10+ Dimensions, string theory fantasies or truth?

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php

Rubbish! I say. 3 dimensional euclidian space is all there is (with a timeline as an added pseudo-dimension on the side of course)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Interesting, nonetheless.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

time isn't a pseudo dimension. it is real, just not spatial. grasping the idea of 10 dimensions requires shedding the idea that dimensions are only spatial. there is no requirement for this, but it is the way most people perceive the concept of a dimension due to the way we are taught.

heck, i deal with many more than 10 dimensions in the work that i do. though they are a different kind of dimension.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I would be interested to see how they back their claims .. it seems more like a commercial* book than a scientific one (at least judging by the supposed content and layout of the site)

but an interesting theory nonetheless .. it took a little folding of the 5th dimension (through the 6th) for me to reach the point where I understood it .. but hey .. ^_^

*pseudoscience, with the only aim to make money

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't know about this site, but string theory is a serious and quite interesting scientific theory. It's really just an attempt at unifying the Standard Model (quantum mechanics and electromagnetism) with Relativity. This unification has become a very important goal in theoretical physics in recent years. So this business about extra dimensions isn't really the main point of string theory. What happened was that many years ago physicists discovered that uniting different forces becomes a lot easier when you add more dimensions (The flatlanders analogy explains how this happens fairly well (Flatland)). So the exrta dimensions weren't made up just for the hell of it, they're actually a requirement of string theory, and other theories before it.

Finally, I should point out that String Theory is, so far, just speculation. What is important about it is that it appears to be self consistent, something other unification theories before it weren't able to achieve. Now, the next step in string research is finding experimental corroboration for the theory. If that happens, it will be one of the greatest discoveries in physics of all time.

Other theories:

Kaluza-Klein Theory. (the beginning)

GUTs (Grand Unification Thories)

Supergravity

Have fun! :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There was a really good episode of Nova about string theory awhile back, lots of lamens terms and all.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

This is all well and good, but does any of this have any practical applications?  Okay, the universe has 10 dimensions or more.  Yippie skippy.

Well, electricity was thought to be pretty useless at the time Faraday did his experiments and nowadays our whole lives depend on it. The same could be said about relativity and quantum physics as well.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

Electricity, pffft. Who uses that, everything I use is fueled by hate or raw sex appeal, or a combination of both.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

The funny thing is that while, this website claims there are only 10 dimensions as the 10th dimension is that in which all others can be imagined as a single point, 'M-theory' string theory clearly says and mathematicly proves there to be 11 ;) You could just go ahead and say that there is an infinite number of dimensions.

But all of it is IMO just mathematical masturbation. If your equations require 48 dimensions to add up, that is not proof that there exists 48 dimensions. There is also no definition of what a dimension really is.

And isnt so, that every real "process" that can be measured, exists and can be described within the good old 3D+time? Some quantum mechanics experiments showed one particle to exist in two places at the same time, but that is probably because it moved too fast for the measuring equipment to register that movement.

If we take the old hypercube thing, its based on

(Line)^(Dimension Number) where lets say the line is 2cm long

2^0 is purely theoreticly mathematical for something that doesnt exist

2^1 is the same line, nothing happens

2^2 is a 2x2 square with no depth

2^3 is a cube where all sides consist of 2x2 squares

2^4 is a hypercube. its a 100% theoretical geometrical form that cannot be drawn or explained in any other way than through mathematics. it doesnt exist and cannot exist.

You can go and write 2^47629289464392 and it makes perfect mathematical sense, but everything above 2^3 is purely theoretical. In fact 2^2 and 2^1 are also theoretical since everything in reality has length, width and depth. They can be illustrated however.

This is all well and good, but does any of this have any practical applications?  Okay, the universe has 10 dimensions or more.  Yippie skippy.

Well, electricity was thought to be pretty useless at the time Faraday did his experiments and nowadays our whole lives depend on it. The same could be said about relativity and quantum physics as well.

Electricity is real, string theory is just a theory.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, string theory is so far completely theoretical. In fact that's one of the more unusual things about it. Usually a theory is created to explain some sort of new phenomenom that isn't explained by current theories. However, in this case the theory was arrived at by accident and now people are actually trying to find some sort of observable event that is only explained by it so that they can test the theory.

By the way, General Relativity was just mathematical masturbation, too. :D

@Moose: Where did you see that?

Heja Sverige!!

The funny thing is that while, this website claims there are only 10 dimensions as the 10th dimension is that in which all others can be imagined as a single point, 'M-theory' string theory clearly says and mathematicly proves there to be 11 :lol: You could just go ahead and say that there is an infinite number of dimensions.

actually, he discusses this in his forum. based on some logical thought, he actually connects the 10th and 11th dimensions.

But all of it is IMO just mathematical masturbation. If your equations require 48 dimensions to add up, that is not proof that there exists 48 dimensions. There is also no definition of what a dimension really is.

true, but these dimensions are not a result of "it was required, so we invented them", they are a direct result of logical extension of what a dimension is.

And isnt so, that every real "process" that can be measured, exists and can be described within the good old 3D+time?

no. parallel universes cannot.

it doesnt exist and cannot exist.

it doesn't exist to you. that was also part of the explanation. he was pretty clear on what can and cannot be perceived by humans. we are limited to the 4 dimensions (three purely spatial, one time).

gravity is just a theory too. but it certainly exists. theory is actually something that started out as hypothesis then, through mathematical and scientific rigor, is shown to be true though without proof (proof in the scientific world is next to impossible). relativity, too, is only theory but it is one of the most tested and more than likely, true theories around.

taks

Edited by taks

btw, i'm not commenting on whether or not this guy's theory of "what the dimensions represent" is correct or not. he's not a physicist, and has stated so elsewhere on his website, however, he seems to be employing a philosophical version of what they represent. i find it plausible, however, but i cannot confirm a true connection to the "string theory" version of 10/11 dimensions that's out there.

taks

I know a little bit... :mellow:

Heja Sverige!!

Meta just cut and pastes wikipedia tbh. I remember a thread about quantum computers he completely explained wrong; it was then I lost faith : /

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I care. It's really interesting.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.