What Music Are You Currently Listening To?

Darth Launch

Does anyone know the name of that song?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

ETOS - Sakura no rei

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That was fantastic.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Makes you think how crappy all popular guitarrists really are.

Heja Sverige!!

Well, I already thought that, but still, it's different. As in, she is an exceptional classical guitar player and all, but I mean, there are so many different areas in guitar one could focus on. This is just one area. She can play, but then there are plenty of guitarists who can't play like her, but probably can play better than her in a different area. As in, maybe she can't improvise with a group of other musicians. She might not be able to just get together with some people and jam.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Well, improv is more a question of different musical education.

On the other hand, the difference in pure skill between this lady and, say, Jimmy Page or Malmsteen or whoever, is simply abyssal.

Heja Sverige!!

That's what I was talking about. Different education.

How exactly do you measure skill, Pidesco, objectively, I mean?

(And by that I mean, to make things clearer, how exactly do you compare those 3 guitarists?)

Lester Young - Sweet Lorraine

The Band - The W.S. Walcott Medicine Show

Edited by Baley

Well, in terms of guitar playing I guess the complexity of what you can do with a guitar is a part of it, and also there's the question of precision. Finally, and here is where objectivity goes out the window, there's the matter of virtuosity.

When comparing the lady in the video with, to use my previous example, Jimmy Page, is that I'm betting she can do everything he can with a guitar, while the opposite is almost certainly not true.

Edit: This a reply to Baley's unedited post.

Edited by Pidesco

Heja Sverige!!

That statement might actually be, you know, correct if Page considered himself a classical instrumentalist. As things are though, you're comparing Bangers and Bratwursts. Sure they might look similar from afar, and they're sorta done with the same tools, but, uh, I don't really know where I'm going with this metaphor, my apologies, you see, I'm not exactly passionate about sausages.

Li Jie's a good classical guitarist, but please, you're basically comparing a 20 something posh virtuoso to one of the most important|influential guitarists in the history of rock, and I ain't even that big a Led Zep fan, do you not see how ludicrous such statements are? Look, there's more to guitar "skill" than just technique, Page wasn't even about technique, you listen to those early Zep records, he's basically channelling the spirit of Robert Johnson, to keep with this cliche, it's about the soul, man. What I'm saying is that pure technique doesn't make you a skillful or great guitarist, it makes you a machine, without soul or emotional involvement you're just a dummy playing by your masters' rules and wishes.

You have to understand that technical proficiency is a horrible thing to look for in music, yeah, there are a thousand wankers wankering over their instruments with little or no dedication, that doesn't make 'em more valuable on a grand scale than a Page, a Johnson, a James or a House.

But the most important thing's the fact they play different types music, that's it, basically, any comparisons are useless because their goals and their styles are completely and utterly different.

Edited by Baley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEyKWOlkou0...=zelda%20guitar

I'm pretty sure I have that same Ukulele.

One: Structurally speaking, I don't think classical guitar is that different from jazz/blues guitar.

Two: I didn't say that all there was to music was technique.

Three: Are you saying Li Jie's plays guitar without soul or emotional involvement (or whatever)?

Listening to: Crounching Tiger, Hidden Dragon OST

Heja Sverige!!