Boy Scouts Introduce Merit Badge For Not Pirating

metadigital

The_Slaughter writes

"The MPAA has recruited the boy scouts of America to do their dirty work. Scouts will now be able to learn a merit badge for anti-piracy related activities, including creating public service announcements urging others not to steal movies or music. No word yet on if that includes helping the MPAA file lawsuits against 80-year-old grandmothers."

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The boy scouts are a highly discriminatory group which no sane organization or government should align themselves to. That being said MPAA and the Boy Scouts should get along just fine.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It does need some reworking if you ask me but I don't know if any such changes in the law will garner changes in the actions of individuals. If a person wants to pirate software, music, video, and whatnot they will find a way. Media piracy has been around for a very long time and it will be around far far longer than anyone of us will be alive. As the means of communication and computation technology increases the harder it will be to stop piracy and enforce copyright laws.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I was thinking about the re-evaluation of "fair use", to something akin to the GNU Creative Commons.

After all, even at the moment the terms are pretty arbitrary: I can go to a shop or even my local gym and listen to a tv station blaring out music videos ... none of the artists are getting any direct reimbursement from me, merely indirectly through my gym membership, to the corporate cable tv subscription, to the cable tv channel's fee, from which the artist's production company can be paid. Oh, and they might give some to the artists, too. Maybe.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hmmm... Explain. I am not familiar with GNU Creative Commons.

clickie

The GNU General Public License is a Free Software license. Like any Free Software license, it grants to you the four following freedoms:

0. The freedom to run the program for any purpose.

1. The freedom to study how the program works and adapt it to your needs.

2. The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.

3. The freedom to improve the program and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits.

You may exercise the freedoms specified here provided that you comply with the express conditions of this license. The principal conditions are:

• deed.gif
    You must conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy distributed an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty and keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the Program. Any translation of the GNU General Public License must be accompanied by the GNU General Public License.

• deed.gif
    If you modify your copy or copies of the program or any portion of it, or develop a program based upon it, you may distribute the resulting work provided you do so under the GNU General Public License. Any translation of the GNU General Public License must be accompanied by the GNU General Public License.

• deed.gif
    If you copy or distribute the program, you must accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code or with a written offer, valid for at least three years, to furnish the complete corresponding machine-readable source code.

Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.

Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.

This is a human-readable summary of the Legal Code (the full GNU General Public License). A Portuguese translation is also available.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The boy scouts are a highly discriminatory group which no sane organization or government should align themselves to.

...?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Very interesting, Meta. Thank you for sharing. :-

The boy scouts are a highly discriminatory group which no sane organization or government should align themselves to.

...?

Hint: He was one.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It is peculiar to think they can get a badge for such stuff. Imagine what they could get for turning in gay boy scout leaders or illegal alliens or terrorists - oh my!

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

...?

They don't let girls in. There was a big brouhaha or however you spell it when some girls wanted to be boy scouts and they wouldn't let them in.

Kind of like how these girls up here sued the school board so they could try out for their high school boys hockey team. They won and were allowed to try out, and were the first ones cut.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hint: He was one.

I was never a boy scout, however I was in the cub scouts and was asked to continued in scouting, however I had other pursuits at the time that didn't coincide with the local scout master's idealogy.

It was back when Dungeons and Dragons was considered evil and of the devil by the conservative population.

It was back when Dungeons and Dragons was considered evil and of the devil by the conservative population.

Yesterday?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Good point, but it was closer when that Tom Hanks movie Mazes and Monsters was released.

Yes, and what is even sadder is that I know this and have seen that movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/

Edited by Sand

Yes, and people thought it was all true.

there are some extremly messed up badges... (motorboating, qualification one, get in the boat. Not kidding) and at least in my troop they almost FORCED you to push to reach different ranks.

I didn't fit in well because I was never one for moving up in the ranks. I got to first class got 0 merit badges and was able to do whatever the heck I wanted (there is a merit badge requirement for the next ranks)

I think we calculated that you could reach eagle scout by age 14 if you had no life other than scouting.

btw doesn't this belong in WOT?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If a subject has a tangent tagline such as this and goes on long enough, derailment from the intended subject is inevitable.

Yeah, especially when people make slightly absurd comments.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, especially when people make slightly absurd comments.

There are only absurd if they are false.