5 new Gothic III screenshots

Engine engine engine..... what's wrong with you graphics whores?

Oblivion with it's fat faces and girlish LotR style doesn't stand a chance against the rich and artfully crafted world of Gothic.

I'm just replaying Gothic1 now and no single moment I feel it's obsolute technology gets into my way.

Oh, and the Orcs look awesome, kinda frigthening, not goofy and silly a'la DnD.

As long as Gothic 3 works even semi-fluidly on low graphics, I couldn't care less how good or bad the graphics are. I've seen the amount of effort which's been spent to make the game look like it looks like and I'm in awe.

I wholeheardtedly trust that PB can deliver, they have yet to let me down even once.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Screw the graphics.  Does it really matter whether this has more advanced graphics than Oblivion or vice versa?  If they stay to the previous series, the environment and gameplay will be miles ahead for my money.

As an aside...Warcraft?  The characters are stylised but this is a dark and gritty gameworld - perhaps Warhammer might be closer to the mark.  You won't find bright pastel colours here.

1) The OP is about the graphics in G3, so that's what I was talking about in the thread. If someone makes a thread about G3's story or skill system, I'll talk about that.

2) Oblivion is the first CRPG I've ever played where the graphics were of such quality that they enhanced my level of enjoyment and immersion in the game. The first non-crpg that did this for me was Farcry. Until then I had always been of the opnion that graphics didn't matter much. But seeing what these new engines can do has caused me to totally change my mind. Graphics are really important now in creating a gameworld, and the engines are becoming more and more integrated into the gameworld and affect how the game is played, not just how it looks.

3)World of Warcarft was what I first though of when I saw the screenies. Not sayign it looks exactly like it, merely that it has a cartoony look. Not as bad as Wow of course, which is cartoon city stylistically. Cartoony was OK for XCOM and MOO and Duke 3D, but I'm not big on it in my games anymore.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

What I'm still unclear on is whether Gothic series is RPG or action-RPG.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The latter.

Does it matter?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

If by action you mean "taking control of your own character" then yes. No, if you think of action as Diablo-esque click-fests.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There is no loothunt, but there is grinding. It's enjoyable and atmoshperic grinding, but grinding nevertheless.

kirottu said:

I include the Diablos, GuildWars, WoW, DungeonSiege etc. in the action-RPG category. I consider Oblivion to be a sort of hybrid.

And yes it's important to me. If it's somewhere between WoW and Oblivion, I'll likely try it. If it's a super-serious RPG w/tons of story/dialogue decisions around every corner, I may not, as I don't have the patience lately for such games. >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

see:

we don't see the Gothic games as RPG games in the narrower sense. We rather consider them fantasy action adventures with certain role-playing enrichments.

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131

so no, Gothic3 will not be a "real" RPG

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

1) The OP is about the graphics in G3, so that's what I was talking about in the thread.  If someone makes a thread about G3's story or skill system, I'll talk about that.

Sure. And I'm just expressing my opinion that if the graphics in Oblivion turn out to be better than Gothic 3's, I won't be surprised but I still expect G3 to will be the better game for my tastes because of other factors.

Gothic 3 has most likely not even half the budget of Oblivion so I would be surprised if they managed to accomplish a graphics engine that advanced (and pretty)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

They've (Piranha Bytes) admitted that Gothic 3 will not have any pre-rendered sequences (like the Brothel sequence in Gothic 2 >_<) ) because of lack of funds. I guess they'll be doing the sex scenes in-game instead..

Edited by mkreku

Sure, I'd conceed Oblivion will probably look better in some ways (even though the technology base is the same)...but there is more to it than just the technology. The original Gothics have things like a better sense of height and scale with bluffs and cliffs than are miles ahead of Oblivion, along with other advantages such as a continuous gameworld with (almost) no loads. It adds much more for me to stand at an alchemist's door and watch him work etc etc than higher ploy counts and HDR offer.

They've (Piranha Bytes) admitted that Gothic 3 will not have any pre-rendered sequences (like the Brothel sequence in Gothic 2 >_<) ) because of lack of funds. I guess they'll be doing the sex scenes in-game instead..

And those pre-rendered scenes were the reason why you couldnt make your own character. With this, youd hope theyd give more options in regard to the look of the PC.

Sure, I'd conceed Oblivion will probably look better in some ways (even though the technology base is the same)...but there is more to it than just the technology.  The original Gothics have things like a better sense of height and scale with bluffs and cliffs than are miles ahead of Oblivion

Gothic 2 uses a much smaller map which is 100% hand-built Geometry whereas Oblivion generate hills and mountains with heightmaps. You cant have overhanging cliffs and so on with heightmaps since they only allow displacement along the Y axis.

[snip]

so no, Gothic3 will not be a "real" RPG

Than I'll likely try it out when it's released. >_<

I wish my game patience would come back....

@ Dhruin - I've come to like and enjoy nice graphics in newer games, but I don't care much about lightning effects or 'real' physics. I'm not fond of the 3D polygon look tho, and since being 3D is the 'thing' now, any advances that move towards getting rid of that awful disjointed/blocky look I'm all for.

And those pre-rendered scenes were the reason why you couldnt make your own character.

Nope. Completely wrong. The story was always written around the premade nameless character. The cutscenes had nothing to do with that, it was a delibarate design choice by Piranha Bytes to skip the character generation. They just wanted to throw you into the game, without going through a bunch of statistical menus first.

Im more inclined to believe it was a "design choice" brought on by the technical limitations of having static pre-rendered cutscenes. You can change the PC model(to any model in the game) with the console in a flash, so they could easily have given the player several different visual choices.

Gothic 2 uses a much smaller map which is 100% hand-built Geometry whereas Oblivion generate hills and mountains with heightmaps. You cant have overhanging cliffs and so on with heightmaps since they only allow displacement along the Y axis.

I don't care about their technical limitations - all I care about is what I get in game.

A good story and very few bugs would be my main concern. Having decent looking graphics is secondary.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

A good story and very few bugs would be my main concern. Having decent looking graphics is secondary.

Well, then the Gothics wouldnt be a first choice for you. :rolleyes:"

Well, then the Gothics wouldnt be a first choice for you. :rolleyes:"

Huh?

Gothic's story wasn't stellar or anything, but it was solid for what it was...

I don't remember any bugs on my playthroughs through them...well, I was currious how I could fall hundreds of feet without injury, but what the hell, ya know?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

From what I have read in the game magazines, Gothic 3 would appear to be a good game. The first two have a decent fan following and those games are rated at a decent percentage compared to other games of the same genre.

What did you not like about the first two Kaftan?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester