Sorceror vs. Wizard in NWN2

Sounds like you need some Mage in your life dogg.

Neg. More guns, less magic plz.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Guess what, didn't think of the drow possibility, if you can survive enough, then the armored drow mage is a deadly combination.  ;)

Guess what, I already went with the Armored Battle Drow Mage of the Underdark option. :D

Given that it has 2 additional build point (char & int) as well as the dex bonus which the moon elves have AND bling-bling spell resistance (something like 11+ lvl), it was a no brainier.

My original build was:

Str: 14

Dex: 14

Con: 14

Wis: 8

Int: 16

Cha: 16

But then I changed it to:

Str: 16

Dex: 10

Con: 12

Cha: 18

Do you think that I should have put at least 2 points for the added AC (since most armors allow at least 1 dex modifier)?

I've only been playing through the tutorial, so I don't mind having to rebuild if I have too.

Also: Reserved Guardian voice is back! (w00t)

manthing2.jpg

Guess what, didn't think of the drow possibility, if you can survive enough, then the armored drow mage is a deadly combination.  :)

Guess what, I already went with the Armored Battle Drow Mage of the Underdark option. :D

Given that it has 2 additional build point (char & int) as well as the dex bonus which the moon elves have AND bling-bling spell resistance (something like 11+ lvl), it was a no brainier.

My original build was:

Str: 14

Dex: 14

Con: 14

Cha: 16

But then I changed it to:

Str: 16

Dex: 10

Con: 12

Cha: 18

Do you think that I should have put at least 2 points for the added AC (since most armors allow at least 1 dex modifier)?

I've only been playing through the tutorial, so I don't mind having to rebuild if I have too.

Also: Reserved Guardian voice is back! (w00t)

don't have Cha 18, if you only have 16 you got some spare points, i suggest hightly a Con 14, and a dex 12 (so you can use the full plates dex)

IB1OsQq.png

I know a guy who doesn't mind canons on ships in a fantasy setting but doesn't want other blackpowder weapons around.

I say blackpowder is fine....arquebus, canons....they're all in the period that D&D is based on. I just think it should require an awful lot of feat and/or skill slots to use effectively....plus, they do misfire and are not incredibly accurate during that period.

Thing is, with d20 you could have players run around with Desert Eagles and it wouldnt make any damn differance. A magnum .44 round does about a D8 of damage so it would be the same as a longsword except you dont get to add your STR bonus to the damage. Theyre just as useless as bows and crossbows past level 5-6

Gunfights in games like Urban Arcana(D&D+d20 modern crossover) consists of the participants standing not 5m from eachother taking turns at shooting eachother at point blank range with the occasional:

-He throws a hand grenade at you at 23.

-I only have AC 17 so he hits

-Ok, it does *rolls dice* 29 damage with rephlex save for half.

-Alright *rolls dice* I save so I take 14 damage. Meh, Ive still got 43 hitpoints left.

In d20, melee is the king. Dont remember if melee-attacking an opponent with a gun causes an attack of opportunity though.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thing is, with d20 you could have players run around with Desert Eagles and it wouldnt make any damn differance. A magnum .44 round does about a D8 of damage so it would be the same as a longsword except you dont get to add your STR bonus to the damage. Theyre just as useless as bows and crossbows past level 5-6

Gunfights in games like Urban Arcana(D&D+d20 modern crossover) consists of the participants standing not 5m from eachother taking turns at shooting eachother at point blank range with the occasional:

-He throws a hand grenade at you at 23.

-I only have AC 17 so he hits

-Ok, it does *rolls dice* 29 damage with rephlex save for half.

-Alright *rolls dice* I save so I take 14 damage. Meh, Ive still got 43 hitpoints left.

In d20, melee is the king. Dont remember if melee-attacking an opponent with a gun causes an attack of opportunity though.

yeah, I see what you mean...they dumbed down ranged weapons for KOTOR but, fact is, d20 has never really properly accounted for the power ranged weapons have.

unless you have body armor (and, even then, you'll still be wanting to go to the hospital) on, if you get hit in the upper torso by a .45 at point-blank range, you are either A) dead or B) wishing you were....you're definitely not going to continue fighting.

"Feel the arcane power of my Magic Missile!!! Ooh, I've forgotten how to cast Magic Missile, I need to go lie down for eight hours..."

In case you didn't get it yet, DnD wizards are moronic.

Meh. There are many things dnd does unsatisfactorily. IMO WoW gets the dynamic of wizards (mages) and sorcerers (warlocks) much better than dnd. Wizards or mages harness and manipulate matter/energy. Their sort of discipline could be called white magick as it

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

it would seem to me that the DnD Wizard is patterned off the Tolkienesque wizard and, in practice, it is an archtype for those removed from society and yet wielding a great deal of power over society (i.e. medieval monks). Wizards do make good plot devices (i.e. the bufuddled old geezer like Fizban) as NPCs.

following this pattern, one should only rarely encounter a wizard and low level adventuring wizards would be almost unheard of. now, the dual-classed or multiclassed wizard makes a little more sense (in terms of being an adventurer) but the Sorcerer is the "adventuring wizard" that DnD very much needed. the "dabbler" now has more tricks in his hat to play with (at lower levels) but, because he is a dabbler, he will never master the art (which is good since he is an adventurer and not a famous city-dweller).