Walsingham

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6541131.stm

The Beeb doesn't say so in as many words but this is surely a case of comeuppance too late. However, I thought it might be nice to have something we can ALL agree on. The man seems to have been utterly without any human merit.

Thoughts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Greek doctrine -- which is to be found in much Christian philosophy, but not in popular Christianity -- was that the sensible world, in space and time, is an illusion, and that, by intellectual and moral discipline, man can learn to live in the eternal world, which alone is real. The Jewish and Christian doctrine, on the other hand, coceived the Other World as not metaphysically different from this world, but as in the future, when the virtuous would enjoy everlasting bliss and the wicked would suffer everlasting torment. This belief embodied revenge psychology, and was intelligible to all and sundry, as the doctrines of Greek philosophers were not.
It was at this time [170BC] that the doctrine of immortality came to be widely believed among the Jews. It had been thought that virtue would be rewarded here on earth; but the persecution, which fell upon the most virtuous, made it evident that this was not the case. In order to safeguard divine justice, therefore, it was necessary to believe in rewards and punishments hereafter.
St Augustine holds that God divided mankind into the elect and the reprobate, not because of their merits or demerits, but arbitrarily, All alike deserve damnation, and therefore the reprobate have no grounds for complaint.

No reason can be given why some are saved and the rest are damned; this is due to God's unmotived choice. Damnation proves God's justice; salvation, his Mercy. Both equally display is goodness.

I'm desperately trying to locate the passage where he states that Earthly justice is an affront to Divine Justice ... :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Without merit, for sure. But what occurs to me is that maybe he had nowhere left to run? He had a raft of wolves on his tail; and it seems entirely in character for him to cheat earthly justice one last time.

I'm desperately trying to locate the passage where he states that Earthly justice is an affront to Divine Justice ... :lol:

You know, I be thinking the king of thoughts Walsh wants you to proffer are more easily found in My Name Is Earl, than Saint Augie's brain addles.

Not a very nice man, no. According to my understanding of karma, he'll now be reborn in a form that allows him plentiful opportunity for purification of the soul through suffering. A Man City supporter, perhaps?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm desperately trying to locate the passage where he states that Earthly justice is an affront to Divine Justice ... :)

You know, I be thinking the king of thoughts Walsh wants you to proffer are more easily found in My Name Is Earl, than Saint Augie's brain addles.

My original subheading was 'Karma is a funny thing' :p

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As an aside, someone just threw an egg at me on the way back from the pub.

-Elwood Blues

Bad Karma?

There is just no escaping HM Revenue and Customs. Lady Di didn't, Mark Langford didn't... :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They just did that to egg you on. :(

As for Langford, what he did was terrible but not enough to warrant his death. Maybe a mangling or two, but not enough to be killed.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6541131.stm

The Beeb doesn't say so in as many words but this is surely a case of comeuppance too late. However, I thought it might be nice to have something we can ALL agree on. The man seems to have been utterly without any human merit.

Thoughts?

Just some much needed evidence that God does truly exist and that he occassionally has a sense of justice. One more maggot that puts the financial health of his pocketbook far over and above that of those that he employs. F*** him! I hope he suffered a while before he died. He skipped on a wrongfull death and he screwed his employees out of their livelihood. I hope there was fire involved in his death. I also hope there is more to come in his afterlife. Maybe a little flaying as well just to make it interesting. I'll even donate a sharp knife to God to make it happen.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

C'mon Tarna, tell us how you really feel!!

I hope it was painfull and lingering. Not long enuf I'm afraid for someone like this. Maggots like this harken back to the days of the 'robber barons' of the days of old.

In the words of the emminent Volo...Fry em! Extra crispy! And a coat-hanger for any of his vermin offspring that might be harbouring any of his views toward this same treatment of humanity.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Karma is the poorest reason to explain why things happen to bad people or why good things happen to good people. Why do people ignore the fact that good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people just as much as vice versa? People notice this kind of thing because it fits their idea of justice, so they explain it by saying the word, "karma," and they think they have conveyed an intelligent idea. There are numerous examples of good people who just have a lot of horrible things happen to them, and bad people get away with stuff and have no problems. Karma is a stupid term to address life's complex or random happenstances.

The phrase, "what comes around goes around," is perhaps a little better, but it still doesn't tell the whole story. People seem to say these things like they are scientific laws. What may be more accurate would be the phrase, "There are consequences to people's actions." For example, if you are a jerk to people, and you get fired, it is not because of karma, rather because you are a jerk.

That's my rant on karma. Thanks for listening. Please feel free to tear my argument apart now.

No, I think you've got it right. One of the big Enron guys cashed all his stocks in a little bit before the company collapsed, after doing his part in swindling investors and employees. Since he was going through a divorce at the time, he used it as effective cover for flushing his stocks. Walked away with $250 million, he's the second largest landowner in CO, and he's living in Hawaii now with his stripper wife. He'll never have to answer for anything he did.

An effective counterplatitude to "what goes around comes around" is "nice guys finish last". They often do.

For the most part, I agree with Blank.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'm glad my viewpoint so far isn't considered outright stupid. It's too late though, because the word karma has made it into everyday usage. To avoid being tormented for the rest of my days, I just accept that people say "karma" to try and make conversation, commenting on situations that match the jaundiced parameters of the word.

Edited by Blank

No, I think you've got it right. One of the big Enron guys cashed all his stocks in a little bit before the company collapsed, after doing his part in swindling investors and employees. Since he was going through a divorce at the time, he used it as effective cover for flushing his stocks. Walked away with $250 million, he's the second largest landowner in CO, and he's living in Hawaii now with his stripper wife. He'll never have to answer for anything he did.

An effective counterplatitude to "what goes around comes around" is "nice guys finish last". They often do.

Strikes me as being a prime target for kidnapping. Assuming anyone wouldpay for his release. I don't know why the mob are so louche these days.

-Elwood Blues

The wheel keeps o'turning, Badger.
That only matters to those on the rim.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Strikes me as being a prime target for kidnapping. Assuming anyone wouldpay for his release. I don't know why the mob are so louche these days.

I can pay 5

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I can pay 5

Ruminations...

Capsaicin on the loo roll.

-Elwood Blues