NWN2 Interview

Xard

I like Josh and how he makes games. He's got a unique approach. He's not always correct in practice, but I generally tend to identify with his ideals for how games should be made. Wish he'd be a bit more positive about the game, though - unless he truly didn't enjoy it.

And I'm not yet sure what his stance on cheese and balance is. I get the feeling he's vehemently opposed to cheese... which isn't so good, IMHO. Sure balance is important, but oft-times people focus on it to the detriment of enjoyment of things like gameplay. There was nothing cooler in IWD1/BG1&2/PS:T/D2 than finding that magic item that was just a bit too powerful for your level, but not gamebreakingly (and it's strength would diminish as your power increased anyway). Similar for spells and such (the druid's spike growth or thorn spay in IWD, or the mage's Mordenkainen's sword). Hell, even in Fallout when you a gun to early it's that little bit more fun for a while. Well that was off-topic.

Edited by Krezack

Also, this may not be entirely comparable, but I recall shortly after Oblivion's release, an ex-Bethesda writer/designer (was around for Morrowind and Tribunal) was quite openly critical of the game. I think lots of development studios have these sort of things going on, but you have to be a savvy fanboy to ever hear about it. I recall also a couple instances of Todd Howard (head Bethesda guy, I believe) acknowledging faults in Oblivion. Not exactly Josh's Straight-Talk Express style, but it was also not pure PR.

The key to this one is ex-employee. Plus bethseda made the site owner (which was a bethseda fan site) of the interview take it down, as it was getting bad press. This was kinda an exception for Bethseda, as it really was done by someone who was no longer with the company.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The key to this one is ex-employee. Plus bethseda made the site owner (which was a bethseda fan site) of the interview take it down, as it was getting bad press. This was kinda an exception for Bethseda, as it really was done by someone who was no longer with the company.

I think I know what you're talking about, but I was alluding to a different case, in which a different ex-designer made some critical posts in the official Elder Scrolls Lore forum (where many of the most hardcore TES fans would gather), shortly after Oblivion's release. To be fair though, I think he deleted his harshest criticism.

I thought that it was a very good interview. With any position you should never think that your product is perfect. Whenever I am playing a game that I enjoy or reading a good book, even though i enjoy the book/game i always think to myself "This was good, but how can I make this better?" I feel that once you stop critiquing yourself then you stop learning.

Never settling for average and always working to make things better is why working with Josh is so much fun!

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

I really enjoyed NWN2. I sure hope the expansion maintains the basics of the original, and keeps the cheat code that allows me to have as many companions as I want, since it the comraderie of a full party added so much fun to my personal experience (your own experience may vary with my blessing!)

I thought that it was a very good interview. With any position you should never think that your product is perfect. Whenever I am playing a game that I enjoy or reading a good book, even though i enjoy the book/game i always think to myself "This was good, but how can I make this better?" I feel that once you stop critiquing yourself then you stop learning.

Never settling for average and always working to make things better is why working with Josh is so much fun!

Most interviews with still employed members of a development team sugar coat their interviews. Even when critical of their own product, it is more like "Well, this could have done a LITTLE better and this could have been done a LITTLE better... but the rest of the game was fricken' awesome man!"

The reason I like Josh's interview, is he is critical of almost everything reviewers and fans were disapointed with instead of sugar coating it or skirting around the issue. I also remember interviews with Josh prior to the games release that were critical of many things in the game. From his interviews and previews, I knew that the main thing I should be excited about was the main story, and I wasn't disapointed. As a fan it makes me realize that you guys understand the mistakes, and probably (hopefully) wont make them again, or wont make the mistakes on the same level that they were made with NWN 2.

From the patches being released, I can also see that Obsidian is really trying to get at the core issues that were complained about fixed.

Oh be quiet. Tell me what is roleplaying before saying crap like that. Both NWN2 and KotOR 2 offered awesome roleplaying options and situations, not all the time of course (lots of sucking too), but still. Esp. NWN2 shined occasionally with many conversation choices.

When arguing with Ammon Jerro for reasons to your deeds you had seven differing answering options instead of generic "good" "neutral" and "bad".

I'm not saying this happened all the time or that it was perfect (roleplaying as evil was very, very badly done) but OC left very, good, roleplaying memories to me. Trial was and still is great piece of gaming.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

The trial is the best piece of Role Playing in a game in a very very very very long time. Roshan is just bitter.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Xard, your post is contradictory. First you ask me to tell you what roleplaying is, thus demonstrating your ignorance of the concept. Then, you proceed to talk of the supposed awesome roleplaying options in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Xard, your post is contradictory. First you ask me to tell you what roleplaying is, thus demonstrating your ignorance of the concept. Then, you proceed to talk of the supposed awesome roleplaying options in Neverwinter Nights 2.

Roleplaying = assuming, playing and living a role of character in game world. (of course before some smart guy starts to bitch, yes, in this way all games can be considered as roleplaying. However you should know what I'm talking about, meaningful choices, dialogue options etc.)

This is exactly what I've been able to do in NWN2 also.

Quality of roleplaying can be argued (although overall it's pretty good IMHO). But I can't understand crap like saying that OE isn't interested about roleplaying since that's what they're both games has pretty much provided

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

"The trial is the best piece of Role Playing in a game in a very very very very long time."

For the most part, it was well done. However, JE beats it with the foreigner debate and the ghost kiddies.

Overall, I thoguht NWN2 OC had solid role-playing. However, any game wher eyou have convos like this:

PC: Get lost. I dont' want you near me.

NPC: ...

PC: *repeat*

NPC:....

5 days later:

PC: *looks at NPC* You still here? You don't get the memo? I don't wnat you here!

NPC: I like you too much. i ain't going anywhere no matter what you say or do.

17 days later:

PC: Prepare to die Evil One!

Main Villain: I have found some allies of yours that will ebtray you!

PC: Huh?

NPC: *steps out* You were so mean to me! You hurt my feelings, and I was so nice to you (in the stalking sort of way). You betrayed me and my feelings!

PC: How? All I wnated was for you to elave me alone!

NPC: Die, evil one! *attacks PC*

PC: WTF?

(btw, This scenario can be used for KOTOR series and JE to a lesser degree; but it was most blatant in NWN2).

Not to mention scenarios like this:

PC tries to negotiate peace between lizardfolk and villagers. Uses his diplomacy skill and fails check on both parties who STILL agree to peace. Why bother using the skill check if it means nothing. L0L?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The trial is the best piece of Role Playing in a game in a very very very very long time. Roshan is just bitter.

I liked the trial. It was good fun putting that bitch in her place.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.