Bioshock interview @TTLG

Morgoth

That's very impressive, and perhaps some of it will even be accurate. Not to be overly cynical but Harvey Smith, the lead on DX2, made almost exactly the same sort of profound statements about his game. Except for the water, of course, since DX2 had no water. Sadly, it turned out to be mostly idle fancy that had little impact on an utterly (at best) mediocre game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

True, dumbed down would not appear to be the problem. However, SMith certainly never said any thing that made DX2 sound dumbed down either.

Wasn't it Chris Taylor then of Digital Anvil who had the huge endless articles about how Freelancer was goign to be the most groundbreaking game ever. A year later he was off the project and Freelancer came out as a barely tolderable linear space combat sim?

When devs start touting their own game as teh greatest thing ever, I start to get a little nervous.

I truly hope Bioshock WILL be the greatest thing ever. However, I'll settle for it successfully uninstalling without wiping out my hard drive. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

barely tolderable linear space combat sim?

Ever tried MP?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

barely tolderable linear space combat sim?

Ever tried MP?

By MP you mean multiplayer Freelancer, I am assuming...

Yeah, care to answer?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Totally.

kirottu said:

I still don't like the art style.  It looks like a funhouse shooting gallery.  Bright primary colors, oversized objects,  meh.  Hard for me to imagine I'm going to feel any particular fear or suspense in a atmosphere like that.  Yay for shootin puppets with a rope gun!
There's some sort of plastic trend going around in graphic artists brains right now. Bioshock has it (in abundance!) and Gothic 3 has it (not as much, but still annoying). I wish someone would tell those damn artists: "NOT COOL!".

Irrational have designed Bioshock too look like that, it's not part of some "trend", modern, artistic or otherwise.

Well, I disagree. I believe the "problem" lies in normal mapping (like someone already pointed out) and shaders. I think it takes time to make shaders that doesn't look plastic, and since shaders (v3.0) are a relatively new technique they all resemble each other and they all look slightly plastic. Hence my trend remark (it's not really a trend though).

What you pointed out is artistic design (analog looking devices and stuff from the fifties) while I am talking about mostly textures, lighting and nasty bloom effects.

The game itself sounds highly attractive though. If half of what he claims comes true, it will be one hell of a game. I just wonder how they will handle loading times.. I've recently noticed that the biggest immersion breaker for me is loading screens and long loading times. I absolutely hate when the game visibly loads something every second step I take, like in the old game Clive Barker's Undying. I could never play that game because I saw more loading screens than actual gameplay.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I disagree. I believe the "problem" lies in normal mapping (like someone already pointed out) and shaders. I think it takes time to make shaders that doesn't look plastic, and since shaders (v3.0) are a relatively new technique they all resemble each other and they all look slightly plastic. Hence my trend remark (it's not really a trend though).

What you pointed out is artistic design (analog looking devices and stuff from the fifties) while I am talking about mostly textures, lighting and nasty bloom effects.

Ah. okay then. I don't seem to see the plasticky effect. ;) Not that that is a bad thing, and I don't really want to, since I already think the look is great.

*puts fingers in ears*

La la lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

1UP: That is something I am really excited about too. It definitely seems like there's a "battle not monsters lest you become a monster" vibe to this. Is there any reward for trying to maintain your humanity? Do you have to kill the creepy little girls?

KL: No. No, we're not talking about specifics here but the game will support basically very emergent and dynamic choices with how you interact with those little sisters and that's sort of the core morality question of the game. But it's also a very different gameplay style depending on how you interact with them -- do you exploit them and hurt them or do you maybe even help them? We haven't talked about specifics on that but that will be a choice the player has in the game. Not like a dialogue box where you say you want to help them or hurt them but what you do moment to moment and how you interact with them moment to moment in a very dynamic gameplay oriented way. It really gives the player a lot of choice and it makes a very different gameplay experience depending on what your moral choices are.

You know, making people jump, that's scary for that moment but that doesn't really help you for the rest of the game. But if you set up sort of certain themes and you get people creeped out and you get them thinking about the world they are in and you really engage them mentally and engage them emotionally then you don't have to work as hard to have monsters jumping out of closets every five seconds. Just the scenes do the work for you.

Any good piece of writing wants to ask questions -- not answer them.

:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Levine defines accessibilty as it pertains to BioShock

Let me get this out of the way first:

"F*ck Levine and F*ck Irrational! What do they think we are, idiots?! How dare they try to make BioShock accessible!!!!"

As I said in another thread, we're going to be getting into information on this site in a deeper way than you might find a on generalist gaming site. Why? Because we've been posting here for about 100 years and we don't have to worry about losing anybody when we get deep in the weeds on BioShock.

When I say accessible an interview, here are some things some of you might think I mean:

No ammo types.

No character growth.

No hacking.

No logs.

No open-ended level layouts.

No difficulty.

No weapon mods.

No research system.

No limited resources.

No ghosts.

No dozens and dozens of plasmids.

No radically different play styles.

This is, of course, a filthy, filthy lie.

Here's what Irrational is doing to make BioShock accessible.

1) Dynamic Training. This is the big investment we're making, and we believe it's a key element to bringing deeper games to non-core gamers. And for the rest of you, it's our stake to the heart to tutorial-itis. It's a system that watches how you play and dynamically genereates advice to point you towards game play options you might be missing ("hey, ever thought of hacking?"), systems you might be using wrong ("hey, how about some armor piercing rounds on that bot!", or even game systems you just don't get ("hey that's 12 security cameras you've been spotted by in a row. want to learn more about the security system?"). You can, of course, turn this system off if you don't like it.

2) It's going to be pretty! Guess what: Shock 2 having ugly character models and no translucency in our sprites was not a design choice!

3) People who play the game guns blazing will have a AAA experience as well. In Shock 2, we don't think we really were fair to the guns guys. Without compromising all of the systems I described above (hacking, crafting, research, etc), we're going to make things blow up nice.

4) Performance. I think a big barrier of entry on Shock 2 (for the mass market, not TTLGers) was the long load times and mediocre performance. One of our core goals with BioShock was making sure frame rates and load times were competitive.

If anything, BioShock is the deepest game we've ever made. Having real time and money to make it also means it will be the most accessible.

(edited to add "No limited resources.")

Translation: Ken will market the game as teh new Doom3 2.0, but in truth, it's deep and should offer more than the biggest hardcore System Shock fan has ever asked for.

Sell it as a FPS! It's the only way to enlighten the dumb masses!

And no, it's not the other way around. Ken would never do that. Never.

*Excitement meter declines due to DX:IW shivers*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I know...

It is just that all this PR-stuff gives me a major Deja-Vu about that other "classics sequel" which was MAJORLY dissapointing in the end.

Let's hope they do it better here; but I fear the worst (after all; then the relief can only be bigger if it turns out ok)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Nah...Irrational never let me down... but then again, they've only made PC games so far, so I can understand your fear.

But Irrational doesn't use a crippled engine, the new consoles have far more power and RAM (big maps finally possible) and they certainly are aware of any other creative and technological constrains. So the chance they screw it up a'la DXIW is veeeeeeeeeeeeery low. ;)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/733/733635p1.html

Surprise! BioShock! Surprise!

Yes, we are teasing you. But rest assured, you'll be satisfied when we're done.

September 19, 2006 - Yes, we know. We've surprised you before with "wild" new games such as Table Tennis, and angered you with promises of midnight reviews of King Kong, so we're familiar with how much you "love" surprises. While those surprises might have caused some folks grief (while other, less vocal readers were quite happy), we have a genuine surprise for Wednesday, September 20 on IGN.com.

What is the big hub-bub all about? We've connected with 2K Games to bring you something very substantial. What is it? The subject matter is BioShock, and for those who've been following this game, you're going to love this special piece. For those of you who haven't been following BioShock, or who are curious about this game but can't quite form an opinion on it, gather 'round. You're gonna want to see this. The winner of numerous E3 awards will appear on IGN exclusively like it never has before.

As soon as we get the video from 2K Games, we'll post this IGN exclusive at our regular posting time, about 6:30 pm, on Wednesday, September 20. Stay tuned.