NHL

Darque

My most vivid memory of Desjardins was that hat trick in game 2 of the 1993 SCF. I was 13 years old and watched it in the middle of the night with my two Kings-loving friends. They were obviously gutted and I remember feeling a bit sorry for Gretzky.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

Well, trying to buy a player of Malkin's caliber for $200,000 is a bit of a travesty. They should have some sort of system that increased the payment, the higher the player is ranked. Personally I think it's sick that swedish clubs get the same amount of money regardless if they send Anders Eriksson or Peter Forsberg to the NHL.

Of course, the NHL is going to paint the russian hockey federation as the money grappbing crooks, as long as they can buy the next Lemieux for $200,000..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

His russian club has offered Malkin something like $20 million (according to rumours) to stay in Russia and play. Why not let the NHL teams match the offers from the russian clubs at least?

That Malkin situation is a little scary, especially given the goalie on his Metallurg (sp) team was killed, mob-hit style, a week or so ago, during his supposed transfer request to an Italian league club.

Edit: Oops, the article I saw was from 2001. :">

Edited by GhostofAnakin

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

His russian club has offered Malkin something like $20 million (according to rumours) to stay in Russia and play. Why not let the NHL teams match the offers from the russian clubs at least?

$20 million over how many years? Malkin may just want to get out of Russia. The Penguins don't have a huge amount of payroll to offer him, but it sounds like Malkin just wants to get to the NHL.

$20 million over how many years?  Malkin may just want to get out of Russia.  The Penguins don't have a huge amount of payroll to offer him, but it sounds like Malkin just wants to get to the NHL.

Penguins can't offer him more than the rookie maximum, anyway. So Malkin coming to the NHL is purely because he wants to play in the NHL, not because of monetary reasons, as he could probably earn more, at least in his first three seasons, over there.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Good Leafs news x2!

1. Owen Nolan is finally out of the picture. Totally. They somehow bought him out for an undisclosed amount of money. Speaking of money grabbing: Owen Nolan played 65 games total for the Leafs (one injury shortened season) but the guy demanded full payment for that season (naturally) AND the lockout season! And then he demanded to be paid in full for the last season in which he did not play one single game. Finally, he wanted a lot of money (rumours say $5 million) just to get his stinking, fat arse out of Toronto. GOOD RIDDANCE!

2. Mats Sundin recently caught a salmon weighing in at 13.5 kg (appr. 27 lbs)! That should get his spirit up and his game on! He also took to the ice for the first time since missing the playoffs yesterday. He declined practice with Djurg

A buddy of mine played pickup with Owen Nolan a few weeks ago. He was at the regular noon pickup we have at our local ice rink in San Jose. I'm not sure what that really says, although he was dominant, but that's not saying much against the guys at pickup. He also wasn't really trying very hard, but people still ducked when he took his shots, and he didn't really miss. Sounds like he's landing in Phoenix. He's only 34, but I don't imagine he'll have much impact. He only had one good season in San Jose, honestly.

Isn't it odd that, as soon as we talk about Malkin leaving Russia, we get a spam bot for a Russian travel agency?

Does Nolan still hold the Shark's scoring record?

He has quite a few off the all-time records. He lost all his single season ones this year to Marleau and Cheechoo. Don't get me wrong, he was a good player for the Sharks, but he was frustrating to watch. He dominated the league one year, but the rest of the time he was just good enough. He also played a ton of games, so his team records will be passed pretty soon by players like Marleau, Cheechoo, and Thornton.

http://www.sjsharks.com/team/records/individual.asp

That doesn't include this last year.

I still say my favorite Owen Nolan moment was when he called top shelf on Hasek during the all-star game a few years ( or was it a decade now?) ago.

There is going to be a lot of leadership in that Coyotes dressing room this season. I wonder if Roenick and Nolan will be able to coexist with current captain Shane Doan. Then again, you have to wonder if it'll be an issue since the chances of both Nolan and Roenick being healthy at the same time will be rare.

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

This Malkin business is a reminiscence of what was happening with Soviet players in the late 80s/early 90s (think Mogilny etc). I'm sure there'll be a bit of controversy, but hopefully it'll blow over. The scary thing is that a guy like Mogilny fled from a government and regime that no longer exists, whereas Malkin might be playing with the mafia here, and mafia people tend to have long memories. A bit scary, as GoA said.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

LOL If all it took was giving his 2 week notice of resignation to legally leave the team... why all the drama?

R00fles!

Frig, in NA, when an athlete signs a contract with a team they are basically a highly paid servant who is stuck even if the team is sabatoging them except in rare circumstances

L0LLERS!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

LOL If all it took was giving his  2 week notice of resignation to legally leave the team... why all the drama?

The "drama" is over the unknowns, such as the possibility of the Russian mob being involved, as well as "pressuring" Malkin to sign a contract (ie. threats to him or his family).

This whole Malkin fiasco is so going to turn into a really crappy CTV movie of the week, mark my words.

My choice to play Malkin? Hmmmm...how about Yakoff Smirnoff?

63891ih8.jpg

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.