Army frowns on D&D

Hurlshort

You must be used to getting better orders than I am.

Being through boot camp and some military training they pretty much try to erase individuality and basically do a form of brainwashing that you would comply to every order given. Yet have laws that make the soldier accountable for his actions and not the commander who dictates his actions.

*sigh*

One time you are going to be right about something and Im going to fall out of my chair. While Im sure you feel you know all there is to know about the military what with the 6-8 weeks you invested before getting canned, my 7.5 years of active duty thouroughly disproves your "facts".

1) Blind obedience is only taught in bootcamp. This is, as you surmised, used to break down the individuals and form them into a team mentality. This is used for unit cohesion and training the person to function under stress. Once you reach your duty station, you are expected to follow all "lawful" orders, but not all order period (below).

2) Military personel are not required to follow "unlawful" orders. Meaning, if your ordered to run in and gun down the monastary full of retarded nuns, you do not have to follow it and you will suffer no reprucussion.

While you may be bitter for being found unfit for duty but you dont have to make up BS and pass it off as fact.

1) Blind obedience is only taught in bootcamp. This is, as you surmised, used to break down the individuals and form them into a team mentality. This is used for unit cohesion and training the person to function under stress. Once you reach your duty station, you are expected to follow all "lawful" orders, but not all order period (below).

It's a common technique, too, used in corporate culture (and schools, too) for teambuilding.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hell, a similar psychology is employed in the BDSM Community to form the Sub/Dom relationship.

Although that is a willing thing, and it misses out on the Point of Rebellion through Discipline and Unity that turns an Obedient "Drone" into a Trained and Dangerous "Soldier."

Still it's unfortunate that most peoples knowledge of Basic Training and the Psychology behind it does not extend beyond watching Full Metal Jacket.

Edited by Mortis Nai

The impression I got from reading up on many things about D-Day was that the Allies gained the advantage because their NCOs and Junior Officers had much more freedom to show initiative than the Wermacht did.

Im not sure if this is Urban Legend or not but Ive heard that during D-Day there were several Tiger divisions nearby that werent brought to bear due to the fact they only took orders diretly from Hitler, who was napping, and nobody wanted to wake him. You know anything about that one way or the other?

Edited by Gfted1

I have heard about that too. I believe the TIME Magazine 60th Anniversary magazine mentioned it.

The one that was particularly neat was when the US Navy had Destroyers nearby one of the beaches (likely Omaha, since that's where they were having the most trouble). Apparently the destroyers broke protocol, and aggressively approached the beaches to make their fire support much more accurate, relying on their own visual spotting rather than from radio teams on the beach. They got as close as they possibly could (I think one even bottomed out) to provide maximum fire support. It's a bit shakey since I read it a while ago (2004), but I do remember one of the command ships picking up a radio signal from the beach stating "Thank god for the United States Navy"

But for much, much worse, Hitler had assumed pretty much absolute control of his armed forces by that time. Ironically, when Germany was achieving a lot of military successes, it was when more open thinkers such as Guderian and Manstein that encouraged initiative had more control over their forces.

Its because people who play D&D have a "weak personality"! :aiee:

The IDF needs people who have a strong personality! :bat:

Weak vs Strong. :aiee:

It's as easy as that. :(

Clearly a well thought out and researched policy. :crazy:

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Well yeah if you want to over simplify it and all.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I believe that one of the questions the USAF asks when interviewing for security clearance is "In the past 15-20 (not sure which) have you ever thought about taking control of the world?"

Now if you ask this to a 25 year old person, they are going to have to say yes, because what adolecent DOESN'T want to control the world?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I believe that one of the questions the USAF asks when interviewing for security clearance is "In the past 15-20 (not sure which) have you ever thought about taking control of the world?"

Now if you ask this to a 25 year old person, they are going to have to say yes, because what adolecent DOESN'T want to control the world?

Seriously? That seems like a ton of work, and I would never want it. I wouldn't even want to be president. Sure, there are some rewards that go along with it, but it's not worth the amount of work, service, and responsiblity that goes with the job.

Of course when I was abourd my ship my gaming group didn't play DnD. We played Cyberpunk 2020. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Better than our own military. At least you don't have to fake or admit being gay. :-

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"