2x1GB PC2-6400 OCZ RAM

XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB

or

Dell XPS M1710 Gaming Notebook

Core Duo 2 T7600

100GB HDD 7200 RPM

2x1GB PC2-5400

GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512MB

The struggle is the portability aspect. I am really enjoying the flexibility of the mobility of a notebook - question is how much of a hit in performance do you think I am looking at? Any thoughts or insights would be helpful as I wrestle with this decision.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

BOTH!

er, barring that, i always prefer desktops over laptops when gaming. that's just me, however. i'm curious why you aren't considering core-2 duo for the desktop version? personally, i am going with an x2 4800+ shortly, but only because i already have a socket 939 mobo and don't feel like completely overhauling an otherwise good system. if i were not so constrained, it would be core-2 all the way.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The problem is that the Core Duo 2 SFF from Shuttle is not currently readily available - I am looking at it however.

I'd also add taks, that I am considering the AMD route is on account that the format will take the AM3 core - longer upgrade route.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

I'd also add taks, that I am considering the AMD route is on account that the format will take the AM3 core - longer upgrade route.

true. they're shoehorning the quad processor into that chip, too, as i recall. unfortunately, the single core of the AMD is not nearly as powerful as the single core of the duo. disappointing is the fact that AMD does not seem to have an improvement to the FX on the horizon other than multi-core. the multi-core thing does not benefit any apps that aren't specifically written for threaded processing (which covers most applications, btw). it will allow running multiple programs simultaneously with little performance hit (other than memory/cache conflicts), but that isn't much of an interest when you're jamming on a shooter or rpg.

taks

Personally, I don't like the idea of gaming laptops. They...

• are heavy,
  • run hot,
  • are ridiculously expensive,
  • usually perform lower than similarly-specced desktops because of thermal and power restrictions,
  • provide little-to-no opportunity for overclocking due to the same restrictions,
  • have slow and relatively failure-prone hard drives, and
  • have small(er) and usually low-quality LCD displays.

The display issue, as well as the keyboard/mouse discomfort can be resolved by using a docking station, but the tradeoffs between mobility and capability will always be there. I prefer small, light, silent, cool laptops and huge, noisy, uber-powerful desktops. Of course, if you do need/desire a mobile gaming solution (and I can understand why many people do), there isn't any other alternative.

I heard the 7950 is headache. You apparantly have to make sli profiles for the games, that don't even recognize that there are two GPUs. Go for real SLI instead.

Do you have a link for that? I have not seen that in any of the reviews I have read.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Thanks Bokishi - that was a VERY helpful link. I am now looking at the SFF for the Core Duo 2 that has Crossfire capability. Perhaps I'll go with the ATI 1900XTX instead. I'm still not sold on the dual card thing and the link demonstrates what I had hoped had been addressed with the GX2.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

I would go with the Dell. A lap top is what I need also and the Dell would be my choice out of those two.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

My experience with Dell laptops (and this seems to chime with many other people's) is that their battery technology is very poor. My battery lasted twelve months and one day, then I couldn't get more than five minutes out of it. (That's why I bought an IBM Thinkpad, ext: they have the best laptop batteries: still going after three years, and I haven't even used the "deep discharge" function on it once, yet.)

The Dell XPS is their premium brand, however, and may be put together with more care.

But Dells are very plasticky, I find. ;)

The Shuttle PC you quote has good recent reviews:

CONCLUSION

Yet again, Shuttle shows its mastery of the SFF [small form factor], with a well-engineered system that packs most of the features you'd want in a full-sized ATX motherboard and case into a compact, good looking package. You pay a premium for the Shuttle name though. Nevertheless, if a no-compromise socket AM2 Athlon 64 in a small box is your preference, the SN27P2 should be your top choice. ...

Having said that, I'd recommend the Core 2 Duo, too. :)

It is streets ahead of the AMD (unfortunately), though you will pick up an AMD bargain if you look hard enough.

Also, there is a quad-core Core 2 Duo out in 15 weeks (November), which will blow away the current tech, too: not really something you would necessarily wan to buy, but it should bring the price down of the X6700 and X6800. :)

CPUs need good mobos, too. There are a couple of mobos out at the moment that suit the new Core 2 Duo ... e.g. the P965-based Asus P5B Deluxe (nb not the latest release P975X-based Asus P5W DH Deluxe, which sadly uses the obsolete ICH7R Southbridge, as well as adding CrossFire support). It's faster than its younger stablemate, because it uses the new ICH8R Southbridge chip, but, it has no crossfire support.

(The new Abit Fatal1ty AN932X mobo has the new nForce 590 SLI chipset: worth considering if you want to team an AMD Athlon 64, -FX, or AM2 socket with an SLi GPU setting, say two EVGA GeForce 7900GTs, which will take advantage of the extra bandwidth acceleration implemented by the nForce590.)

The Seagate harddisk looks pretty good; check out Custom PC's recommendation, too.

The ATi X1900XTX is the fastest GPU on the market, currently. (There will be another DX9 GPU release before Vista and DX10, though, and that is imminent.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Okay here are my two options (core specs):

Shuttle SN27P2

AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ Dual Core Processor

Seagate 250 GB (7200) 8MB Cache - Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ SATA2

2x1GB PC2-6400 OCZ RAM

XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB

or

Dell XPS M1710 Gaming Notebook

Core Duo 2 T7600

100GB HDD 7200 RPM

2x1GB PC2-5400

GeForce Go 7900 GTX 512MB

The struggle is the portability aspect. I am really enjoying the flexibility of the mobility of a notebook - question is how much of a hit in performance do you think I am looking at? Any thoughts or insights would be helpful as I wrestle with this decision.

They're both powerful machines, and I'd be happy with either personally. What i will say is that you may have some issue with GFX drivers with the laptop, but you'll probably find yourself turning off one of the GPU's quite often on the geforce 7950 GX2.

If you want mobility the laptop is a beast, I have the same spec desktop and I am very very pleased with it but beware older software.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

My experience with Dell laptops (and this seems to chime with many other people's) is that their battery technology is very poor.

terrible. my work laptop, a sort of a leftover, lasts 20 minutes at best and i only use it once every 6 months.

taks