Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic

Pidesco

So in that line of thinking, Hades, we would never see Star Wars games or books because that name is reserved solely for movies.

Might and Magic is just a fantasy world. Sure, it started off as a certain type of game, but it was expanded with Heroes of Might and Magic and now it's growing further with Dark Messiah (We won't talk about Crusaders.) It's a universe that developers are using to set their game in. Sure, it's not developed as thoroughly as D&D or Star Wars, but it's still an already created universe.

Growth is the key here. Might and Magic was dead. So was Fallout. These new games aren't interfering with the old style of games.

If a game is using a name that has been used on past games it should at least be made in the similar vein and style of the original.  They are only using the Might and Magic name so they can sell a few more copies they wouldn't have if they made the game to rest on its own name.

Games that are based on another game in name only are not worth playing.  That goes for the Baldur's Gate and Fallout console titles.  That goes for that Bard's Tale POS that Brian Fargo made.  The same will apply to this game and the Fallout Bethesda is making.

So for you Ultima Underworld isn't worth playing, Heroes Of Might And Magic isn't worth playing, Neverwinter Nights isn't worth playing, and World Of Warcraft isn't worth playing.

That's just stupid.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Except in the case of Neverwinter Nights, which the original was a Forgotten Realms DnD online game and "remake" is a Forgotten Realms DnD online game, then no not really. Never had any interest in HoMM.

There is growth and there is just using a name to sell more copies. Baldur's gate 1 to Baldur's Gate 2 is growth. Neverwinter Nights 1 to Neverwinter Nights 2 is growth.

Fallout 2 to Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is not growth.

Edited by Judge Hades

KotOR was clearly cashing in on the Star Wars name, but that doesn't make it less stellar.

edit: BG1 to BG2 is barely growth. It's a direct sequel cashing in on the success of the previous title. When a series is dead in the water, as M&M was, it's a risk to take it on in any aspect.

Edited by Hurlshot

What about Ultima vs Ultima Underworld? They really did just attach the Ultima brand to make it easier to sell.

And anyway the point is that you are basically deciding never to touch a game based solely on the game's name.

So here's a crazy idea: how about not looking at the game's name before touching it and just trying it for the gameplay. After playing the game you can decide whether you like it or not.

Heja Sverige!!

I wonder if Dark Messiah will have medieval strippers.

Heja Sverige!!

Rope...arrows!!!1111

Heh, I think this preview can explain that:

Thankfully, however, freelance game development ronin for hire Randy Smith - he of Thief fame - was on hand to help out. On board to help put Arcane's abstract concepts and unique vision into a workable FPS framework, the project was soon put back on track. "He helped us build up a vocabulary for all of our concepts," Colantonio picks up again. "Parrying, dodging - all of those things. Together we nailed down more and more and he helped us shape our ideas into something far more analytical. We really learned a lot."

I'm definitively getting this game. :cool:

Still looks like Might and Magic in name only.

Actually, I recall reading somewhere (possibly on the Heroes5 forum) that DMoMM was merely a spin-off and that Ubisoft will eventually publish a regular Might & Magic RPG as well.

If the gameplay of the assasin (slow and creepy, that is) comes close to Thief, I'm sold.

I see Ubisoft postponed the release to October, heh? Where also NWN2, Gothic3 and FEAR expansion gets released.... C R A P!

NWN 2, Gothic 3, Dark Messiah and uni. :(

Two weeks off in October in between quarters!!!

Aaaaaand an obsolete rig and no money to upgrade it with. :)

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I suggest you start selling your own body. The games coming out in October are totally worth it.

Heja Sverige!!

Actually I just figured that my

plan to stab alanschu

long term investments would finally bear fruit. I'll

loot his house and steal his totally sweet and awesome rig.

take a little bit of my stock out and purchase upgrades and games.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I think Bok would be the better option, considering he poops money. Especially as he's away from home right now, making house looting a very viable option.

Heja Sverige!!

You shouldn't stab him! Kidnap him, tie him up in a basement, and feed him regularly so you can use is money pooping skills as your personal ATM.

Heja Sverige!!

OK.

But only this once. And don't tell your mother.

Heja Sverige!!

Is this anywhere else? Fileplanet is icky.

Edit:YES IT IS!!!1

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Right, got it.

The demo is 1,37 gigs, so this will take a while...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds