1. 1. If you can pick one...

• Night vision retinas to eyes
    • gills to breathe underwater!
    • muscle enhancement by nanotechnology
    • faster healing by nano technology
    • better hand eye-coordination with nerve implants
    • more oxygen to brain to think clearer
    • other (explain)
    • None (I don't want any bioengineering)
    • None (you are all going to hell if you modify your body)

The ability to go on without sleep indefinitely.

Well, this is almost possible! :)

(pharmaceutically, not genetically though)

I think being immortal would only be "good" if I wasn't a social creature.

The idea of staying young, while my friends and family get old, and ultimately die, could very easily lead to being horrible.  I wouldn't age with my friends, and would essentially still be a young man and would probably find myself with shifting relationships.  Even if I remained friends with them, watching my children grow up and die, in addition to their children, and their children's children, would be a never ending cycle of trauma that would come at least once a generation.

Recreating myself and reforming new friendships, new intimate relationships, would eventually become an emotionally straining monotony.

I don't think it will be the "never ending trauma". Human emotions will fade out somewhat in time, and you'd focus on other (bigger) things.

Like a lich.

I enjoy my emotions and my emotional connections. It's what makes me feel alive (and in a twisted sort of way, why I feel sorry for psychopaths).

If it were to come to a point where I'm so focused on "bigger" things that I no longer felt emotional pain, then I might as well be dead.

If I'm being modest I'd say a third arm, on my right side. It would just be awesome, particularly for emphatic body language. I could cross my arms and still gesticulate angrily!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Everlasting life would be good for starters. My family/friends always move away or die, so I don't have much of a connection to anyone. I could handle being the guy who wanders through time, having one adventure after another, watching everyone else grow old and die after living a life full of vanity. In fact, I'd probably start a business and write computer games to help them pass the time. My experience would outpace everyone else's after a few decades, and the games would always keep up with technology. I'd be able to learn all aspects of the craft so few employees would be necessary. Ah, the whole idea brings a tear to my eye. Such fun I'd have; living forever and doing something I love the whole time.

In fact, ultimately I'd probably end up designing my own computer chips, operating systems, and development tools, as I could see myself growing impatient with the amateurish efforts of yet another new generation of engineers. Yes, that would be fun.

Of course, I'd have a few other enhancements in order to deal with the occasional miscreant who decided (assuming he gives it any thought at all) I might be easy prey.

Hmm. Everlasting Life...

I would go to the bank and get a loan for 100 000 000 000$ over eternity.

Then I'd buy a mysterious mountain that I would baptise Mysterious Mountain.

On said mountain I would build a tower filled with the most devious and deadly devices ever conceived and at the top of my tower I would place a locked chest containing... 20 000 000 000$.

Each 4 years I would have a tournament in which all world leaders would compete to reach the top of my tower, where I would wait patiently with the biggest axe by my side. Whoever could wield the axe well enough to break the chest would win it's content.

Of course I would also carry a dagger for their back but lets keep this quiet shall we?

Mouahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :(

I would like the ability to control my beard growth at will.

That would be incredibly awesome!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Eternal life is tempting - but mostly because of the fact that something new and exiciting will always arise.. you might've seen alot but you'll never have seen it all.. and once man reaches the stars - when then it get's interesting!

Fortune favors the bald.

Eternal life means more chances to get laid. Everything else is secondary.

Heja Sverige!!

If I'm being modest I'd say a third arm, on my right side. It would just be awesome, particularly for emphatic body language. I could cross my arms and still gesticulate angrily!

You could make more complex observations too: "On the one hand ......; On the other hand .....; On the gripping hand ....."

See: "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Nivan and Jerry Pournelle and "The Gripping Hand" by Larry Nivan. A very nice Sci Fi series.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

our brain doesn't need more oxygen to think better (or clearer) as much as more energy.. So if I could have an implant that constantly supplied me with the broken down compounds my body needed- and sorted out the bad ones - I would choose that.

Then you could go eat and drink like you wanted without consequences.. hedonism is my favorite sin! ^_^

You mean gluttony?

I would go with the healing. Lifespan would probably be significantly improved. I want to live to see as much as possible.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Eternal life means more chances to get laid. Everything else is secondary.

Not without eternal youth

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Surely the point with the lasagna would be that his friends and enemies would get sick of Italian food, not him.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Some sort of nano memory upgrade. Basically some sort of super storage in my brain so I could retain all info I encounter. So basically like the super memory chick in Heroes.

Then I'd read as much of wikipedia as possible and go on Jeopardy.

Actually, that's all I'd want: near-perfect retention would make life so easy. (The brain doesn't need more oxygen.)

Enhanced senses would be nice but not essential.

Eternal life is a curse. Long life would be okay.

PS Is this actually a decent topic from EdD'Oh? :aiee:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=42276

It's the second decent topic by the guy, I think.

Heja Sverige!!

Hey, apart from the ones about bums he has good topics! :aiee:

I'm not sure you'd enjoy perfect retention, Meta. What about the bad stuff?

I'd go for eternal youth. With enemies like you'd make given enough time, I think eternal life would only be violently removed from you. Better to make with the groovy disco dancing and vomiting in rose bushes.

-Elwood Blues

Bad stuff teaches us lessons. :)

I bored with vomiting in flower beds and I haven't even reached middle age (quite in the back), let alone eternity.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=42276

It's the second decent topic by the guy, I think.

:aiee:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT