Alternative life

Rosbjerg

Here's an idea!

Run around, claiming to shoot beams out of your eyes.

mikurubeam.gif

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i'm not sure if camping counts as "extreme," but this year we intend to start "scatter camping." this means you find a place out of the way, then go off road to a nice spot. no facilities, just roughing it (with complete gear of course) in the wilderness. my son is old enough that he we can handle being without facilities for a weekend or so. once he's 7 or 8 we'll start hiking up into the forest.

i've found some really, really, really nice places down near aspen (actually on independence pass, btw). the pass is closed through july, so there is not much traffic near the sites.

taks

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

i'm not sure if camping counts as "extreme," but this year we intend to start "scatter camping."  this means you find a place out of the way, then go off road to a nice spot.  no facilities, just roughing it (with complete gear of course) in the wilderness.  my son is old enough that he we can handle being without facilities for a weekend or so.  once he's 7 or 8 we'll start hiking up into the forest.

i've found some really, really, really nice places down near aspen (actually on independence pass, btw).  the pass is closed through july, so there is not much traffic near the sites.

taks

that sounds like a really good idea.. most kids would probably hate it though.. until later in their lives when they realize it was a great experiance..

Fortune favors the bald.

I hated camping when I was a kid. There was never any place to plug in my Commodore 64. :(

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

That's why you have to start young. :(

I remember the excitement at camping with my brother for his ninth birthday (so I must have been four) ... it was a great time, even though I was asleep pretty early and it rained and I was in puddle in the tent.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I dunno about that: camping seems to be something that most people like when they are young, and tend to lose interest in as they prefer the comforts of the nearest 3-star hotel ...

I was never one for luxuries either.. I just hated sleeping in a tent.. most people (my age) I know hated camping as well - but we were one of the first computer generations so I think that has alot to do with it.. I remember writing a protest song to my parents, at about age 8, proclaiming the futility of going camping compared to traveling to a different country.. Maybe I was just bored with Danish nature, since we don't have any mountains or true unspoiled land. ^_^

Fortune favors the bald.

We travel more than any other country on Earth (compared to size).. Which is a bit sad, but cool at the same time, since you'll always meet a fellow Dane when traveling.. this in turn tend to make us seek out each other when abroad, so in effect we just take Danish culture with us to another country (this of course doesn't apply to every single Dane)

Fortune favors the bald.

I dunno about that: camping seems to be something that most people like when they are young, and tend to lose interest in as they prefer the comforts of the nearest 3-star hotel ...

not in colorado. you have to book campsites as soon as the website opens (i.e. starts accepting reservations) on january 1. nearly every public campsite with facilities is booked within a month of reservation acceptance, beginning season open (sometime in late may) through labor day (early september).

the other family i camp with is big into camping. they have a trailer they bring full of gear, including fully packed 3-day backpacks for scattering after arriving at the main campsite. unfortunately, my son is too small to really hike (just under 4 years old, not even 4 feet tall yet) so we can't go hiking yet. with the exception of a proper tent, we could all winter camp (i.e. in the snow) as well.

taks

Yeah, I only did the one night at that age (and I know my brother was fairly unimpressed to have me there with all his peers); my father owned a (big, two-bedroom, six-birth) boat and we used to spend time in the broadwater, which is where this particular campsite was (on one of the many islands in the sheltered waterway).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

we went out 5 or 6 times last year. i did about a week over the 4th of july (will do that again this year). as a matter of fact, i think i posted about my 4-wheel trip over timber hill into silverton. 30-mile campground is in the least densely populated county of colorado. mostly bears down there, and mountain lions. ;)

taks

I've recently really want to go full gear middle of nowhere hike/camp in the wilderness. Either alone or with a friend. I've been camping a few times but it definitely wasn't extreme or anything. It was like a camping site about 15-20 miles away from this small town. Basically had like 10-15 small camping sites like 20+ yards away from each other. Each one had its own water pump, and they had a stock pile of wood that you could use. It was kind of nice though because they had a short hike that started at the camp site and lead through the mountains, along a stream and then to a small lake which is where the camp site was located near.

Im pretty sure I could do a real wilderness run now for atlast a week. Backpack full of energy bars(just incase), a couple of good knives, some flint/lighter, tent, sleeping bag, proper clothes, and some basic knowledge of terrain/plants/animals/etc.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I hated camping as a kid. Taught me to respect all the hard work my forefathers had put in creating civilisation, goddamit.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

- Forgive everything. Just let it go. Respond to all things painful; "it's okay - you are my past and I accept you"

Good one. The last part sounds a little Buddhist. Sometimes carrying emotional baggage hurts you more than it should just because you allow it to.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

- Forgive everything. Just let it go. Respond to all things painful; "it's okay - you are my past and I accept you"

Good one. The last part sounds a little Buddhist. Sometimes carrying emotional baggage hurts you more than it should just because you allow it to.

*thinks* That would have been an awesome line to use on the guy who stabbed me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.