Why Blizzard is so Successful

qaz156

Hey, I wanted to play it before it was released, well somewhat. That has to be worth something. :thumbsup:

My wants in a game is not that much. Just an original well written story that has an ending I can't predict and a rules system that allows me to make many diverse characters.

Only Blizzard game I ever liked was Blackthorne, heh supposed to have been a failure sales wise.

I thought that was a smash hit?! Me and my friends were quite into it when it came. Lost Vikings too.

I read it wasn't recieved too well, but it's the only blizzard game I have liked, and that's probably more down to my liking of flashback and another world, than it being blizzard.

While successful, blizzard have failed to entertain me most of the time.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Blizzard is successful because they create games people wnat to play. This is the same philosophy that all successful businesses have - make something (be it games, cars, movies, food) that people want.

They have yet made a game that I want to play. :thumbsup:

Other than blackthorne I feel exactly the same way.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

My wants in a game is not that much.  Just an original well written story that has an ending I can't predict and a rules system that allows me to make many diverse characters.

Geez, no wonder you are never satisfied. Next you'll be asking for games that aren't swamped with bugs. :thumbsup:

Battlenet was one reason why Blizzard ruled for a time. Now Battlenet is rather dead.

It isn't still alive? I thought the Starcraft community was still pretty active through Battlenet, but maybe they use other sources. On the Blizzard side of things, they did a pretty good job of taking that Battlenet concept and turning into a massive money making machine with 5 million users paying about $15 a month.

Battlenet was one reason why Blizzard ruled for a time. Now Battlenet is rather dead.

It isn't still alive? I thought the Starcraft community was still pretty active through Battlenet, but maybe they use other sources. On the Blizzard side of things, they did a pretty good job of taking that Battlenet concept and turning into a massive money making machine with 5 million users paying about $15 a month.

The starcraft community will likely stay with battlenet for a long time to come, however the last time I was on, it was so overrun by 13 year olds who thought that they were the "bestest starcraft player EVAR!!!11" with their maphacks that the only way to get a decent game going is at a lan were you can ignore battlenet and beat the tar out of anyone caught cheating. :blink:"

I was refering to Battlenet Diablo, one and two. It's not the hot place that it used to be.

Well it's a six year old game, what do you expect?

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

There's still a decent number of people playing in the Closed Battle.net servers by my roommate's account.

I think things are now slightly more quiet, because people are waiting for new ladder season, but it still totally beats open battle.net with massive damage.

Though not quite as many in hardcore, which is the only mode my friends and I play in.

Hardcore is blessed place where you don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hardcore is infinitely better. Knowing you have to be at least a BIT careful when fighting that lightning enchanted boss makes the game so much more satisfying. It did suck when some ass munch invited you to a party and proceeded to gank you with the hydras.

As a funny aside, some guy tried doing that to me, and the second I saw the guardians I hid behind a corner just as he went hostile. I then went back to town. He was "LOLing" me like crazy, until I told him that he had nothing to laugh about since he couldn't even PK me with the cheapest character possible.

I also remember my friend having a barb that was so powerful (thanks phat l00t!) that it seemed he could not die. Some high level sorc came into a game and started trying to PK, so he jumped into his barbarian. IIRC it had insane life leech, lightning absorb (he loved fighting lightning enchanted bosses, as it actually healed him), and max resistances to every thing else. He could pretty much solo the Arcane Sanctuary while only having to be a "bit careful" when the mass iron maiden casts came up, as he would do a slight amount of damage to himself. While the Sorc stayed too close to town and would keep hiding before getting killed, my friend took no damage. It was hilarious watching two 90s go at it and the hotshot PKer was reduced to cowering in town.

And IMO, the only reason why someone would want to play an open battle.net player is because they want to cheat (or at the very least don't mind it at all, and want to play their LAN characters online...but this typically results in you playing with only friends).

If there was anything did not like about games like Diablo 2, is not being able to save without having to exit game. Its save and exit command was a relief if one's character was surrounded by monsters and trapped to death while just as frustrating also as the only place to begin a game was back in town even with same character whether one died or not. Hardly got used to real-time multiplayer also. Gameplay graphics looked like half-done.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Errr.

What "obvious" reasons are there?  Considering I think that Closed Battle.net >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Open Battle.net, it certainly isn't obvious to me.

Only obvious reason I came up is cheating.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.