BioWare on the 'Broken' Game Industry

Morgoth

Well, I just think that the use of a third dimension can give players a greater sense of freedom and more strategic options in combat.  In PnP DnD one of the most useful spells in combat is the Fly spell and used in conjuction of Reduce and Improved Invisibility it can have a devastating effect on both the enemy and the PCs.

I'm sure every designer can tell you 1000 reasons why it wouldn't make sense (or unpredictable difficulties) to do such thing in a game where you click around like crazy. And I just don't mean camera problems alone.

Jumping/Flying makes lots of fun when I have full control about my character, like Tribes Vengeance (jetpack mayhem!!!), but in find that kind of things rather banal in a party based RPG that's supposed to be a spiritual successor of BG. In such a game, I expect the focus being on tactical combat, character interaction and a story that blows my socks off.

Edited by Morgoth

Why would having z axis detract from that, Morgoth? You already moving the party in two axis points, how would using a third diminsh the strategic aspects of combat in the game?

Of course, when I am trying to have a serious conversation about these matters there are those who still just want to poke fun and harass me. :(

Edited by Judge Hades

Why would having z axis detract from that, Morgoth?  You already moving the party in two axis points, how would using a third diminsh the strategic aspects of combat in the game?

How? Tactic in such games is based on stats, not environments. They don't play any role at all.

Maybe that's the problem? :(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Actually it is should be a combination of both on the character's abilities and the environment he finds himself in.  Such as one wouldn't use the same tactics in a dense forest terrain as you would in a swamp or an enclosed sewer.

Well, first of course, I want to set straight that I'm not 100% sure Bio has denied such features, but they've put them onto lower priority.

I remember playing Praetorians (Tactical RTS) where environmental circumstances like height, or being in a corn field and getting shot with an fire arrow, or crossing a river (slows down) added lots of tactical depth, and since RTS are basically "2D" games too, I'd agree this could work in an RPG as well. But Bio would have to match the balance, and offer skills for that. Maybe they consider that, but the leader Dave Gaider is a dinosaur who doesn't let himself inspire by other games so chances are pretty low. :(

Edited by Morgoth

Why would having z axis detract from that, Morgoth?  You already moving the party in two axis points, how would using a third diminsh the strategic aspects of combat in the game?

Loads of ways. Is X supposed to be able to hit something of height Y? Archers might be able to hit, but meleers cannot hit high flying things. How does "fly over the melee front and attack the mages in the back" sound like a strategic change to you?

Not to mention new ways to cross maps. If you fly you might just hit all those vital trigger thingies nicely planted to make the story work out? Do they have to make MASSIVE trigger zones? wouldn't that allow far more errors if hit wrong (which can be easier if there is more to hit)?

Besides that I have no idea how jumping could alter combat... or add anything but uselessness... And uselessness is usually seen as a bad thing, no?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Jumping comes useful if you are fleeing combat and some big nasty can't jump as far as you or you are trying to climb to a better vantage spot. I am not saying adding a Z axis would be easy but I think it would add a new level in gameplay omplexity that would be loads of fun.

What is wrong with a 2 Axis animation for that?

Like a tiger leap attack?

Anyways... it would add a bit to the gameplay; and a LOT of hell for developers...

(and than not just graphics/viewdistance/LOD-wise)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Anyways... it would add a bit to the gameplay; and a LOT of hell for developers...

Exactly, that's why it's smarter to take the best elements from already established genres instead of shoe horning some experimental stuff into a dinosaur concept.

Depth of an RPG with the combat depth of a modern FPS? Play Deus Ex, or to some degree, System Shock 2.

And Bioshock will follow and revolutionize anything anyways.

Man, I sound like a PR whore. :D

Exactly, that's why it's smarter to take the best elements from already established genres instead of shoe horning some experimental stuff into a dinosaur concept.

Depth of an RPG with the combat depth of a modern FPS? Play Deus Ex, or to some degree, System Shock 2.

And Bioshock will follow and revolutionize anything anyways.

Man, I sound like a PR whore.  :D

Let the dinosaur die and come up wih a new concept then. I am not saying to have a combat depth of a FPS. It still needs to be a CRPG butmake allowances for full 3D combat and positioning.

In Final Fantasy Tactics elevation was a huge part of the game.  Of course, motion in that game was also really just on a 2D plane.

and yet the only other game that makes good use of terrain advangage was Starcraft... generals just kinda ignored it (sight bonus was it) and Warcraft ignored it for the most part.

:sighs in resignation:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In Final Fantasy Tactics elevation was a huge part of the game.  Of course, motion in that game was also really just on a 2D plane.

and yet the only other game that makes good use of terrain advangage was Starcraft... generals just kinda ignored it (sight bonus was it) and Warcraft ignored it for the most part.

:sighs in resignation:

Terrain Advantage = Slightly better sight/target range and slight 25% miss chance for units on lower elevation? I can't think of anything else that Starcraft offered in terrain. Is that what you are referring to when you say terrain advantage? :p

Jumping comes useful if you are fleeing combat and some big nasty can't jump as far as you or you are trying to climb to a better vantage spot.  I am not saying adding a Z axis would be easy but I think it would add a new level in gameplay omplexity that would be loads of fun.

Would you have the reflexes and timing to pull that off?

Jumping comes useful if you are fleeing combat and some big nasty can't jump as far as you or you are trying to climb to a better vantage spot.  I am not saying adding a Z axis would be easy but I think it would add a new level in gameplay omplexity that would be loads of fun.

Would you have the reflexes and timing to pull that off?

your talking about a guy who can't get away from the blasted warewolf.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.