are you saying that it deleated it?

Not enough information to determine "what happened".

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin? You can undelete stuff from there, unless you have turned off this safety feature (in which case stuff gets deleted without being kept in there until you tell it again).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I tried to refresh the desktop but it didn't do anything. What I lost was everything that was on the desktop. Everything that was in a folder stored on the desktop is now gone.

I'm betting your user account got hosed. Look under C:\Documents and settings and check your users. Desktop should be a subdirectory under your normal user logon; there should also be an All users, an Administrator, and a guest account, each with their own desktop settings.

If that's the case, it's possible that your shortcuts and 'My Documents' are still there, but Windox can't find them. Quick and dirty fix is to just create a new user account and copy the old shortcuts, favorites, etc. into the appropriate folders. Log on under that new account. IIRC you won't recover everything, but it will make you feel human again.

Edited by kalimeeri

Another idea is to keep your desktop intentionally clear. :wowey:

Use the "My Documents" folder as a top level storage organisational point, with all your stuff sorted into subfolders therein.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ok I used the file searcher to look for the files on the C drive and there there. :ermm: However when I make new shortcuts thier gone when I restart the computer. I'll try to create a new user and see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by ghosta

Isn't there an option in Windows (possibly depending on version) that allows you to see icons on your desktop or not? Maybe it got toggled somehow?

Just speculating on what could match your description.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Isn't there an option in Windows (possibly depending on version) that allows you to see icons on your desktop or not? Maybe it got toggled somehow?

sarry, but that just dosn't make sense. Why would somone want thier desktop icons to be invisivible? What purpose would it serve?

I havn't had a chance to make a new user yet so I don't know if it will work yet.

sarry, but that just dosn't make sense. Why would somone want thier desktop icons to be invisivible? What purpose would it serve?

I havn't had a chance to make a new user yet so I don't know if it will work yet.

It doesn't make sense, but it's still true. Only in XP, though. And perhaps Vista, too.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I finally got to making a new user. I have to remake all the shortcuts but at least there not disappearing anymore. So I guess the problem is fixed.

As to turning the desktop icons invisible. I've had XP for years now and have never come across it nor ever heard of it.

Edited by ghosta