Plane crashes into building?

Blarghagh

Aircraft crashes into Manhattan high-rise

EW YORK (CNN) -- An aircraft has crashed into the middle of a brick luxury high-rise residential building on Manhattan's Upper East Side at 72nd Street and York Avenue, police officials said.

The building is very close to the East River. There was no word on casualties as firefighters battled the flames that shot up from several windows in the middle of the building. The Federal Aviation Administration has said a "general aviation" aircraft had hit the building.

A North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) spokesperson, which monitors air traffic, told CNN that it had not been tracking the aircraft.

Witness Sarah Steiner told CNN that fires were burning on the ground. "It looks like the plane just flew into someone's living room there." (Watch the orange flames ravage the apartment -- 1:50)

"It looks as if the aircraft didn't go into the building but fell down," she said. "It may be part of the debris burning on the ground."

Steiner said that when she arrived, she saw fire shooting out of two windows on the 30th floor of the 50-story building.

Video from the scene shows at least three apartments in the high-rise fully engulfed in flames.

That's all I know about it. :-

Edited by Deraldin

Slightly more information

(CBS/AP) A small aircraft crashed into a high-rise condominium on Manhattan's Upper East Side Wednesday, touching off a raging fire that sent a pillar of black smoke over the city, police said.

The building is on 72nd Street and York Avenue. There's no word yet on any deaths or injuries.

FBI spokeswoman Christine Monaco said there was no indication the crash was a terrorist attack.

CBS News reports the aircraft is a fixed-wing aircraft, not a helicopter. The time recorded for the crash was 2:45pm.

The aircraft was not required to be in contact because it was flying under VFR (visual flight rules), reports CBS News.

The Federal Aviation Administration only confirms that a "small plane" crashed into a 22-story apartment building on East 72nd Street. They have not confirmed reports that it was a helicopter, reports CBS News correspondent Bob Orr. The crash site is near a heliport.

A federal official tells CBS News that fighter jets have been scrambled to protect New York and Boston airspace.

Video showed flames shooting from windows on two upper floors of The Belaire, a 50-story tower on East 72nd Street, close to the East River. Burning debris fell on the streets below as firefighters shot water streams at the flames from lower floors.

Witnesses said the crash caused a loud noise, and burning and falling debris was seen. Flames were seen shooting out of the windows.

The tower was built in the late 1980s and is situated near Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

At least 2 die as small plane hits NYC building

At least 2 die as small plane hits NYC building

Last Updated: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 | 3:28 PM ET

CBC News

A small airplane crashed into an apartment building in New York City on Wednesday afternoon, but officials said there was nothing yet to indicate the crash was related to terrorism.

At least two people were confirmed killed, according to police.

As a precaution, NORAD deployed fighter jets over some U.S. cities, CNN reported.

U.S. President George W. Bush was made aware of the crash. White House officials said all indications were that this crash was an accident, but they weren't ruling out any possibilities.

The aircraft crashed into the 20th floor of the 50-storey building located at East 72nd Street and York Avenue, near the East River, CNN reported.

Earlier, flames and black smoke were seen billowing out of four windows located on two floors of the building. But the fire appeared to be out.

The tower was built in the late 1980s and is located near Sotheby's Auction House. It has 183 apartments, many of which sell for more than $1 million.

Rob Miranda, who witnessed the crash, told CBC News that the aircraft was probably a single-engine plane.

"It seemed like the plane was out of control. It just didn't sound right. It wasn't going in a straight line," he said.

Looks like 2 dead according to CBC. :-

Well, too bad for them, but good thing it's not a new crisis. Just some poor sod flying in the mist and smog.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It was a disgruntled Yankees pitcher.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I doubt it was a suicide as the pilot issued a mayday.

The airplane rapidly lost altitude, which suggests an engine stall. The strange thing is that this plane comes equipped with a parachute for the *entire* plane. The pilot merely has to reach up and pull a lever to deploy it.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I doubt it was a suicide as the pilot issued a mayday.

Yea, I mean he had a high ERA, but no reason to think the kid would off himself.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.