The Top 100 Games of the 21st Century

Volourn

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...=1&limitstart=0

An interesting list with a variety of games. Probably not the most accurate in terms of sales (seems all the game got lowballed in terms of sales). It is also US based as well so that lowers # of sales too.

BIS had one game in IWD on it. I wonder if the FOs or PST would have made the cut in the 90s....

BIO had BG, KOTOR, and NWN in that order. BG1 didn't make the cut, I presume, because it was released in the 90s....

There's a console list too, and one of the best games ever in MVP Baseball 2005 also made the list!!

WOO HOO!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN sure made ALOT of money for Bioware.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

wow... according to that, KOTOR2 only sold 190,000 copies compared to KOTOR1's 470,000

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

wow... according to that, KOTOR2 only sold 190,000 copies compared to KOTOR1's 470,000

I'm guessing quite a few folks who bought the original were expecting a more standard action SW game. That's the appeal of using an extablished brand, you can capture an uninformed audience. The sequel wasn't able to do the same, because the cat was out of the bag. Still, near 200,000 copies sold for an RPG is excellent.

Just in the U.S.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually, I'm quite confused at the numbers.

I thought they were rather small.

Now Valve has stated that Half-Life 2 has sold over 4 million copies.

Yet that link has Half-Life 2 selling a mere 680,000 copies, with an obscure 1.5 million in "franchise sales."

And it seems EA was Celebrating the success of Sims 2, when it sold 4.5 million units in 5 months. Yet I don't even think it made this list.

In that list, only 7 games have sold more than a million copies on the PC in the last 6 years. Doesn't World of Warcraft have over 4 million subscriptions? Yet it's only sold 1.4 million units?

EDIT: Seems as though that link indicates the Sims selling 16 million copies.

Edited by alanschu

Remmeber, all the games on the list sold more than that. It only counts the US market, and they all seem lowballed.

Afterall, BIO claims that NWN/BG2/KOTOR all sold in the neighbourhood of 3 mil copies. Oblivion has sold approx. 1.7 mil - 3 mil copies depending on who you ask as well.

"Hmmm... No Jade Empire in top 100 of console games."

Not surprising. It sold well; just not top 100 well.

"I'm guessing quite a few folks who bought the original were expecting a more standard action SW game. That's the appeal of using an extablished brand, you can capture an uninformed audience. The sequel wasn't able to do the same, because the cat was out of the bag. Still, near 200,000 copies sold for an RPG is excellent."

Plus, KOTOR2 got some bad press after release which likely hurt long term sales while folks were slobbering over KOTOR1 which helped its long term sales. Also, BIO likely has a larger fanbase than Obsidian who took a fit because BIO didn't make KOTOR2. On top of that, outside of some exemptions, sequels usually don't outsell the originals unless the original was a surprise hit. This is because no matter how good (or how bad) a game a number of people who buy a game will end up disliking it and will not buy the sequel no mater. I'm sure KOTOR had its sahre of buyers (albeit a minoirty) who fall under that category.

:blink:

Edited by Volourn

"Hmmm... No Jade Empire in top 100 of console games."

Not surprising. It sold well; just not top 100 well.

:blink:

why not just give it up vol? for a console title je were a mediocre seller at best. for a console title that got TV commercials it were clearly a disappointment by any reasonable measure. you thinks that josh sawyer were lying to you when he gave you a industry insider perspective on je sales?

please note that in that recent codex thread even Gaider didn't try to claim that je had great sales, and he didn't even claim that it met expectations. Gaider pointed out that the game met bio goals not necessarily related to sales numbers (*chuckle*) and he pretty much BSd his way 'round the sales issue, but he didn't try to concvince Gromnir that sales were good... so why does you try so hard?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"you thinks that josh sawyer were lying to you when he gave you a industry insider perspective on je sales?"

The only 'industry insiders' whose opinions matter are those in the know - Bioware, & MS espicially MS since they're the publisher. They seemed more than satisifed with JE's performance.

"Even Lego Star Wars from a nobody-company sold around 2 million units I think."

Two words - Star Wars.

"Last time I checked, it was something over 600k units...."

600k+ units, and that was about 6 months ago, is nothing to sneeze at. No one claimed it was a blockbuster hit.

Edited by Volourn

Please don't, you're just going to get Volourn started again.

vol may simply be following bio's lead on this issue. they refuse to admit that je failed to meet sales expectations and they comes up with ridiculous excuses likes how the game were okie dokie for a new IP. such silliness is understandable but frustrating... is frustrating 'cause we don't know if bio is swallowing their own pap. sure, maybe bio is fully aware that je failed to meet expectaions and they is just putting on a happy Kanadian face...

then again, maybe bio has successfully deluded selves... maybe they thinks je were a wonderful success story, in which case it becomes more difficult for them to accept criticism, 'cause we all know that if something ain't broke...

we don't blame vol. he were always kinda wacky and once he seizes on a notion he won't give up on it for nothing... is like vis that way. we blame bio for convincing the easily manipulated vol into buying into the je success fantasy.

HA! Good Fun!

"The only 'industry insiders' whose opinions matter are those in the know - Bioware, & MS espicially MS since they're the publisher. They seemed more than satisifed with JE's performance."

for chrissakes vol...

*sigh*

if you want a relatively objective evaluation o' a person's or team's or company's performance does you simply accept the person's/team's/company's self-evaluation?

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"we don't blame vol. he were always kinda wacky and once he seizes on a notion he won't give up on it for nothing... is like vis that"

Pot. Kettle. Black.

actually, even the aforementioned Gaider has noted that Gromnir has conceded more than a couple of points over the years. am willing to change pov if somebody gots better data and better theories.

vol is just... wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm pleased to see RTC2 so high up on that list. It's also interesting to see a list based on something other than one reviewers opinion.

The Sims as #1...not surprised...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Grom: "I'm able to change my pov, and as evidence I have changed my opinion a couple of times over the years." LOL What an open mind you have, Grom!!!

P.S. I, too, have changed my mind on multiple topics. Most definitely more than a 'couple'.

R00fles!

"if you want a relatively objective evaluation o' a person's or team's or company's performance does you simply accept the person's/team's/company's self-evaluation?"

Mr. Sawyer is far from unbiased.

And, MS would likely have no problem that JE bombed (like you claim), and was a failure. Afterall, as publisher they could claim they did a good job and place the blame on BIO.

L0LLERGAGS!!!

Edited by Volourn

getting silly.

what is josh's interest? how does he benefit if je sold better than he suggested?

also, while Gromnir has never claimed that je bombed, microsoft obviously already has for all practical purposes announced that je sales were underwhelming, or they woulda' pushed to gets a sequel or expansion released.

'course we has no idea what you could mean 'bout microsoft blaming bio. microsoft were simply the publisher. their mistake, if they made one, were agreeing to be publishing the game in the first place. heck, bio screwed themselves on this one as they is far less likely to gets freedom from publishers in future... publishers will wanna be more meddlesome 'cause bio games is no longer viewed as relatively sure commodities.

and yeah, Gromnir is willing to have reasonable discourse far more than is vol. vol simply locks legs like an old mule and refuses to budge come hell or highwater. we can see how form your perspective Gromnir actions might seem similar, but we is atleast willing to discuss rational and reasonable, whereas vis and vol is completely impervious to any sorta evidence or facts that might makes a vol belief less tenable.

vol will believe what he wishes to believe... regardless of any evidence to contrary. the mindlessness he wields like a weapon is just one reason the biowarians temporarily banned him.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir