Why are starfighters always manned?

Eddo36

Well, in Star Wars, didn't the baddie use the Republic to exchange his really idiotic droids, drones and bots for creative thinking Clones?

Using George Lucas logic doesn't work in most cases ("ONLY a Sith deals in absolutes!") but it makes sense to me.

If you simply want to reduce your pilot casualties then yes.

However keep fixed in your mind the fact that a remote pilot means you have a remote link.

1. Jamming.

2. Delays.

3. Malfunctions.

4. Enemy viruses (see Steve's point about BSG)

Which can, however, be offset by

1. Absence of human vulnerabilities like oxygen, heating.

2. Absence of fear factors

Also bear in mind that lethal force is best kept in the hands of humans IMO. Not soulless conscienceless robots.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Man, I saw the movie "Stealth" (well, parts of it...it was too bad to watch completely) and AI is definitely not the way to go.  Those things go rogue too easy.

That's why I hate, hate, hate such movies. According to Hollywood, anything artificial that can be more intelligent than a living person is a bloodsucking baby-killing machine.

Man, I saw the movie "Stealth" (well, parts of it...it was too bad to watch completely) and AI is definitely not the way to go.  Those things go rogue too easy.

That's why I hate, hate, hate such movies. According to Hollywood, anything artificial that can be more intelligent than a living person is a bloodsucking baby-killing machine.

Except Sonny.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In the case of some people this would include their mobile phones.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, in most space movies, why are there always a freaking pilot in a ****pit of fighters?

There's no emotional-tugging human drama in wondering if a machine is going to survive a battle or not. At least I'd assume that's the exec's reasoning.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Do you people ever read threads? I mean, besides the starting post?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, in most space movies, why are there always a freaking pilot in a ****pit of fighters?

It's because it's a movie, and not a lot of people want to watch a computer with no emotions fly into danger.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

It's because the audience can't empathize with coldhearted machines. Heck, most humans are afraid of them on one level or another. The underdog starfighter pilot from humble origins on the other hand is a real crowd pleaser. The sappy audience gets all emotionally attached to them, to the point where they're sitting on the edge of their seats when s/he's in danger.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Dude, doesn't anyone read the rest of the thread besides just the first post anymore?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

aksjgiargaergjjagr!!!111

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It's because the audience can't empathize with coldhearted machines. Heck, most humans are afraid of them on one level or another. The underdog starfighter pilot from humble origins on the other hand is a real crowd pleaser. The sappy audience gets all emotionally attached to them, to the point where they're sitting on the edge of their seats when s/he's in danger.

Do people actually literally sit on the edge of their seats when watching movies? :huh:

I do, well I lay back and still sit on the edge of the seat. That doesn't have anything to do with excitement though.

And I correct my position every 15 minutes. Not really a movie-goer.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: