NHL

Darque

The name is Zherdev. Nikolai Zherdev. And I wouldn't mind him "grubbing" some money in a Leafs uniform.. :rolleyes:

Edit:

By the way, I love how NA media is covering this. Notice how foreigners are always depicted as "money-grubbing" and NA players as "having heart" (that arbitrary, abstract intangible that always seems worth paying lots of extra dollars for)? Zherdev has talent. Lots of it. They are offering him $1.1 million for a one year contract. Zherdev happens to play on the same team as Rick Nash, another talented youngster. They're both pretty new to the league so comparing them is a bit tricky, but over their first two seasons (in Zherdev's case, his only seasons) in the NHL, Zherdev has a higher PPG average than Nash. Maybe an unfair comparison, but I felt as since they're both still adjusting and evolving, their first two seasons should be the closest we can come to getting a look at their skill level (and development curve) side by side.

Zherdev:

2003-2004: 57 games played, 13 goals, 21 assists, 34 points, -11

2005-2006: 73 games played, 27 goals, 27 assists, 54 points, -13

130 games played with a 0.68 PPG average and +/- at -24.

Nash:

2002-2003: 74 games played, 17 goals, 22 assists, 39 points, -27

2003-2004: 80 games played, 41 goals, 16 assists, 57 points, -35

154 games played with a 0.62 PPG average and +/- at -62.

They're both pretty injury prone, Zherdev plays a more mature defensive game and Nash is the better pure goalscorer. Guess what? Rick Nash didn't have to fight for his new contract worth $27 million over 5 years! This year alone will net him $4.5 million. They are offering Zherdev $1.1 million for a one year contract. Personally I think that's an insult to Zherdev, but the media are writing this up as if it's Zherdev being the crook.

Zherdev had to leave his family, friends and country halfway across the world to come and play in the NHL, in a land where they don't speak his language. Nash just moved from Canada to Columbus and unless he only spoke french (highly unlikely) the transition was probably much easier. That intangible alone is worth extra compensation.

Personally I hope Zherdev stays in Russia and plays. That or he's traded to the Leafs.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"We could discuss what a money-grubbing bastard, Zhedev is. "

He has every right to get the best deal possible for him. He's not brwkaing any rules. he's doing exactly what teams do. Teams try to get players as cheaply a spossible. Players try to get as money as possible.

If they don't think he's worth what he wants then don't pay him, let him go to to Russia. Or, better yet, have the balls and the morals to release him outright.. I think the entire idea of 'restricted free agent' dumb.

If you don't want their service of the player, and can't trade him ( i think trades are dumb (but fun); but that's a whole 'nother issue) then just release him. But, teams ALL about controlling players; not employing them.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

[big huge post]

I'd go back and edit the post to change his name but it won't let me do it anymore. I could have sworn I had that "R" in there. I really did go back and double check the name... >_<

And your comparison to Nash only works if you think that Nash deserves $4.5 million/season. Considering the production he's managed to put up I might consider $2 million/season, maybe 2.5 and I would likely offer the same amount to Zherdev. They offered him $3.5 for two years according to the article and that comes out to $1.75 mil/season which is better. It would be better if we had more concrete details about what they are looking for other than "It's still not close to what the Zherdev camp wants." <_<

First off, I just watched a rather long NHL2k7 video, and it looked pretty awesome. I'm definitely going to be a bit torn between NHL07 and 2k7. It will probably come down to the reviews.

Secondly, Columbus is building their team around Nash. They consider him a franchise player. Even so, I agree his contract is too big. They are assuming he will grow into that money, and showing that they don't have the same faith in Zherdev. I haven't seen him enough to really judge, but Nash is an ox on the ice.

The few times I've seen Nash live up here in Edmonton he was usually far and away the most threatening player on the ice for Columbus. I remember one barn burner where it went 8-5 or something silly and he chipped in with 4 points, including 3 goals in the losing effort.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that Zherdev is better than Nash, I am just pointing out how differently the media views two different players based on (what it looks like to me) their nationality.

$1.1 million is low for a player of Zherdev's caliber (I'd say over $2 million based on what other players around the league have gotten) just as $4.5 million is a bit high for Nash. Or maybe not, if he's the one pulling in the crowds.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

$1.1m is about what I guy like Horton got, and I don't expect e.g. Lupul to get a whole lot more. Nash is special, because he is a touted 1st-overall pick who already scored over 40 goals in a low-scoring season. I know Zherdev was a high pick too, but you can't readily compare him to Nash in terms of pure market value.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

I'll admit I spent a couple of dollars on a pair of hockey pool magazines today. Although I don't really read much into the hockey writers' predictions ( Edmonton 12th in the West? **** You The Hockey News!), it is nice to have a three year points total for the players.

And slowly the hockey bug is starting to bite again. I scored free comp tickets to one day of the training camp (thanks MOM!) and the new NHL game should be out next month.

Now we just need some snow... :blink:

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

He seems like the natural choice.

Regarding Mikhnov I'm not so worried. I mean, how the hell do the Oilers get the blame for this? They haven't even signed the player yet. Since Mikhnov handed in his notice and the Russians didn't sign any agreement the Oilers don't have to pay them squat when or if they sign him anyway.

Well, let's see, J.P. Dumont ends up in Nashville, and still Anson Carter gets no takers. It's good to see there is a god.

And the Hockey News yearbook came out today. For those Euros who probably don't get this on your side of the pond, to a lot of Canadians this is what we refer to as our 'bible'. There's a nice write up about who Mats Sundin is going to play with this season.

Of course I'm a little miffed that they have Edmonton slated for 12th in the west, but considering the fact that the magazine is written in Toronto it kind of puts a little bit of bias to it.

Here's what THN are predicting:

The East:

1.Carolina

2.Ottawa

3.Rangers

4.Devils

5.Sabres

6.Flyers

7.Montreal

8.Atlanta

9.Tampa Bay

10.Toronto

11.Florida

12.Boston

13.Pittsburgh

14.Islanders

15.Washington

The West:

1.Anaheim

2.Nashville

3.Calgary

4.Sharks

5.Dallas

6.Detroit

7.Minnesota

8.Columbus

9.Phoenix

10.Kings

11.Canucks

12.Edmonton

13.Colorado

14.Chicago

15.St.Louis

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Hmm, interesting rankings. I agree on a lot, but a few big ones I'm not sure on.

I think Carolina will drop off a bit, maybe fighting for the division, but not #1 in the East. I also think Washington will compete, maybe finishing 9th or 10th, but having a shot at the playoffs, but only if they find a hot young goalie. Kolzig is too old to play all season.

Anaheim will not take number 1 in the west. Their division is just too tight. They have a shot at the Pacific, but I think they have the same shot as the Sharks (and I'm trying not to be biased here!)

Columbus? In the playoffs? I'm not sold on that, Colorado, Vancouver, and Edmonton have a much better shot. I also think St. Louis is much improved, they finished strong last season.

If Thornton, and his goal buddy have as a good as season last year the Sharks have no exuse not to finish in the top 3 of their conference.

I'm surprised they have the two man Rangers ahead of the Flyers, and the Devils. That's just wishful thinking on my part.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anaheim will not take number 1 in the west.  Their division is just too tight.  They have a shot at the Pacific, but I think they have the same shot as the Sharks (and I'm trying not to be biased here!)

Columbus?  In the playoffs?  I'm not sold on that, Colorado, Vancouver, and Edmonton have a much better shot.  I also think St. Louis is much improved, they finished strong last season.

I agree, Columbus has a feeble chance at making the cut. They traded away one of their best goalies to the Lightning, and don't have much for depth past the first line and a half.

I usually don't like making predictions until the season actually starts, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Minnesota will take home the Northwest division banner this year.

And it should be noted that the writer who pegged Anaheim to take the title this year is also a douchebag by the name of Mike Brophy. Sure, they might stifle teams offence with the Weinermeyer and Pronger tandem, but to expect another ninety point season from Teemu Salami is like asking for Christmas to come twice in one year. During September... :x

As for my beloved Oil, I see another season of barely making the playoffs. Although I can't really comment on them until I see how our stripped down defence holds up and if Roloson has recovered from his knee injury.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

The silly thing is, they have spots 1, 4, and 5 pegged for Pacific division teams AND they put Phoenix and LA at 9 and 10. I don't even think that's mathematically possible with the new schedules. The Pacific teams will be feeding on eachother, I seriously doubt any of them have a shot at the top spot.

And why would they have Dallas pegged so high? I mean, Eric Lindros isn't really a great addition to any team. Ask Mkreku! :x"

I seriously see the Sharks taking the prize in your division this year. Alyn McCauley might be missed on the checking line, but Mike Grier and Curtis Brown are two of the better defensive forwards in the league. The only thing really missing is a top flight left winger to play with Thornton and Cheechoo. Plus some real help for Marleau on the second line. ;)"

I didn't watch a lot of Chicago games last season since there was no Ruutu after the first month or so, but Mark Bell is a big mean SOB who has a decent set of hands. Laozi is the Blackhawks expert, he can probably fill you in better than I can on what kind of player Bell is.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

14.Chicago

15.St.Louis

Chicago second to last, wtf?

Ruutu is going to need to crack a few skulls to get us some respect it seems.

And Bell is pretty good, not the best skater or shooter, but he'll make things happen by going bat-sh1t crazy at the goal and then harshing the other team's melo.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

To keep in mind, the Eastern Conference Finalists this year were slated to be something like 14th and 13th in the East last season.

Edmonton's success will come from the question marks that is their defense. If they can play solid, I think Edmonton will do very, very well.

Edited by alanschu

I'd say the only thing the Hockey News seems right about is St.Louis placing last in the west.

Ruutu still hasn't signed with the club for this season yet, has he? If he's healthy,look out. That kid plays mean and intense. If he and Havlat can stay out of the trainers' room they should both have great years.

And I love the analogy for Mark Bell, Laozi.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

The silly thing is, they have spots 1, 4, and 5 pegged for Pacific division teams AND they put Phoenix and LA at 9 and 10.  I don't even think that's mathematically possible with the new schedules.  The Pacific teams will be feeding on eachother, I seriously doubt any of them have a shot at the top spot.

Yeah, I too reckon that shouldn't be possible.

I don't see Edmonton finishing behind all of those teams in the same season, but as Alan says it'll be up to the D how we fare. We've sorted goaltending and have a very deep group of forwards, but Lowe is playing it cool with the defense. He'll upgrade when the right man becomes available, but hopefully the players we have on defense will have coped until then, because even if all those guys turn out the way we hope, that defense won't take us very far.