What's next for Obsidian?

GuardianLegend

After NWN2 is released, what game will Obsidian work on next?

My request... Transformers! Hasbro controls Atari, apparently, and Hasbro has the rights to the Transformers stuff. The upcoming Michael Bay movie is the talk of the town on all the movie websites these days (although much of the buzz has been negative, thanks to the robot designs). I think Transformers has a huge global fanbase, and I've read that a huge percentage of the world's population has played with a Transformer at least once. So there's a lot of potential money to be made here, I think. And surely there are some Transformers fans working in the corridors of power at Obsidian HQ, yes? So the idea is that the Transformers game comes out around the time the movie comes out, which comes out alongside a new toy line... and money pours from the heavens into Obsidian's coffers!

I think it would be great if Obsidian approached Atari, wanting to make a Transformers RPG using the NWN2 engine and Toolset. Basically the game would remain mostly the same but with the graphics switched over to the Transformers universe, and a far simpler combat/roleplaying system.

And of course, as a Generation 1 Transformers fan (the 1980s cartoon), I'd want the game to have some G1 designs :)

I don't see it working. Transformers is likely to get mangled at the cinema, and the series itself doesn't seem to be in the BIS/Obsidian style.

It's also not clear if the NWN2 engine would be able to handle the outlandish models a Transformers game would require. Think of the vertices!

IBL!

There are several things wrong with this idea. First of all, Activision has the rights to do Transformers games. 2nd of all, Hasbro has nothing to do with Atari other than Infogrames buying Hasbro Interactive a few years back. 3rd of all, a Transformers RPG would suck royal ass. Especially with the NWN 2 engine.

A TF RPG would have serious limitations on character appearance, as the Robot mode should reflect the Alt-Mode meaning each alt mode in the game would likely only have one robot mode, because it would be a LOT of work to have multiple robot modes for the same alt-mode because they all have to be able to transform into the same vehicle. So likely what you would get would be a choice of 3-5 alt-modes, then color choices. Which just wouldn't give the TFs justice.

I just think Transformers is more suited to the action adventure genre where its more acceptible to play as pre-determined characters.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"It's also not clear if the NWN2 engine would be able to handle the outlandish models a Transformers game would require. Think of the vertices!"

Of course it can. An engine is capable of handling most anything the devs are willing to have it.

I mean the Aurora was supposedly 'unable' to do the following: visible cloaks, flowing robes, mountable horses in combat, multiple henchmen, and so on so forth yet does shows a lot.

And, since NWN2 is Aurora except with a new graphics engine and updated; I'm sure NWN2's engine can do whatever Obsidian wants it to do. It's only a matter if they want to do it, and how much time, effort, and money they're wilkling (and able) to put in it.

As for Transformers games. I'll pass. Transformers has always been royally overrated.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Another Vampire game! (w00t)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I believe they're hard at work learning the Unreal Engine 3. Unfortunately for us, they'll more than likely be working on a console exclusive now, but after that.. maybe they'll do another PC game.

A Transformers game is probably out of the question..

But a Masters of the Universe-RPG is not! :))

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I believe they're hard at work learning the Unreal Engine 3. Unfortunately for us, they'll more than likely be working on a console exclusive now, but after that.. maybe they'll do another PC game.

A Transformers game is probably out of the question..

But a Masters of the Universe-RPG is not! :))

Only if it features Dolph Lundgren's likeness.

This idea is poopsaucenz8.gif

I mean honestly, a transformers RPG?  Bleh.

Not as far fetch as you might think. Back in the day Transformers toys came with statistics of the Transformer's strengths and weaknesses. based on those statistics an old friend of mine made a PnP transformers game off those and borrowed material from Palladium's Robotech RPG.

Harvey

Transformers RPG

Could I have kidneys lacerated instead?

ohohoh I know! Godzilla crpg! No wait. GI Joe crpg! Bugs Bunny/road Runner crpg! Totally awesome! Cartoon and toy crpgs for everyone!!1!1!

*dies*

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

:blink:

I have no interest in role playing a toy.

And if I did it would undoubtedly be something cool. Like a slinky.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yes, I'm sorry CrashGirl, I meant to type: I'm not sure what personal insecurities compels you to think pointing out how childish you feel Transformers are on a forum which has spent most of its life about Star Wars and soon will aspire to be about Dungeons and the Dragons that live in them is a good method of self-communication (or how your expressing this insight in such a way fails to make you feel like you're not a colossal tool), but your comments are asinine and abusively critical.

Edited by Nartwak

Transformers RPG

Could I have kidneys lacerated instead?

ohohoh I know! Godzilla crpg! No wait. GI Joe crpg! Bugs Bunny/road Runner crpg! Totally awesome! Cartoon and toy crpgs for everyone!!1!1!

*dies*

megatron.jpg

Megatron is not impressed.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg