NwN2 Review

metadigital

Hmmm... That sounds like an interesting way of doing it. Sounds workable.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

posted by Desslock, 10-20-2006, 04:24 PM

That's said, and I don't really want to pre-empt my review, so I'll just say that I think it's the best game these guys have done since Planescape Torment - the story aspects, and use of the D&D system, are that good. Easily the best D&D game since BG2.

This is very encouraging, Desslock has been the daddy of RPG reviewers since the days of Fallout.

This just in - PC Gamer UK gave NWN2 90%

PC Gamer has reviewed NWN2 in their Dec issue, it scored 90%!

According to them:

It's-Traditional,Elaborate and Constructive

It's Not-Cliched,Overwhelming or Just for D&D fans

They seem truly impressed, with much Avellone worship

Edited by Big Bottom

Desslock is a fool. Some of his previous tidbits:

1. NWN will likely not be released, and if it does it will bomb. The only part he even got right is how it had a less than 10% chance of it being released (Atari).

2. NWN2 uses the KOTOR2 engine.

3. I am the best ever.

4. He believed that Oblivion was 'the best game evar'.

Desslock is the pits. The Codex CRUSHES him time, and time again. It's embarassing!

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Ignore that, it's BS. All you need is a card that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0.

- ATI Radeon X1900 series

- ATI Radeon X1800 series

- ATI Radeon X1600 series

- ATI Radeon X1300 series

- ATI Radeon X850 series

- ATI Radeon X800 series

- ATI Radeon X700 series

- ATI Radeon X600 series

- ATI Radeon X300 series

- ATI Radeon 9800 series

- ATI Radeon 9600 series

- ATI Radeon 9500 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

If only they'd gone back another thousand on their supported Radeon series cards.

Ah, well. I knew the day would come and it's finally here: the bare-bones minimum requirements for new games have officially outstripped my hardware.

Now it's up to either 1) hardware failure, or 2) the accumulation of enough of a back catalogue of "games I really want to play" to justify an otherwise unnecessary hardware upgrade. I've hereby been officially deprecated as a gamer. :D

Oh, and I like the sounds of the reviewers complaining that the dungeons might be "too long". Seems to me that the genre (story-heavy cRPGs, I mean, of the sort that Bioware and Black Isle typically produced -- the Oblivions of the world have always had enough of it for my tastes) has pretty much streamlined most of the adventure out of games which feature adventurers, and as someone who felt that the dungeons in PoR2 might, in places, have flirted with being "too large", this is a welcome little bit of criticism.

After The Sims 2 was released they assumed that everyone had the money tree and well, used that.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Needs 512mb 3D Card!! Oh s**t!

They must be on crack expecting a game to be played with a card like that? I didn't know gamers are loaded with money. :-

Even though i got my bases covered, that is a bit too steep. Probably a typo.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ignore that, it's BS. All you need is a card that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0.

- ATI Radeon X1900 series

- ATI Radeon X1800 series

- ATI Radeon X1600 series

- ATI Radeon X1300 series

- ATI Radeon X850 series

- ATI Radeon X800 series

- ATI Radeon X700 series

- ATI Radeon X600 series

- ATI Radeon X300 series

- ATI Radeon 9800 series

- ATI Radeon 9600 series

- ATI Radeon 9500 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series

- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 series

- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 series

My card is on the low end of the totem poll. :-

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Well, if new games don't satisfy graphics whores, then they complain, so it leaves the developers in an invidious position.

Still, I think it's safe to say you will eventually get a better graphics card. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

uhm.. I got a 7600gs and 2,4 ghz clocked to 2,8. When I run across the yard outside Castle Neverwinter in NWN with 1280X1024, it actually lags a little. I hope NWN2 won't require all that much more than NWN1. My flatscreen demands 1280X1024.. :-

512 is BS, why do we need to talk about it? :lol:

And yeah, Desslock just loves whatever big RPG that gets released. He loved old ones, he loves new ones (Oblivion, Dungeon Siege too, I think..), etc, etc.

But then, who listens to most reviewers?

Review makes me hopeful that I'll enjoy it, since I'm usually more focused on the SP game. I like editors, too, but if it's as complex as the Morrowind editor was (or moreso), too much work for me re: making whole levels and such, and I'd wait for the mod geniuses to make stuff. :D

And I like taking both "pro" reviews and user reviews into account. They're all subjective...getting as much input from as many sources is always good. Which is why I probably will wait a week before I buy the game. heh

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you don't mind my asking, Desslock, is it at all comparable to Obsidian's last game, KotOR II?

Because I thought KotOR II kicked major *** up until the part where they forgot to finish it.

McBain

Desslock

I think it's very similar, McBain, and gives an indication of how good that game could have been if they had more time. But NWN2 is also just a much bigger game - at least twice the size of KOTOR2.

The NPC/influence system is pulled right out of KOTOR2, but better handled this time (you're not stuck using characters you might not have developed, and there's reasons to take along all of the characters, while in KOTOR2 having an all-Jedi party was an obvious advantage). I think the more complex rules of D&D make the companion AI less self-sufficient, however - you really have to manually control these guys - so some of the technical issues drag it below KOTOR2 in some respects, but the story/dialogue stuff is very polished this time.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

you really have to manually control these guys

Excellent.

Indeed. That's another worry extinguished.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds