Possible armageddon if deep impact not avoided

Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You can quote me on the fact that the Armageddon will happen in 2036. In fact, if you do a search of my posts on various forums, I am sure you can find one in which I've already said that.

I speak with some authority on the matter, being an Archdevil and all.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

At three hundred million a time that shouldn't be too bad. Sounds good to me, what with the international cooperation and all.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wanna bet? Somebody is bound to try to turn it into a weapon somehow. This weeks special offer: Homing Asteroids :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wanna bet? Somebody is bound to try to turn it into a weapon somehow. This weeks special offer: Homing Asteroids :shifty:

Good thinking. I suggest we patent it.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I find that picture of Ben more frightening than the possibility of an asteroid.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nice perspective of the future...

Should we go :teehee: or :joy: ?

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The cost of the mission will be $300 million. A pittance compared to what we spend anyway...and think of the cost of the worst case scenario...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Its not like the Earth hasn't been hit by an asteroid before. :teehee:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Its not like the Earth hasn't been hit by an asteroid before. :teehee:

You mean those occasions where global temperatures dropped several degrees, whole harvests failed etc etc? Yes, how unbearably tedious.

-Elwood Blues

The Earth survived did it not.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Ah. As I recall you and I disagree on the importance of the human race. I consider the survival of the species to be the only ineluctably worthwhile thing a human can pursue. I'm also rather fond of human beings. Whereas my recent impression is that you are not! :teehee:

-Elwood Blues

Ah. As I recall you and I disagree on the importance of the human race. I consider the survival of the species to be the only ineluctably worthwhile thing a human can pursue. I'm also rather fond of human beings. Whereas my recent impression is that you are not! :aiee:

I am also quite fond of the human race. Mostly. I just don't think that such an asteroid hit will mean the end of our species. End of our civilization, more than likely. End of our species, not so much. Human beings are a highly adaptable and intelligent race. I do not have any doubt that in such a cataclysm the human race will survive.

Yes but which bits? The most brutish?

-Elwood Blues

The most fittest.

It isn't the first time in the last 10-20 years that a threat from space has come around.

When Armageddon came out, NASA was looking for funds to launch a counter-asteroid project.

The main theory was what was explored in the film, both a nuclear missiles strike and a manned mission on the asteroid itself.

I've read that some consipracy theorists were saying that most of the profits from the movie were used to fund the project.

A few years ago an asteroid of similar size passed a few thousand kilometers from earth, we barely survived they say.

This is another one.

Will we be so lucky twice?

We need Armaggeddon 2 : The Astero

Edited by astr0creep

Ah. As I recall you and I disagree on the importance of the human race. I consider the survival of the species to be the only ineluctably worthwhile thing a human can pursue. I'm also rather fond of human beings. Whereas my recent impression is that you are not! :aiee:

I sure do enjoy living 8)

Earth did... its inhabitants (or should I say dinosaurs?) didn't... The same fate awaits human kind... :thumbsup:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

After all the people here listed immortality as the one bioupgrade that they'd take in a thread a while back, I'm rather surprised that people are so willing to merely shrug their shoulders at the idea that the fittest will survive a meteor impact.