Crysis

metadigital

I hope a X1950Pro will handle this monster...somehow.  :'(

LOL no

No? Is there currently something better available from ATI than the X1950 Chip?

Read this, you jerk:

Isn't calling someone "jerk" merely over dissent of opinion considerably harsh?

Jeez.

Sumimasen?

estimated wait 11 minutes. no.

Doesn't matter, I'm still looking forward to this game regardless.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I hope a X1950Pro will handle this monster...somehow.  :'(

LOL no

No? Is there currently something better available from ATI than the X1950 Chip?

Read this, you jerk:

Here is a list of confirmed information...

* Crysis will run on both DX9 & DX10 as well as Windows XP and Windows Vista.

* A graphics card that supports Shader Model 2 or higher is required.

* CryEngine2 is estimated to scale back 2 years, and scale ahead 1.5 years.

* A single 7800GTX will run the game quite well on fairly high settings according to Crysis Art Director, Michael Khaimzon.

* Jack Mamais of Crytek said in an exclusive Crysis-Online interview that his X1900XT runs the game very well at reasonably high settings ( still unoptmized ).

* Crysis will dynamically utilize all processing threads available. Meaning quad-core processors will be supported.

From here.

It would be a pitty if only DX10/Vista owners could play it. A very expensive flop, to say at least.

IIRC the game will be available but severely gimped for DX9.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I just have to point this out:

CrysisGround.jpg

This is a snapshot from the new video of Crysis. At this particular scene the main character is crawling through some grass on top of a hill overlooking an enemy camp. It's the sniping scene just before he starts jumping around on the house roofs like an insane monkey. Anyhow, what surprised me was the low quality of the ground seen in the video when the main character is crawling. It's like two large triangles painted with some sort of blurry, green flowers. I don't know, but for some reason I thought Crysis would be far beyond that in terms of visual quality. Guess it's not as "next-gen" as I thought.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm not really sure what you were expecting though.

Better graphics! More polygons used for the ground. More polygons used as grass to cover the ground. Bump mapping, perhaps, for the ground textures? I don't know, just something that fools me into thinking it's ground, not just a few ugly textured polygons.

Everything else about Crysis looks so unbelievably good that such an apparent flaw in the picture becomes extra noticeable.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting though.

Better graphics! More polygons used for the ground. More polygons used as grass to cover the ground. Bump mapping, perhaps, for the ground textures? I don't know, just something that fools me into thinking it's ground, not just a few ugly textured polygons.

Everything else about Crysis looks so unbelievably good that such an apparent flaw in the picture becomes extra noticeable.

I'd imagine that while moving around, as in running, which it appears will be the case throughout a good bit of the game, the "flaw" in the ground will be much less noticeable.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

DX10 brings re-processing into the GPU, so (for one thing) the multiple drawing of trees / grass / Rome: Total War soldiers will be done using a template model that can be re-processed endlessly in the GPU, rather than starting from scratch every time (and draining CPU resources), so perhaps the scene would look better with a DX10 driver and GPU?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm skeptical about applications of the term "endlessly."

In context of the sentence: the Rome: Total War man / leaf / tree need only be drawn once, then that template is fed in as many times as necessary to create the myriad different types of said item; at the moment (in →DX9) each time the game engine wants to draw a little man, leaf or tree it must be drawn from scratch each and every time.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So how does DX10 independently animate each leaf/tree/little man, since they shouldn't always be doing the same animation. Or in the case of Rome: Total War, will there be much savings over the fact that the game engine refers to each individual entity of a unit in all of its combat mechanics (in other words, when your "unit" has 1 chevron of experience, it means it's the average of all your units. Each individual unit still collects experience on its own. You could have 10 guys with 8 experience each, leading that unit of 80 to have an average experience of 1).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I thought that what you're describing already existed in game engines, which is why aspects of foliage and whatnot are repeated on the screen. For instance, NWN2 toolset doesn't recommend a large variation of trees created with different random seeds (giving them a different look), as it gets too intensive. But having lots of the same tree is much less intensive.

The main reason why I was skeptical about the term "endlessly" is because endless implies infinite. And I'd be surprised if you tried to display an infinite number of little men/blades of grass/trees, and it didn't choke any video card.

Latest gamespot screens. Game looks fine to me

Yes.. but notice how they on both pictures are avoiding the close-up of ground textures!!1!

It's a conspiracy!!

Latest gamespot screens. Game looks fine to me

Yes.. but notice how they on both pictures are avoiding the close-up of ground textures!!1!

It's a conspiracy!!

Well now that you mention it, notice how there are no shadows for those small leaves sitting on top of the metal roof in the second pic? WTF I thought these were

My god, that armor plating looks marvelous.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

my god. those screenies make Farcry look like a child's crayon scribbling. I hope the gameplay is at least decent.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Um, Allan, I think you are missing my point entirely.

So how does DX10 independently animate each leaf/tree/little man, since they shouldn't always be doing the same animation.  Or in the case of Rome: Total War, will there be much savings over the fact that the game engine refers to each individual entity of a unit in all of its combat mechanics (in other words, when your "unit" has 1 chevron of experience, it means it's the average of all your units.  Each individual unit still collects experience on its own.  You could have 10 guys with 8 experience each, leading that unit of 80 to have an average experience of 1).

We're talking about each image, not the animations. Animations are a sequence of images. To make a screen image full of little (STATIC) men, leaves, trees, etc.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I thought that what you're describing already existed in game engines, which is why aspects of foliage and whatnot are repeated on the screen.  For instance, NWN2 toolset doesn't recommend a large variation of trees created with different random seeds (giving them a different look), as it gets too intensive.  But having lots of the same tree is much less intensive.

the way it is done in GPUs up to DX9 is to create little object one, then vertex shade and bump map it, then get next object.

With DX10, the same little object can be used and RE-used, so the initial figure doesn't have to be created each time.

The main reason why I was skeptical about the term "endlessly" is because endless implies infinite.  And I'd be surprised if you tried to display an infinite number of little men/blades of grass/trees, and it didn't choke any video card.

I was talking about re-using a starting image, rather than having to create it from scratch; this is nothing to do with animation (though I suppose it could be cached for the next cycle).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If the images aren't being animated, then what real purpose does it have? Because the leaves and little men in Rome: Total War are animated.

The idea of doing this for static images doesn't really strike me as new though. I thought stuff like this for grass had been done already?

Are 3D animations done with a bunch of static images? I'm not a graphics guy so I don't know. I know they are outputted in static images (hence the whole "frames per second" and whatnot), but is the animation itself created in static images?

I mean, I could see a tree, especially when operating somewhat dynamically thanks to the physics of wind blowing through it, rarely having the same image for two different leaves appear on the screen at the same time. It'd be a bit more likely in a game like Total War (except that they've gone with making people no longer look all the same, and having more distinct differences between soldiers in a single unit) where the attack animation is probably the same. Would you also get varying performance benefits with varying frame rates? With a higher frame rate, it's more likely that you'll get states where the same image will be drawn on the screen, but with a lower frame rate, it'll be less likely, simply because there is less opportunities for it to happen.