Canada Parliament recognizes Quebecers as a nation

kumquatq3

Admittedly I'd prefer it if Cali somehow secceded and dropped the US's economy like a wet paper bag.

So Arnold Schwarzenegger would become...king, then?

I'm thinking "Chief"

Warchief?

He could also just strangle Grey Davis and rename the place Aquilifornia.

Nerd-cookie to anyone who got that.

they can leave but they have to leave behind all the parts that voted non in the last referendum. Meaning southern and northern quebec. They get the little landlocked nation that will be left over.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

:angry:

^I'm French Canadian(explains a lot, doesn't it?) and I found some comments here rather... insulting.

But since this is a gaming forum and no caricatures have been posted(Chretien doesn't count!) I'll let this go...

For a few months now, the conservatives have been very far behind in the polls in Quebec, with only 12% of possible votes.

The Conservatives are a minority government in Canada right now and elections are coming that will decide the fate of Stephen Harper's leadership. In order to win and become a majority government, he needs Quebec's voters on his side, or at least as many as possible.

So he makes a statement, organizes a vote that makes what everyone in the country already knew official, hoping to get some more votes when the time comes.

This is a strategy to seduce Quebec voters, nothing more.

Quebec doesn't have oil, no. We have water, a ressource that the US have been trying to grab for decades. We also use this water to provide a large group of Americans with electricity.

^_^

I'm curious, how do some of our Canadian members feel about Quebecs nationalist aspiriations? Quebec is the industrial heart of Canada and I wonder if they ever did break away how well the remainder of Canada would survive. Also is language really at the root of the issue?  I live in South Florida and there have been a number of attempts to make Spanish the official language for local governments particularly in Dade (Miami) County. I always point to the situation in Canada as an example of why this is a bad thing. When one group/region/political entity begins to divorce itself culturally from the whole, national identity will be inevitably lost and a schisim is only a matter of time.

It's a little different in Canada because the French heretige in Quebec predates the nation itself whereas the spanish influx in South Florida is a relatively recent thing historicly speaking.

Canada would survive and in many cases improve if Quebec seperated to be honest. Right now Quebec is a drain on Canadian funds that could go elsewhere or result in a nice tax break.

Dont take me for wanting Quebec to leave, just saying if they did Canada would not be that hard off as MOST if not all industries would vacate Quebec anyways and relocate to elsewhere in Canada. Make no mistake, these companies located in Quebec need Canada 10000000 times more then they need Quebec.

Im so tired of Quebec and sepretism though that if they truely want to leave, let them go. With no dollar value (as Canada would not be supporting them) and the immediate disolution of all their social programs (again canada no longer supporting them) Quebec would quickly become a 3rd world nation surrounded by two large nations (USA and Canada) that would have no interest in bailing them out financially unless they ready to join our countries for good.

Actually if Quebec left Canada could finally drop the stupid bilingualism as well. Its a waste of tax payers money and is a false front as French not used anywhere in large amount other then Quebec.

Also we (Canada) wouldnt lose that much land as natives own most of Quebec land and have no interest in seperating, so really only Montreal as a city would seperate and with no natural resources they would be in hard times fast.

Canada would survive and in many cases improve if Quebec seperated to be honest. Right now Quebec is a drain on Canadian funds that could go elsewhere or result in a nice tax break.

Dont take me for wanting Quebec to leave, just saying if they did Canada would not be that hard off as MOST if not all industries would vacate Quebec anyways and relocate to elsewhere in Canada. Make no mistake, these companies located in Quebec need Canada 10000000 times more then they need Quebec.

Im so tired of Quebec and sepretism though that if they truely want to leave, let them go. With no dollar value (as Canada would not be supporting them) and the immediate disolution of all their social programs (again canada no longer supporting them) Quebec would quickly become a 3rd world nation surrounded by two large nations (USA and Canada) that would have no interest in bailing them out financially unless they ready to join our countries for good.

Actually if Quebec left Canada could finally drop the stupid bilingualism as well. Its a waste of tax payers money and is a false front as French not used anywhere in large amount other then Quebec.

Also we (Canada) wouldnt lose that much land as natives own most of Quebec land and have no interest in seperating, so really only Montreal as a city would seperate and with no natural resources they would be in hard times fast.

Although it's lot more complicated then that, I completely agree.

I consider myself Canadian first, living in one of its provinces.

I get severely flamed on French-Canadian forums for saying this because a lot of Quebecers refer to Quebec as a country already, one of the reasons they want a voice in international debates.

This is ridiculous as Quebec is not a country.

If Quebec splits, first of all I'll be moving my family to Ottawa. Second, it will have two things going for it.

First, Quebec is the most taxed state in the world and it has been said numerous times that this would not change. Intead of paying taxes to both governments(provincial and federal) we'd pay the same amount of taxes to one new federal government, The other thing it has going for it is water, which is also used for producing electricity that is exported everywhere in North America. I've also heard there are large diamond mines in the north, but those have been "given" the the natives a few years ago by Admiral Ackbar.

I don't think Quebec's current situation is appropriate for splitting away from Canada and I honestly feel ashamed for living in a place that is a true burden for my country. I think it would be a great thing for Canada if Quebec splits, economically, but the implications of letting 7 million people fall in extreme poverty may prove problematic.

Maybe we need to start searching for our promised land? :lol:"

Actually, I believe Montreal is one of the more federalist areas. Quebec City is the separatist haven as far as I know. Though I don't live in Quebec so I may be wrong. Wipe that out and we're good. And while you're at it, get rid of Calgary. Who needs a city of 1 million that takes up the same land area as new york city. Especially when its full of poser cowboys... and the flames...

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

There is going to be an other civil war in the US someday....I'm gonna laugh my pants out when it starts... :wub::)

If you can stop laughing your pants out (?) for a minute you might also want to kiss your quiet stable life goodbye.

As for canananda, this is what you get for not having an identity beyond 'not being those damn americans', I guess.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

There is going to be an other civil war in the US someday....I'm gonna laugh my pants out when it starts... :):p

If you can stop laughing your pants out (?) for a minute you might also want to kiss your quiet stable life goodbye.

As for canananda, this is what you get for not having an identity beyond 'not being those damn americans', I guess.

Hey, most of Canada is united under the identity of "not being those damned Ontarians." :wub:

And while you're at it, get rid of Calgary. Who needs a city of 1 million that takes up the same land area as new york city. Especially when its full of poser cowboys... and the flames...

You aren't still sore about the Flames beating out the Canucks in '04 on the way to the finals are you? :wub:"

No, they deserved it. I even rooted for the flames for the rest of the playoffs.

I'm still sore about the bet I made with one of the cooks at work in '03 when the Flames beat the canucks and I was out a case of beer.

Also:

Canadians strongly reject Quebec nationhood

Seems everyone except francophones who live in quebec think its a dumb idea. Francophones outside quebec think its dumb, and anglophones inside quebec think its dumb.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg