North Korea

LostStraw

Also from wiki about South Africas abandonment of nuclear weapons-

"With the anticipated changeover to a majority-elected government in the 1990s, the South African government dismantled all of its nuclear weapons, making it the only nation in the world which voluntarily gave up nuclear arms which it had itself developed.

The country has been a signatory of the Biological Weapons Convention since 1975, the Chemical Weapons Convention since 1995, and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty since 1991."

So it seems that the move was really done to keep the weapons out of the hands of the black majority government. More of a scuttling move than a real voluntary giving up of the weapons. They just wanted to deny the capability to the blacks.

Ain't history illuminating?!

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

US, Russia, India, Pakistan, China, France, UK and Germany are, I believe, the nuclear powers of the world right now. With NK theres nine total.

It should be pointed out that once a country has nukes, it will never give them up via diplomacy.

As I remember, some of the smaller nations that broke off of the Soviet Union have limited nuclear capabilities too.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

For many years I have found it funny that some countries has nukes but goes insane when other get them as well...

Yes Yes I know that some leaders are evil sith lords...

I actually finds it funny because now a relatively small contry as north korea has the power to negotiate on fair terms! :)

US, Russia, India, Pakistan, China, France, UK and Germany are, I believe, the nuclear powers of the world right now. With NK theres nine total.

It should be pointed out that once a country has nukes, it will never give them up via diplomacy.

Didn't South Africa have nukes and give them up? I think they did. So it is possible.

That example notwithstanding I agree that it is unlikely that a country will give up military capabilities. But they might let them decay if there is no perceived need for them and they are costly to maintain.

but were they diplomatically pressured into giving up their nuclear capability or did they just do it because they were cool?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

For many years I have found it funny that some countries has nukes but goes insane when other get them as well...

Yes Yes I know that some leaders are evil sith lords...

I actually finds it funny because now a relatively small contry as north korea has the power to negotiate on fair terms!  :ermm:

Nah, I predict that North Corea will be bent over and reamed hard; already this morning China has said it will back sanctions against them.

The UN needs to show that it isn't a toothless tiger, and the Japan has made up with China, and the US, South Corea and Japan and even China are all talking the same talk, even Russia is making angry noises!

It's actually helped stabilize the area, in effect: my enemies enemy is my friend ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The man's as mad as a spoon! He needs a comb, and Queer eye for the crazed dictator long before he starts trying to hit the world stage.

And yes, North Korea's hilarious until the old man really loses it and decides to nuke the Kuriles.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think eating grass for lunch is hilarious. :thumbsup:)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, you don't exactly eat the thing, if you catch my drift. And I think you don't, old codger

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Hey, I can cook!

kirottu said:

As a student I spent an entire doing nothing but learning to cook the cheapest curry and soups possible. I discovered you can make a curry for three people cost less than a pound and be delicious. Of course that was a while ago. :">

In korea they would understand this as they are mired in the 1960s and eating beetles most years.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

As a student I spent an entire doing nothing but learning to cook the cheapest curry and soups possible. I discovered you can make a curry for three people cost less than a pound and be delicious. Of course that was a while ago.  :">

In korea they would understand this as they are mired in the 1960s and eating beetles most years.

I read somewhere that the effects of malnutrition on the development of NK children has been very significant.

What a disaster!

I don't think that asset freezes and nukes and embargos and such stuff will help much. :lol:

Edited by Colrom

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

According to CNN, the nuke didn't quite work. It was purported to be a 4 kiloton payload. The evidence since the test seems to indicate around a half kiloton of ordinance. Hell, a lot of the early Manhattan Project tests fizzled, and we were better off than these guys /:|

They apparently just popped off another one...possibly.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No, that was me.

I always get those seismic sensors a buzzin'

You won't think it's so funny when we invade you :unsure:

And on that nuclear powers list, you forgot Israel.

No, that was me.

I always get those seismic sensors a buzzin'

You won't think it's so funny when we invade you :unsure:

....Colorado is going to invade Illinois? Bring it, hippies.

Israel hasn't formally annouced having nuclear weapons, I don't believe

Swap Isreal for Germany. My local Paper did a huge spread about it (this is the Sacramento Bee) and said that there are five countries in the poliferation treaty:

US, France, UK, China, and russia.

Three other countries are KNOWN to have nukes:

Isreal (who is militarily something of a puppet for the US in that they get 90% of their equipment from us)

Pakistan

India

then it put NK in the "possibly" catagory that only contained NK

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.