KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

Many jedi use force push in melee combat to get their opponent away from them.

I guess if they're not too close to you then you could force push your opponent away from you, but what if they get too close to you? Then what? I'd say goodbye to your arms and legs, if your opponent is a lightsaber wielding focker.

Watch Revenge of the Sith, Obi-Wan uses force push against Grevious when the two of them are fighting with sabers, later both Obi-Wan and Vader try to do the same trick on each other when they are within touching distance...Which leads me to ask quite how close you mean by too close?

I do agree that the current combat system is unrealistic, but then so is being able to take a direct hit from a blaster while wearing underware without dying or being seriously hurt.

/\

Right and thats why it's a game, and this entire argument is stupied. It can't be an RPG if you only have say 1 or 2 force powers, and die from each and every hit you take, i mean comeo n how many times do you get hit with a lightsaber and live, its just stupied, and thats the same reason it's just stupied to compare the movies to games.

The force helps me poop better, and use lightsabers to cut my food that then turns into poop.

Guest The Architect

Yeah yeah yeah just settle Nero. I guess the point is, I just don't like how you could spam force powers all the time in both KotOR games, because that is part of the problem why both games were ridicliously easy.

I know the differences between a CRPG and the SW movies thank you very much, but meh, I'd just like to battle other Jedi/Sith in K3 in a lightsaber duel without them or me spamming force powers in the middle of the duel.

They don't have to make it that you die in one hit because it's a game, but they could make the game harder, by not allowing the player to just spam powers like force crush, death field and master heal, which makes the game boring from a gameplay perspective IMO.

I wasn't disagreeing with you tech, I agree with alot you've said. I hope that do a more in depth thing with how light/darksiders get their powers. Lightside shouldn't be able to use force lighting, just as a darksider shouldn't be able to use heals, force valor and what have you. I agree with the saber duels, they need to focus on making more saber to saber fighting animations. I really didn't notice anything new from kotor 1 to 2. The movents and fighting animations were nearly the same. The flips were well a bit over the top. I guess with the advances in NPC AI since sith lords it could be possible. it's pretty strait forward fight, a range of attacks, well 3 crit, flurry, power... We need more, I want to see less focus on force powers, and more on strait up hardcore saber duels. I mean go get the guy who did the stunts for maul, suit him up into a full body motion capture, and get some new animation.

The force helps me poop better, and use lightsabers to cut my food that then turns into poop.

There should be a cooldown, like Architech said, you shouldnt just be able to constantly spam such things like force wave, force lightening and death field, because those powers are far too strong and used constantly it makes your character basically floorless.

There should be a cooldown, like Architech said, you shouldnt just be able to constantly spam such things like force wave, force lightening and death field, because those powers are far too strong and used constantly it makes your character basically floorless.

well, I agree that there should be a clear line of demarkation (at least as far as the system goes) as to when "melee" occurs in a Big Baddie lightsaber duel. You should NOT be able to Force Spam (Force Storm and that sort of thing) or Heal yourself if you are standing 3 feet away from a Big Bad.

(I also think Big Bad lightsaber duels should be so where using the right defense is very important and to have actual parry feats because, yes, in this kind of duel, a lightsaber blow kills or seriously incapacitates [for story reasons they might have it so where you are captured if you are incapacitated from a Bid Bad lightsaber duel]. Also, they might have it so where, if you incapacitate a Big Bad, the Light Side thing to do would be to restrain the person and take him to Coruscant for trial...the DS thing would be, obviously, to kill the person.)

however, I don't see it the same way when you are with your party encountering overwhelming numbers of mediocre troops and/or Force-wielders...force-spamming is an acceptable thing to do in those situations. But, to provide a bit of gameplay balance, maybe there should be a "Stamina Bar" in addition to Vitality and Force. If you are low on Stamina (i.e. too tired), then that could affect the saving throw of the target, even if you had plenty of force points.

I think adding Stamina and the need to rest would be an important game-balancing mechanic.

The stamina idea is a great idea, and keeping that in check could effect alot I mean if your to tired you Def is going to go down, and you won't be able to fend off the other jedi if your tired and slow.

Or say you spammed lighting, your fingers are numb, your body tired, and your head soon to be taken off.

LoL you know what would be kool, take something from fable, ( I can't wait till fable 2 comes out for 360 looks great, yeah the first game was short but still fun) Say you take a hit on the leg, arm, chin or something, you keep the scar, say you lose a arm or a leg, you have to get an cybernetic replacement, get hit with to much force lighting maybe one of your eyes go bad or you lose your hair.

Say you take a hit on the leg, arm, chin or something, you keep the scar, say you lose a arm or a leg, you have to get an cybernetic replacement, get hit with to much force lighting maybe one of your eyes go bad or you lose your hair.

...and by the end of the game you will look like an mixture of Kreia and Sion... :blink:

Bad thing, bad thing! ;)

I can't see having limbs lopped off being practical in an RPG game, if only because you'd need to use a wheelchair to move around in if you lost a leg during a fight and were not next to a hospital. Having it work as part of the plot could work-two chars have lost a hand or arm in KOTOR 2 after all and two more are technically blind-not as a result of normal fights, but because they were plot points to a greater or lesser degree. Which is to say they are things that you can talk about or affect gameplay to some extent.

Since the Starwars films, games etc are aimed at kids for the most part, LA would want to keep the ratings down. Dismemberment in fights might be realistic, but it would also raise the rating of the games.

Edited by Darth Mortis

dismemberment (caused by lightsaber) is not possible with Big Bad lightsaber duels for reasons already mentioned unless it is a scripted (i.e. cut scene) type event....maybe you walk in on a duel already in progress and somebody gets hit in that fashion.

still, I think a hit from a lightsaber in a Big Bad lightsaber duel should either kill the person or leave the person totally at the mercy of the other party (randomly determined).

essentially, we need the game to have 2 different types of combat mechanics:

* normal (your party against opposing troops).

* boss battles (mano e mano lightsaber duels).

boss battles need to have clear lines of demarkation as to when to buff up, when to Force spam, and when true "melee" occurs. if you are a consular, you might use feats that are purely defensive until you can break out of melee range and Force spam again....but it needs to make sense....and the Big Bad should be using an adaptive AI, not just cheat healing and the like.

while I agree that dismemberment is not a realistic thing to have in the game, I do think it would be interesting to have it so where everytime you get hit with a lightsaber blow (again, any such hit would be incapacitating) in a boss battle, that leaves you with an appearance-altering scar that characters actually comment on as the game progresses.

cortosis armor? fine, it will take the first hit and then start to break off......etc....it also slows you down.

im hoping that in kotor3 you can actually join the sith and rule them rather than killing them :)

you are pointing out the fact that the Dark Side path in these games is really just the path of a disgruntled ANTI HERO as opposed to an actual power-hungry villain.

I agree that these games could use a proper Dark Side path....but that effectively makes it 2 games instead of one.

still, it is worth pointing out that the DS path is little more than a joke so far.

hopefully, they will address this in some fashion or other.

I guess the point is, I just don't like how you could spam force powers all the time in both KotOR games, because that is part of the problem why both games were ridicliously easy.

It'd be nice if K3 was actually challenging... :wub: :ph34r:

And I'm a bit tired of being accused of blowing up planets in K2... it'd be nice to actually be able to blow some up :("

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

It'd be nice if K3 was actually challenging... :blink: :ph34r:

And I'm a bit tired of being accused of blowing up planets in K2... it'd be nice to actually be able to blow some up :wub:"

in addition to making the mechanics more "realistic" and introducing more opportunity costs, I think it would be great to have an "archrival" who is constantly trying to waylay you.

now, here is the thing: KOTOR had the 3 Sith adepts (2 different groups, I think) plus an encounter with Malak's apprentice plus Calo Nord chasing you.

but I'm talking about something different.....maybe you have a rival from way back in the PC's backstory....a rival Youngling who never did get a chance to finish his formal training (and, rightly or wrongly, blames you for that) and is not working for Jedi or Sith but is kinda freelancing it....and he doesn't always come at you with a full-on assault....he plays pranks...damages your ship when you are in port...maybe attacks a Republic ship while using your transponder codes, etc. He is trying to wreck your life in any way imaginable....towards the end of the game, he may end up working for whatever faction is on the other side, not because he is a true believer--just so he can get at you easier.

basically, a Calo Nord subplot on steroids.

in addition to making the mechanics more "realistic" and introducing more opportunity costs, I think it would be great to have an "archrival" who is constantly trying to waylay you.

now, here is the thing:  KOTOR had the 3 Sith adepts (2 different groups, I think) plus an encounter with Malak's apprentice plus Calo Nord chasing you.

but I'm talking about something different.....maybe you have a rival from way back in the PC's backstory....a rival Youngling who never did get a chance to finish his formal training (and, rightly or wrongly, blames you for that) and is not working for Jedi or Sith but is kinda freelancing it....and he doesn't always come at you with a full-on assault....he plays pranks...damages your ship when you are in port...maybe attacks a Republic ship while using your transponder codes, etc.  He is trying to wreck your life in any way imaginable....towards the end of the game, he may end up working for whatever faction is on the other side, not because he is a true believer--just so he can get at you easier.

basically, a Calo Nord subplot on steroids.

I rather like that idea, the back stories for the Revan and the Exile were all based in the Mandolorian war and, with the exception of Malak, you never really got the impression that any of what was going on was really personal. Imagine if you are trying to convince someone that your on their side, but this individual decides to hand them information that says otherwise. It would be a great way to mess around with plots to keep you on your toes, would be even better if this persons interferance was random everytime you play. Imagine playing the game and finishing a nice small quest without trouble the first time, then sitting back the second time thinking you know what to do. Then you discover that this guy/girl has turned up and now its not as simple. Maybe you have to switch to another group to compleate a quest, which would lead to problems if a LS player has to team up with an evil fraction, or a DS has to team up with a good fraction...

From the 'standard' Starwars point you could end up facing this person late in the game, having the option of killing them or not. You could also throw other problems into the mix. What if you needed something that they have-be it information or a weapon? Maybe their the only one who has a pass-code to a door you need to get though in an area? Would they be willing to help you or would they just be pretending to help you? Again, if this varied every time you played you could never be sure...

Another thing I wouldn't mind, I think it's be said before but what ever, taking something from fable, starting out as a child a youngling of the jedi temple, passing the test and becoming some ones apprentice, and so on, your mission is given, you take your path become a sith do your thing, find revan and the exile or atleast what happend to them. SO on and So on, I wish you had more interaction with things around you such as in fable you being able to say kick a chicken or kill a random person. yes it could get you killed city guards what have you but it being possible... oh did I say i can't wait for fable 2... the trailer looks amazing.

It would be a great way to mess around with plots to keep you on your toes, would be even better if this persons interferance was random everytime you play. Imagine playing the game and finishing a nice small quest without trouble the first time, then sitting back the second time thinking you know what to do. Then you discover that this guy/girl has turned up and now its not as simple....

absolutely, it would be sweet if this person did not always appear on subsequent playthroughs and, when he does appear, he appears at different segments of the game and uses different tricks each time....that, along with joinable factions would make for a really sweet game....talk about REPLAYABILITY!

If we have our own JM who we study off of, I wonder if we'd be able to customize him/her as well. If so, hel-loooooo hawt Twi'lek. Aayla-who?

:lol::thumbsup::*

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

dismemberment (caused by lightsaber) is not possible with Big Bad lightsaber duels for reasons already mentioned unless it is a scripted (i.e. cut scene) type event....maybe you walk in on a duel already in progress and somebody gets hit in that fashion.

still, I think a hit from a lightsaber in a Big Bad lightsaber duel should either kill the person or leave the person totally at the mercy of the other party (randomly determined).

essentially, we need the game to have 2 different types of combat mechanics:

* normal (your party against opposing troops).

* boss battles (mano e mano lightsaber duels).

boss battles need to have clear lines of demarkation as to when to buff up, when to Force spam, and when true "melee" occurs.  if you are a consular, you might use feats that are purely defensive until you can break out of melee range and Force spam again....but it needs to make sense....and the Big Bad should be using an adaptive AI, not just cheat healing and the like.

while I agree that dismemberment is not a realistic thing to have in the game, I do think it would be interesting to have it so where everytime you get hit with a lightsaber blow (again, any such hit would be incapacitating) in a boss battle, that leaves you with an appearance-altering scar that characters actually comment on as the game progresses.

cortosis armor?  fine, it will take the first hit and then start to break off......etc....it also slows you down.

What I think about this issue is this. You can have the ability to stack the moves, but if you choose not to fight a lightsaber duelist who's swinging his saber at you, you die or lose half your health. As previously said, lightsaber blows are devastating. There could be a cut scene where you lose a limb or something and then the game asks you if you want to restart the battle or continue, and if you lost a leg and continued, you'd most likely lose. If you lost and arm and fought with one arm and won, you could go the skywalker way and get a new one. Anakin said the cyber arm hurt, so you should permanently lose some of your abilities, but gain others like a cyber fighting feat similar to upgrading droids.

I think that you should have the ability to completely destroy someone who can't possibly be as good as you are. Like say you come through the game, and you're almost done, then a random relatively untrained Jedi fights you. You should be faster, more experienced, and he should be no match, and should be defeated easily. I don't know maybe the game could slow down a bit like the matrix and you attack them in a flurry of moves that they couldn't possibly counter.

The lightsaber forms should have everything to do with winning boss battles. If you use Makashi against a blaster boss, you will lose because Makashi is a lightsaber dueling form. As if you fight a boss with a lightsaber with a blaster bolt blocking form, then you will also lose