UCLA student tasered by police.

Darth_Onivega

Nah, they wouldn't hit a library or resource center, but they might use it as a tool to gain knowledge/intelligence of a target or something else. Or use it as a cover so authorities can't track them so easily. Etc.

Not that this guy is a terrorist, but his poor attitude sure didn't help him any, and only cast him in a more suspicious light.

I suppose you are more likely to chose from a practical standpoint and apply yourself more if your parents had to put down 500.000 Se to pay for a top notch education. It's an elitist system that makes sure the children of the wealty remain in privelege, but it is effective.

Um, no.

Sure, if you have money falling out of your pockets it helps, but show me a situation where it doesn't.

If you can't afford to go to a good college they have scholarships, grants, and if all else fails massive student loans.

If you still can't get in to a good university despite these things, you can go to a community college, get decent grades there and get your foot in the door to a better school down the line. You can take care of your first two years of college there (general ed crap) and they're really cheap too.

If you don't have a higher education in 'Merikuh you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Whatever man. If you were to do that you'd have to apply a system similar to the one mkreku described to keep people from abusing the educational system/being a drain on it. I'd rather leave it the way it is and keep my band aid, they've been getting me by so far.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I suppose you are more likely to chose from a practical standpoint and apply yourself more if your parents had to put down 500.000 Se to pay for a top notch education. It's an elitist system that makes sure the children of the wealty remain in privelege, but it is effective.

What country are you talking about here?

In the US, children of the wealthy don't finish college, at least not as often as children of the middle class (percentage wise). I read that a few years ago, can't remember the source. Wealthy children actually have a pretty low graduation rate, but of course they don't really need the degree to live a life of luxury. Unfortunately folks below the poverty line are even worse off.

Nah, they wouldn't hit a library or resource center, but they might use it as a tool to gain knowledge/intelligence of a target or something else. Or use it as a cover so authorities can't track them so easily. Etc.

Not that this guy is a terrorist, but his poor attitude sure didn't help him any, and only cast him in a more suspicious light.

Heh. You can't cut them off from libraries, mate. You can't even deny them access to libraries when they're in jail and convicted! This is a simple case of some fool with a chip on his shoulder behaving like a half wit. He chose to do so when there was another half wit with taser present and BOOM, you have your incident.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Grants, loans and scholarships are a bandaid, not a viable alternative to gaining access through wealth, statistically and demographically speaking. I favor egalitarianism when it comes to education.

Egalitarianism for post-secondary education is overrated.

People are not entitled to University degrees, and allowing any Tom, ****, and Jane access to it means you have more people taking advantage of it, and not really learning anything.

My University (University of Alberta) actually concluded that students perform better in school, and ultimately get more out of it, when their own money in it. There's additional financial obligation to do well in school, since few people want to waste their own money. Letting people in to school that wouldn't value University enough to pay their own tuition either inflates class sizes, or eliminates the number of people that do actually want to be there (especially given the mark based nature of applications. It's very easy to get a kid that coasts his way to high marks in High School because High School is a joke, and then just goes to University because it's something to do).

I'm not sure how things are in the United States, but I still get people bitching and whining about tuition up here all the time. The thing I notice about many of these people, is that they also like to waste their money on stupid **** like going out to bars and plopping down over $100 a weekend on drinking. As for the 'bandaid' of scholarships, my school awards millions of dollars for it each year, and a large chunk of them are not even mark based, so it's not like you need to go in with straight A's to get them. THere's also student loans and bursaries that can be awarded, and are actually awarded based on financial need.

Hmm. Apparently the American university system has a few things going for it, since Europeans are beginning to immitate it... much to their own chagrin.

Winds of change rattle European universities

"German universities are trying to charge tuition. Paris schools are considering selection instead of open admission. Dutch colleges are pushing students to finish faster. Greece wants to lift a ban on private universities.

Change is rattling Europe's temples of learning.

Resistance remains fierce, driven by fears of the "Americanization" -- or commercialization -- of higher education... But economic realities are overpowering those who maintain that universities should impart universal knowledge, not pave the way to a job. Too many European graduates are getting welfare checks instead of paychecks.

So like, can we have a separate topic for university tuition fees?

Why? The thread is about UCLA. Sure it started out focused primarily on the tazer situation, but that is finished. It's now a discussion on the university system. Seems pretty natural to me. I don't know why we need to stick EXACTLY on topic in a WOT thread.

Also, I don't know where julianw got the impression that the US university system is failing.  The k-12 education system is failing, but the university system in the US is still incredibly strong.  People come from all over the world to attend US universities, public and private.

I know that higher education in US is still the best in the world. I was just joking on how strange it is that a guy trying to study at a library could get tasered. I think UCLA should taser all those students who skip classes and sit at home playing games all day to get them to go to the library more often. :mellow: