Delayed Again!

Artist formerly known as "Mistress".  :thumbsup:

OT, but what happened to The Lair?

Save taking this thread off the rails completely, you can find the answers here. :thumbsup:

Who are you???

The Former Global Moderator Mistress. :("

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

"They'll probably do it the Piranha Bytes' way: release a demo after the game has been released."

Meh. They'd be doing it the same way it was done with NWN.

"In Piranha Bytes case I can understand it (small team, not enough time), but for Obsidian..? It just feels so illogical to release the demo after the game. Isn't a demo supposed to make you interested in a not-yet-released game? Also, a demo is a good indication if your computer can handle the game in question."

Nah. A demo is simply a way to see if you like a game before playing it. It shouldn't matter if the demo is released before or after the game is released. In fact, it's more intelligent if a company releases a demo after the actual game is released business wise.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Haven't quite a few demos been released after the actual game release, or am I going a bit mad? For some reason I seem to remember that the BG2 demo came after the game - but I might well be wrong...I don't generally pay a great deal of attention to demo releases.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

In fact, it's more intelligent if a company releases a demo after the actual game is released business wise.

Why is that? A demo could get people to buy a game they are hesitant to buy without trying first. There have been numerous games I wouldn't have bought if if hadn't been for a demo, ones that I never thought of getting but figured I'd try the demo anyway.

They only way I see it as bad for business releasing a demo beforehand is if the game is poo.

Haven't quite a few demos been released after the actual game release, or am I going a bit mad?

Yeah, I don't think it's that uncommon.

They'll probably do it the Piranha Bytes' way: release a demo after the game has been released.

In Piranha Bytes case I can understand it (small team, not enough time), but for Obsidian..? It just feels so illogical to release the demo after the game. Isn't a demo supposed to make you interested in a not-yet-released game? Also, a demo is a good indication if your computer can handle the game in question.

Sure. I'm curious why this doesn't work if the demo was released after the intended release date though?

I hope things are going ok for Obsidian.  Or maybe this could be a good thing that they got more time to polish things up.

I have a bad feeling, clouds gather like by BI and Troika... hope its not true. :ph34r:

Just how this is somehow a bad thingie? I got bit delayed. Big freaking deal.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Artist formerly known as "Mistress".  :thumbsup:

OT, but what happened to The Lair?

Save taking this thread off the rails completely, you can find the answers here. :thumbsup:

Who are you???

The Former Global Moderator Mistress. :-"

I don't remember that name :huh:

Sure.  I'm curious why this doesn't work if the demo was released after the intended release date though?

It still works. But I'm curious why they're not using the hype surrounding the game before the release to gain attention for the demo. After a game is released, I seldom bother to download demos. I just read reviews instead.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sure.  I'm curious why this doesn't work if the demo was released after the intended release date though?

It still works. But I'm curious why they're not using the hype surrounding the game before the release to gain attention for the demo. After a game is released, I seldom bother to download demos. I just read reviews instead.

Why not? It's effectively still the same thing, in terms of trying out the game and seeing how it runs.

I don't typically play demos to build up the hype for a game for me, but rather to see what the game is like. I still feel it's a much better assessment of the game than a review.

As for why they wouldn't do it to help build the hype with a prerelease demo, maybe they'd rather have their team working on the final product since they already had a minor delay recently, and are likely in a huge crunch. Taking people off the project to work on a demo is probably low priority.

Edited by alanschu

Never trust a reviewer; only your own experiences.

Having said that I barely buy any games before having played a demo (B&W and Oblivion made sure of that) exception line GTA...

From my experience most demo's are shipped AFTER the final game is done; to lure in any doubters (scaring off the real-sure-buyers is a risk of pre-game-demo's)...

And Demo's can give some great insights and make you buy games I would otherwise would never have bought (Majesty, Deus Ex, GTA (1), Dungeon Siege, Freelancer, Painkiller etc. etc. etc.)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee