NHL

Darque

Great. Dallas - Phoenix: one goal by Lindros (ex-Leaf) and TWO goals by the most hated ex-Leaf right now, Owen Nolan. Why does it seem that everytime some player leaves the Leafs organization, they imediately go out and become a success on another team?! Lucky it's only preseason still.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Poor, poor Roberto Luongo. :rolleyes: Letting in a goal on his first shot against him in a Vancouver game. That sounds like something of Conklin-esque proportions.

And the Flames lost to the Oiler rookies tonight. Sweet!

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That's it. I'm officially declaring Tuomo Ruutu a bust. Three games into the preseason and he's already going to be out for a month. Granted, from this report it doesn't sound like it's really his own fault, but despite young mr.Ruutu's obvious talents it doesn't look like he'll ever be healthy long enough to reap the benefits of him.

Although the number of injuries that have occured so far before the season even starts has me a bit worried. I can't pick Jagr in my hockey pool since he's not really recovered from his shoulder surgery. Bertuzzi's ribs bothering him is not a good sign either. Now we just need Pronger to break his ankle...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Yeah, it's been a really odd pre-season. Malkin dislocated his shoulder, Fedorov out, etc. Lots of players hurting even before the season starts. Every team seem to be affected. Maybe it's the speed of the "new NHL" that causes this?

I just played my first game with the new rules. USA hockey decided to follow the NHL, and apply them to youth hockey, which sorta sucks. You can barley tap someone with your stick without a penalty being called.

Oh man, we are having the same problems! You can't even lift a guys stick with getting a penalty. I'm hoping it will calm down a few games into the season, but my team was in the box pretty much the entire game last week. It wasn't like the other team was getting called, either. The penalties were 15-5.

So, anyone joining any hockey pools this year? I can't seem to find the one I used to belong to from the Oilers forum. Which is too bad, 'cos you picked your players weekly and it was kinda fun.

The start of next week is the deadline for my entries. It's the same as the last few years, pick one player out of five in twenty different boxes. For the most part its based on the top one hundred scorers from last season, but the guy who runs the pool likes to add in the top playoff scorers to throw off some of the noobs. Like Fernando Pisani in box number six with Kariya, Gomez, Shanny and Vinny Prospal. It's cruel, I know, but we always get a laugh out of it. Then we tease said person at work mercilessly for the next six, seven months.

But here's my problem. There's box number fourteen that's really pissing me off right now. It has Philly's Mike Knuble, Brendan Morrow from Dallas, Alexei Kovalev, David Vyborny and Mike Sillinger.

Knuble would be the most consistant point producer of the five, I would think, but a lot of times he's pretty much in it by himself with the Flyers, what with Forsberg (who I wouldn't pick due to the injury factor) and Gagne both being on the IR every season.

Morrow is kind of an overacheiving checking line guy IMO than a big time numbers player.

Kovalev? If he was still playing with the Rangers and Jagr was healthy, maybe. Otherwise no. He might be the most skilled of the five, but he's prone to lengthy slumps.

David Vyborny is a second line winger who occasionally sees time on the PP with Rick Nash. This year he'll have to compete with Anson Carter for top line duty. Excuse me while I laugh myself silly here for a second.

And isn't Mike Sillinger like a hundred? Or is that just the number of teams the guys played for?

So any suggestions?

That was the worst box in the pool, I thought. The next toughest had Comrie-Allison-Eric Cole-Tomas Holmstrom and Marco Sturm.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Take Kovalev. One of the most talented players. He'll get points with his eyes close. And, if he gets really going he's as good as anyone including Jagr.

So, even on the downside, he's the best choice.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'll always take Sturm in any pool, since I've got a soft spot for ex Sharks. But he's actually a pretty good pick up, as he'll be top line in Boston and as long as he's healthy, he's consistent. Comrie is about equal, I would think, but I haven't looked closely.

Take Kovalev.  And, if he gets really going he's as good as anyone including Jagr.

My decision is kind of swaying between Knuble and Kovalev. Knuble has shown a steady increase points wise in the past three seasons. And Kovalev did bring the ole-rangle-dangle on a few nights last season. It's just those periods inbetween where he's either uninterested, slumping and/or injured.

That's one of those ones where you actually have to show up to draft players? :geek:

I'll always take Sturm in any pool, since I've got a soft spot for ex Sharks.  But he's actually a pretty good pick up, as he'll be top line in Boston and as long as he's healthy, he's consistent.  Comrie is about equal, I would think, but I haven't looked closely.

Although I don't let team pride usually get in the way of my picks , I'll avoid Comrie based on past rumours from Edmonton. Sturm is looking more and more like the default pick, although Tomas Holmstrom, who doesn't get a lot of points aside from PP goals, notched three assists in tonights' contest against the Wild.

Thanks for the input, boys.

And Mkreku, you'll be proud to know that I've selected Mats Sundin again for both of my entries into this years pool.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

That's one of those ones where you actually have to show up to draft players?

If you're not there, it'll draft the highest ranked guy available. You can also set up your own draft order if you want.

But hey, you asked, and didn't give any kind of condition on what type of pool you wanted in. I don't care much for the "pick one from each group of 5" method, so I guess it's different strokes for different folks.

And Mkreku, you'll be proud to know that I've selected Mats Sundin again for both of my entries into this years pool.

Cool! Then I'm going to give you some inside information about him: this year Maurice is going to use Sundin as the sniper. He figures mats has the best shot on the team and wants him to be more egoistic and take more shots. Rumours are flying that Sundin might get to play with Wellwood, who is (probably) the Leafs smartest player with the puck. He's young, but developing into a great setup man. Unfortunately, they still haven't decided on any of Mats' wingers, but I am hoping for Suglobov, who has played extremely well in the preseason.

No matter what, except for a major injury (something which Mats doesn't get very often), he's bound to get at least 80+ points. Some tools over at the HFboards are predicting a 100+ season from Captain Clutch, but.. I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Heh, you're right Alan, I didn't specify what sort of pool I wanted to join. Thanks for the invite, though!

This is more up my alley.

Am I the only one worried that the Oilers let in 4 goals against Vancouvers' b-squad last night?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Nice to hear Lupul finally got going last night. I'd like to see a reunion of the Reasoner Pisani Moreau line, but that would leave Jarret Stoll without any decent wingers.

We are a week away, ladies and genitals. A week away... :)

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Am I the only one worried that the Oilers let in 4 goals against Vancouvers' b-squad last night?

Hopefully.

Our B-Squad was able to beat Calgary's A-squad, so it's all good. In fact, Calgary gave up 6 goals (including an empty netter) last night as well, and they are typically regarded as having excellent defense as well as the best goalie in the league.

Do you wonder if Luongo still thinks that Vancouver has a better shot than Florida at making the playoffs this season? I like the 'Nucks ( except when they're playing Edmonton, of course), but don't think much of their chances of making it to the dance this spring.

I guess it's good to see Georges Laraque get a point, let alone a game winning goal. Even if its preseason. Way to go, big guy!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Do you wonder if Luongo still thinks that Vancouver has a better shot than Florida at making the playoffs this season?  I like the 'Nucks ( except when they're playing Edmonton, of course), but don't think much of their chances of making it to the dance this spring.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I too think the 'Nucks will be in big trouble. That Kesler thing hardly eased Nonis' headache either, so they'll be in for a rough ride. I doubt Luongo will steal enough games for them to finish in the top eight.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Just a tip: Nikolai Zherdev signed for three years with Columbus. If you're doing fantasy teams, you might want to check up on him. He should be fairly cheap, and if he can only stay healthy and get his work ethics sorted, he'll easily notch around 80+ points this season.

I was secretly hoping that the Leafs would make a bid for him :)